Thread: Comparison: Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye and Sigma 10mm f/2.8 DC EX Fisheye

Default Comparison: Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye and Sigma 10mm f/2.8 DC EX Fisheye

I have both the Rokinon branded Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye and the Sigma 10mm f/2.8 DC EX Fisheye in A-mount for APS-C DSLRs and wanted to see what images would be produced by these 2 lenses when used on the same camera at the same position.

According to reviews, the Samyang and Sigma fisheyes are supposed to be designed according to different projection types. The projection type of the Sigma is equidistant while that of Samyang is stereographic. Stereographic projection is supposed to be produce more eye-pleasing images and is more difficult to make resulting usually in more expensive prices.

Although both lenses are supposed to give the same field of view of 180 degrees on an APS-C sensor, I found that the Samyang is producing a wider coverage than the Sigma in line with its focal length of 8mm compared to Sigma's 10mm.

These were taken with both lenses on a Sony A55. The aperture on both lenses were kept constant at f/5.6.

Samyang

Sigma

Samyang

Sigma

Both the Samyang and the Sigma are almost equally sharp but the Sigma has more rectilinear distortion (straight lines are more curved) and more colour fringing at the edges.
    Last edited by tomcat; 4th March 2011 at 12:13 PM.

Default Re: Comparison: Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye and Sigma 10mm f/2.8 DC EX Fisheye

Samyang

Sigma
    The pillars at the left side are significantly more curvy than those in the Samyang version.

Samyang

Sigma
    More visible colour fringing at the top of the Sigma version than the Samyang one.

Default Re: Comparison: Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye and Sigma 10mm f/2.8 DC EX Fisheye

Samyang

Sigma
    Wider coverage from the Samyang lens and more rectilinear appearance makes it a very cost efficient alternative for a rectilinear UWA prime lens for landscape photography

Samyang
    1/30s f/5.6 at 8.0mm ISO 400

Sigma
    1/30s f/5.6 at 10.0mm ISO 800
    Again wider coverage and more rectilinear (and more attractive?) appearance comes in useful in such situations. Another bonus I noticed is that if the camera is set to Auto ISO mode like in this case, the Samyang lens could result in the use of a lower ISO due to the larger coverage especially if there is more light coming in in those areas not covered by the Sigma lens.

So what do you guys think?
    Considering that the Sigma 10mm costs more than twice that of the Rokinon 8mm and the fisheye effect of Rokinon (Samyang) seems to be more attractive especially at the edges where it is more rectilinear, don't you think that it's is actually a quite-good-value-for-money lens?
    Last edited by tomcat; 4th March 2011 at 01:02 PM.

It seems that the samyang is a better choice, being wider and has a more HDR effect. Cheaper too. Although it is a MF lens, which doses not matter for a FE.
    Thanks for the side by side comparison.

hi tomcat... i personally own the samyang 8mm fisheye too. and, i love it. honestly, i use it mainly as a fun lens. i do frequently do take band performance with the lens too. it covers a very wide angle, although im using a crop sensor body.

this lens also serve me well doing landscape photographies. if you dont mind, i would like to share some of my photos in this thread.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...fisheye-at-CBD

this was taken when i just got the lens to test it. im amazed with the iq and sharpness of it.

i just wanted to know can the samyang and sigma used in fullframe ? is there any vignneting ? thx.

If I were to buy a fisheye surely I go for Samyang. The pic are more striking and crisp.
    NIKON f2.8 black GOLD
    Canon pure White

great comparison TomCat... I made my order of Samyang FE hopefully it'll arrive before my family holiday will bring this lens to play around. This is my 1st ever FE so hopefully I could get use to it really fast =)
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse
    It seems that the samyang is a better choice, being wider and has a more HDR effect. Cheaper too. Although it is a MF lens, which doses not matter for a FE.
    Thanks for the side by side comparison.
    How much do the lens cost?

Quote Originally Posted by afinozz View Post
    How much do the lens cost?
    If Samyang, about US$290 (before shipping) from ebay, and ~S$500+ if bought locally.