Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remember...

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    All the oldies...

Do you remember the pyramid shaped packet milk in the early days? Wat brand were they....when did they become "extinct"...when they first started? Anyone got the facts/photos?

Im juz plain curious.
    i remember the pyramid shaped packets, but it wasn't milk. it was marketed by Sunkist juice and they were called Tetra packs (short for tetrahedron, the shape of the packets.)

back then, my favourite juice was Tang...
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Deregistered

There's also books like

Friday Newspaper (Xing Qi Wu Zhou Bao)
    Young Generation
    Book Worm books too

Other TV shows included:
    Carebears
    Mask
    Visionaries
    Transformers!!! *My fave
    Bionic Woman
    My Little Pony
    The Golden Girls
    Win Lose or DRAW
    My Genie

Goodness... I miss them!!

Also when younger, there's always the monitor roles in class to assume, class monitor, science monitor, P.E. monitor, virtually every thing also can 'monitor' one.

I also miss those make shift kah-chiang puteh man that would sell 10c and 20c downstairs at my first home near the *** kindergarten places.

Also at night there'd be a ice-cream man selling ice-cream below for 40c and 60c, bread or cup or popsicle. *SIGH*

Not to forget the frozen syrup sticks that you can get from shops at 10c, where you try desperately to remove the top by biting and twisting it off? And spend the next 15mins sucking on it to get cool juice out.

Still have the little Doreamon boxes that comes with a toy and chocolates inside!

Not forgetting that 8Days was once called "Radio and TV times" at only 60c and in a small shaped like exercise book.

Unforgettable is the sad case where two boy from Cambridge Primary School was abducted and was never found again.

Remember also the sweets like Sour Apple and Sour Lemon? The first time they appeared, they really were fun to trick friends who never had them before

Also the little 'gum' sticks that by putting it over a 'straw' that's very hard, and blowing, 'balloons' appear? Heehee

At that time I think TVs didn't really come with remote because I had to switch channels manually!!!

I still remember shows like Yi Jia Yi (1+1) and Bin Feng Ba San, on channel 8.

Channel 5 was my favourite because 6.30 every weekday without fail, cartoons are always showing!!

Teengage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    and more!

I still remember the older compasses where you have to use a special lead to draw the circles, until I met the first mechanical ones that uses normal pencil leads.

Wink

Anyone remember there is big grape flavour sweet in translucent purple colour wrapper?
    selling 2 for 5cents. That wan really cannot find le leh.

Then got the pink colour soap bottle with blur caps use to blow bubble.

Then also got "kaka" the snack.

Then got once in my era, the water bottle in the shape of a BIG walkie talkie n binoculors was a hit.

Then got those strap that can attached to mineral water bottles.

Gummy bears..bouncing here and there and everywhere....
    And straw berry shortcake, sesemee street
    Ghosts busters...tom and jerry. (I still got the sticker book, full wan leh )

Western bar (mine is still working in good condition)
    Submarine battle (think this died liao)
    And octopus....(this wan dunno go where liao, anyway it wasnt mine)

My teacher ask me to bite chalk because I talk too much

Gals go toilet must go in twos. Line up in pairs, then must hold hand....dunno why?

My uncle the camera cannot wind the film itself wan...take wan then must wind once...dunno wat camera is that....forgot the brand

Then got those pack selling idols card...must touch the package see whether can touch those gold card or not..those with shiny layers wan
    Last edited by jnifur; 8th December 2003 at 12:01 AM.
    Dancing desert scorpion
    :devil:

Talking

hmmm .....

when ur frenz would be jealouz of u if u have a Super Nitendo at home .....

when Uncharted Waters n Romance of the Three Kindoms 2 were among the hottezt RPG gamez .....

when the firzt verzion of Street Fighter waz the favourite game at arcardez .....

when u could eazily remember wat cartoon would be showing at wat time of the day but u couldnt even remember wat waz taught in clazz after sch .....

when u would be very much satizfied by juzt hanging around the toyz section of departmental storez bcoz ur parentz refuze to buy them for u .....

when there waz still a hawker center rite next to the river zide at the place next to where Fullerton Hotel iz now standing .....

when the chineze newz on TV waz aired at 8pm inztead of 10pm .....

when they were still showing thiz long long long long tv serial called si4 dai4 tong2 tang2 .....

Just remembered:

remember those sweets that's like polo but then can whistle? 'pipi tang'?

The days of painting school shoes white with those roll on white stuff.......

The 5-cents-a-piece chewing gum with an Indian boy on the wrapper. The inside of the wrapper has a water-transfer "tatoo" design. Just wet your skin where your want the "tatoo" and lay the wrapper over the skin to transfer the "tatoo" design.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by jnifur
    Gals go toilet must go in twos. Line up in pairs, then must hold hand....dunno why?

Er...they still do it now...isn't it?...

All the oldies...

Do you remember the pyramid shaped packet milk in the early days? Wat brand were they....when did they become "extinct"...when they first started? Anyone got the facts/photos?

Im juz plain curious.

I think during my time the pyramid milk was sold for 50c per pack!
    Oh, and I never could finish one whole pack on my own!!

Reminds me of pri sch days when I used to "order milk" in school, which would be delivered to the classrooms before recess time. I used to pray it would be chocolate milk, and NOT banana milk!

And of coz there's the 30c noodles in sch tuckshop... And once a week everyone brings their mug & brush teeth by the drain after recess time...

Hmm... just got reminded of paper dolls...
    Last edited by isis; 9th December 2003 at 01:27 AM.

Last time indeed still got REX cinema, but now it turned into nightclub. Cartoon such as Marine-Boy, and a Chinese one which has a boy with Yo-Yo always fighting against the Niu Mo Wang

I remember "Newsroom" back in 1984. I use Pagemaker now.

Isetan used to have a branch at Havelock Road opposite Concorde Hotel And remote control cars used to be the in thing?

There used to be this red driving toy by Tomy (I think) where you could control the gears, ignition key and the road will appear on a little screen...I never had that...

Quote Originally Posted by lutz
    Isetan used to have a branch at Havelock Road opposite Concorde Hotel
    they had this resting area at the main entrance and beside the sliding door is the donation box (for salvation army?) of this little girl and another one of a dog. On the outside is the $0.20 music aeroplane machine.......

Too old for me.. I born in 1986..

But i remember the cartoons...

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox
    they had this resting area at the main entrance and beside the sliding door is the donation box (for salvation army?) of this little girl and another one of a dog. On the outside is the $0.20 music aeroplane machine.......

gosh, i always wanted one of these! I think see them around two years ago somewhere!

no wait.... i think its donation for SPCA

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    lode runner
    Dig Dug
    Space Invaders
    Pacman, and variations, eg Pacgal

Commodore 64 and HP computers that were used cassette tape for storage.

Apple ][ with 48K RAM
    - When cannot boot, open up casing and press the chips and cards
    - Heat sink and fans were still not a part of microcomputers yet
    - Peek and Poke commands
    - Applesoft BASIC and Integer BASIC
    - 5.25" floppy diskettes that were single-sided single-density 180KB. My very first piece was 3M brand costing $13 per piece ! Had to cut another notch at opposite edge to use it double-sided for total of 360KB

Marbles made of marble material (aka Goh Lee - sounds like Singapore's impending PM transition !)
    - Can be played in many formats, one-on-one or teams. Objective was to send your opponents' "balls" to London.
    - Some guys would use black iron ball bearings that smashed everybody else's marbles

Marbles made of glass
    - The best ones are somehow called "Goondu"

Pick-up Sticks made of coloured satay sticks
    Home-made Five Stones filled with green beans

Catch spider during recess
    - The "ang ge" and green backside type were among the most powerful
    - The ghost type is lousy
    - Bigger may not necessarily win
    - Need a female to "long bu". Perhaps this was how the phrase "**** Spider" came about.
    - Use match box with a leaf inside as the spiders' home. Also serves as platform for the spider fights.

A pair of sister singers called Ming2 Zhu1 Jie3 Mei4

Quah Kim Song and his brothers Kim Lye, Kim Siak, etc, and sister Rosa Quah
    Dollah Kassim, Mohd Noh, Samad Allapitchay
    Eric Paine, Lee Bee Seng, Lim Chiew Peng, Edmund Wee
    Choo Seng Quee

All the oldies...

Im juz plain curious.
    Ok, here is one oldie who was a kid in the 60's.

The pyramid shape milk shld be "Magnolia" - bright yellow and red cols. I think the price then was $0-60. Most family (middle income) could only afford one and only the skinny and favourite child can drink, the rest only watched! It was sold by trishaw man.
    The rich will shop at: Robinson at Raffles Place, Metro at High Street and Fitzepatrick-before Cold Storage (Centrepoint), CK Tang & Metro (Before Taka) at Orchard Road. The only hip place to be seen is at the car park hawkers (b4 Newton centre), now opp centrept.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmetBox

Gosh!....yeah...I remember the girl and the dog. On the 1st floor they had this Japanese supermarket that sold little Japanese toys that you could put together yourself - little transformable cars, robots - this became my foundation for tamiya cars and transformers!!

On going up to the top floor, the escalator became a single one - I used to prop myself up on the handles all the way up

Yeah, the good ole days indeed.
    Saladbowl near cold storage, red house (victoria st), hilda's fashion house, the entry of chinese emporiums into the retail market, the robinson's fire, year-end floods, using slippers and plastic bags to 'chope place' at government clinic queues, original satay club at beach road, 2-way orchard road, catching rock concerts from hill top at rear of national theatre, mx, ganja, house parties, friendly neighbours, metro, metrotex, eating hotdogs at jacky's bowl at orchard cinema, smelly rochor canal, weekly pasar malams, sji/ri rivalry, sji/acs fights, anti-mandarin attitude, collecting FREE cigarettes distributed at wedding dinners, ice-balls, ice=sticks, elvis, bruce lee, shintaro and the white ninjas, thunderbirds, rado show, citizen show (hk), cantonese movies and tv shows, news in dialects, wong peng soon, uncle choo (maju jaya), majid arif, wonderland, surviving on 20 (primary) to 50 (sec) cents-a-day school allowance, avoiding the malay security man at mph book store, admiring uncles' twin reflex cameras, sticking black and white photos onto black photo album pages using those cute triangular or butterfly shaped stickers, open reel tape recorders, ep, sp, lp records, grundig, greatz, siera, telefunken, sharp television brands . . . sigh.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234