Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember...

Originally posted by roygoh
    Remember the earlier TV programs?

- Animation "Xiao3 Qing1 Wah1" (Little Frog?). The title song goes "xiao qing wah, gu gua gu gua, xiao qing wah, gu gua gu gua, da yian da zui ba..."
    - Animation "Xiao3 Mu4 Ou3" (unbelievably expanded version of Pinocio)
    - Animation "Xiao3 Bao3 Li4 Xian3 Ji4" the boy whose girl friend got captured by an evil lord, and he tried to save here in every episode, and his couragous efforts always failed at the last minute?
    - Taiwanese seriese "Bao3 Biao1" that never got broadcast completely as there were so much complains from viewers about the slow moving story?
    - The original Justise Bao (Bao1 Qing1 Tian1).
    - Japanese "Ultraman", "Giant Robot".
    u forget about xiao tian tian. I was like scratching my head that time "wat was that stupid show about".

Perhaps it was gal's show

Originally posted by ninelives
    u forget about xiao tian tian. I was like scratching my head that time "wat was that stupid show about".

Perhaps it was gal's show
    Oooo......I do remember, that never ending story!
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

what about He-Man, Master of the Universe?

Originally posted by wildhoney
    what about He-Man, Master of the Universe?
    he man is not lar, it was during the year of 1986-1988.

/me cough cough.

huh 1986-8 not counted?

when you are young (12-16), you wish that u can age faster so you can do wat ever u want. you mom won;t nag at you.

when you are old (30 above), you wish that you are young so that you can do wat a 16 years old boy can do.

ironic..

I really enjoy reading this thread. I missed them so much

In the school,
    - Zhi1 shi1 bao4, newspaper for students
    - Teacher using a long wooden ruler with a holder at the centre to draw line on black board
    - Public caning
    - Zero point using rubber band
    - Metal secondary school badge pin above pocket

TV Show
    - Wonder woman
    - Six million dollar man

Singer
    - Liu Wen Zheng
    - Fen Fei Fei

Shopping
    - Queensway Shopping Centre
    - Emporium, ying1 bao2 lian2
    - Oriental, dong1 fang1
    - BestWay
    - Da4 Zhong4 at Queenstown (Tear down already)

Remember the time when the government encourages savings through schools? You have to buy the stamps and paste on the savings card. Once full, they will collect the cards and help you to bank 'it' in? 10 cents stamps?

Originally posted by wildhoney
    i remember.....

grease...
    care bears...
    superman...
    supergirl...
    cliff richard...
    john travolta...
    olivia newton john...

nothing else.
    strawberry shortcake!
    smurfs!

Remember in primary school (1970's) the Ministry of Health will send doctors/nurses to schools to conduct checkups? Those who are considered too skinny will have to drink a special kind of chalky milk every day during recess.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Remember how the schools cultivate good oral habits? We have to bring our own mug and toothbrush. We used to be very disciplined when we line up and squat in front of the open drain. My form teacher will lead the whole class in cleaning our teeth, always emphasizing the "top-down" direction and not the "left-right" direction.

How about watching Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi in Orden Katong?

Collecting as many Star Wars figurines and crossing out those you just brought on a yellow backdrop card.

Watching cartoons all sunday morning!

watching cartoons on 6pm

Playing with GI Joe, MASK, sky commanders, transformers!

Watching those blue ppl on the sunday morning!

And how about the old places, like katong, parkway, metro @ katong, east coast, centrepoint, lucky plaza. Times were different then!

kelso
    Guests

Remember Chinese New Year when you can't sleep at all because of the non-stop fire-crackers and the next day the pavement would be covered in red. Back then CNY was a such a magical time and visiting relatives was like an expedition, travelling to all the ulu places.
    Back then travelling was done in trishaws, STC buses and pa-wong chey (pirated taxis where you have to talk price 1st).
    Remember the black & white tvs that weighs a ton with the wooden cabinets and vacuum tubes.

Haha! I am reviving this thread to see if we can get more interesting contributions.

Remember the Mahna mahna song from Sesame Street and Muppet Show?

http://www.menteb.org/inside/muppets/

i think they still have this now .. but do u remember urself pestering ur parents to let u have a go at the engine-powered car at the void deck or some open area(toa payoh)

2nd chance (clothes boutique), ring a bell?

stickers of all sorts...smurfs etc. a few years down the road came "ou xiang ka" (idol cards)

black recorder for music lessons in sch? i remember everyone having a white(beige) recorder, but those who wants a better 1 can get a black recorder from the bookshop

i remember a game where the gers really excelled. rubber bands were connected all hundreds of them to form a long rubbery rope kind of thing. then the player must jump over them. there are apparently 2 types of game, 1 is the 2 fellows at the end are sitting down. the advance 1 would be the 2 fellows actually standing. i wondered how my frens can clear tat.

anyone remembered ur pri sch ordering milk for the students. and there would be alot of leftover cardboard boxes? hee, tat can be use to link up to play choo choo train.

how can we forget xiao ding dang chocolate? there would be a new toy everytime. my fav toy is the 1 with a blower and a ball. just place the ball on top of the blower and blow.!

til next time when i think of more..

hehz i saw the pyramid shaped milk in Darwin, most recently was september 03
    my mum says it was in singapore long long ago.. haha
    only saw this thread today, saw the first post and decided to reply to it.

i think the milk is available in the supermarkets in australia

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    Then came AT computers...alley cat..and wats tat game called...the one with the little stick figure which can zap holes in the floor...climb here climb there...haaaa
    lode runner

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    Haha! I am reviving this thread to see if we can get more interesting contributions.

Remember the Mahna mahna song from Sesame Street and Muppet Show?

http://www.menteb.org/inside/muppets/
    wow....... back from the dead....... n thus here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99
    Used to have one of the early apple computers with green screen...play Taipan whole day everyday...haaaaa

Then came AT computers...alley cat..and wats tat game called...the one with the little stick figure which can zap holes in the floor...climb here climb there...haaaa

then there's Atari....nintendo....haaaa

then im sure most of you would be DAMN FAMILIAR WITH:

UP - UP - DOWN - DOWN - LEFT - RIGHT - LEFT - RIGHT - A - B - SELECT - START

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it's B - A - Select - Start

heheheeeeeeee...........

y no one mention chewing gum and bubble gum? Those that comes in the form of cigarettes for the smoker wannabes? They have chocolates in the forms of cigarettes too.......

SBC.

Da4 Ge1 Da4 (water bottle handphone)

Young generation magazines with constable acai

hardy boys and nancy drew

the bookworm club

Panini sticker books of which you could exchange for some freebies if you manage to fill the whole book.

We never got bored of the ever repeating sesame street

kaka and ding dang? - the one that comes with a free toy

I love neme?

Those colourful sling waterbottles with a straw was the IN thing!

Primary school revolved around Ali and Ahmad. They seem to be unable to find any other names.......

everyone carried handkerchiefs. Its a luxury using toilet paper.

BATA was super branded.

KFC was considered high class and served using metal utensils with glass plates.

Sharity Elephant.

The POSB chipmunk that saves acorns for rainy days.

Only the rich wore crocodile.

Tamiya cars.

Atari (circus circus and space invaders were) the most popular game, game genie, nintendo, sega, super nintendo, super disk, game boy and game gear.

Western bar! Donkey Kong!

Think of more later then continue.
    Last edited by HelmetBox; 6th December 2003 at 09:55 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast