Thread: Ethics of local press

Default Ethics of local press

I am personally disturbed by the recent reporting of this news (and perhaps many others in the past years all along too):
    http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne...02-266181.html
    where the pictures of the minor children were published on front pages of newspaper. I first saw it on Lianhe Wanbao, when I google, I found the asiaone link with more images. In my humble opinion, I personally feel that some privacy and respect must be accorded to the dead and the surviving kins of the deceased victims. Will showing the faces/identity of the victims benefit the public more? Or benefit the paper more?

Shouldn't there be some considerations of limiting further trauma and harm to the surviving kins?

Another thing that bothers me is that these are private citizens, and involving minors/children, not some celebrities or public figures. Is there a need to comment about the 'suspected infidelity'? What kind of damage would be inflicted upon her? Has the media reporting already 'sentenced her'? Regardless of what she really did it is still her private matters, isn't it so? Again should there be some sympathy for a mother who had just lost both children?

My questions may be unfounded and my opinions may be flawed, if there are any journalists (ex or present) or sociologists here who would care to share some enlightening insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ethics of local press

well... there is actually are principles of journalism which is a good measure of what is expected from the journalists...

http://www.journalism.org/resources/principles
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 3rd March 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Blog Entries

well... must also remember. news has shifted nowadays. what used to be a reliable source of information in the past, has now become a medium for profit making through ads.

the last thing u want is no one read ur papers. hence u need some gossipy news to draw ppl in.

thats my take lar. emotionally...dead people probably cant feel anything. but the impact on the poor woman who hasnt got her name cleared yet might be devastating.

in that case, yes. there is no need to privy into this. this is not a need to know, or a good to know. woman privacy shldnt be infringed in this sense.

i've not taken much of the Chinese news reports with much seriousness. whatever serious news, they'll downplay it until the news becomes gossip.

i feel that the Chinese dailies have no standard at all, their images are sub-standard and gossip runs throughout each article. most of the time, the images are taken off facebook or websites.

i once ran into an old boy from my alma mater. he used to be a journalist for the Chinese Dailies. and he told me, that back in his heyday, journalists were expected to capture their own images and the quality of the articles were much better.

these days....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i've not taken much of the Chinese news reports with much seriousness. whatever serious news, they'll downplay it until the news becomes gossip.

i feel that the Chinese dailies have no standard at all, their images are sub-standard and gossip runs throughout each article. most of the time, the images are taken off facebook or websites.

i once ran into an old boy from my alma mater. he used to be a journalist for the Chinese Dailies. and he told me, that back in his heyday, journalists were expected to capture their own images and the quality of the articles were much better.

these days....
    sg one is somewhat better than other countries. at least its just gossip.

u shld see this
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7743434902428#

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    sg one is somewhat better than other countries. at least its just gossip.

u shld see this
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7743434902428#
    LOL i don't usually trust the media these days. anything can and will be fabricated to push a story. who's to say anything's still real anymore?

too many cover-ups and stuff...

and then there's wikileaks. that's not journalism. that's just irresponsibility at its worst. with blatant disregard to the chaos it can cause.

well... must also remember. news has shifted nowadays. what used to be a reliable source of information in the past, has now become a medium for profit making through ads.

the last thing u want is no one read ur papers. hence u need some gossipy news to draw ppl in.
    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

these days....
    Sometimes I read about people saying the news industry is dead, maybe this could be the reason too. I kinda believe in karma, maybe they killed their own place in the industry by allowing themselves to scoop low and do ethically questionable things.

I believe most Singaporeans never took the Chinese evening papers seriously either, treating it like tabloid but IMHO I think they are even lower than tabloid and paparazis, whom capitalize on the rich and famous - NOT on the tragedy of ordinary citizens.

If the news industry is going to die, hope the unethical ones will be the first to go. The media in a way has a role in public education which they cannot deny such responsibility, our society really do not need the unethical papers.

JMTCs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Sometimes I read about people saying the news industry is dead, maybe this could be the reason too. I kinda believe in karma, maybe they killed their own place in the industry by allowing themselves to scoop low and do ethically questionable things.

I believe most Singaporeans never took the Chinese evening papers seriously either, treating it like tabloid but IMHO I think they are even lower than tabloid and paparazis, whom capitalize on the rich and famous - NOT on the tragedy of ordinary citizens.

If the news industry is going to die, hope the unethical ones will be the first to go. The media in a way has a role in public education which they cannot deny such responsibility, our society really do not need the unethical papers.

JMTCs.
    well. we still need the news. journalists are supposed to report facts and provide us with a easier to understand version of them. I mean u can't expect everyone to analyse stats or the budget... journalists help disseminate information to the public.its still important.

yet they are still profit making. they need to survive.
    its a fine balance between profit making, and their service provided, which is awareness. I can't exactly say the press is faultless, but readers shld be critical too.

I can't exactly say the press is faultless, but readers shld be critical too.
    Quote for truth... readers should be critical...

To quote something from the link given (and I believe, lacking in our local press):

9. Its practitioners must be allowed to exercise their personal conscience

Every journalist must have a personal sense of ethics and responsibility--a moral compass. Each of us must be willing, if fairness and accuracy require, to voice differences with our colleagues, whether in the newsroom or the executive suite. News organizations do well to nurture this independence by encouraging individuals to speak their minds. This stimulates the intellectual diversity necessary to understand and accurately cover an increasingly diverse society. It is this diversity of minds and voices, not just numbers, that matters.
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Blog Entries

this is a totally gray area...... when you throw things like little Huang Na, Dr Susan Lim and the Sentosa Cove ktv girl drowning into this equation ........ where is the line drawn ? you cant .......
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    this is a totally gray area...... when you throw things like little Huang Na, Dr Susan Lim and the Sentosa Cove ktv girl drowning into this equation ........ where is the line drawn ? you cant .......
    Sadly so. I guess the writer has to touch his/her conscience and ask himself/herself will he/her get weird dreams at night.

This case happened in 2009, I wonder why the paper reported it again almost 2 years later.
    Journalism has always been about reporting facts in it's truest form based on 'the public has the right to know' principle.
    So long as the reporting is done objectively, not tainted by the writers own opinion I think it is acceptable.
    Here the writer produced all the circumstances of the case and let the reader make their own judgement, so to me I don't think they crossed any ethical lines.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 | 35mm f1.8 | SB-900