Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: need help with choosing a camera...

  1. #21

    Default

    nadnut....

    Dun get that one lah....
    I am no pro here...
    But, I always belive that digital camera
    has to be above 4 pixels to have beautiful PIX....
    So that, if you decided to blow it up it will not too grainy...
    Since it is a gift....
    MUST be for someone SPECIAL....
    get a better one lah...
    UPZZZZZ for eith nikon or sony!!
    My personal opinon....

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadnut
    hey. i got an offer for a canon powershot a40 which is 2 years old plus a 64mb amd 128mb cards and rechargeable batts @ $200. wat do u guys tink?

    2 mega pixel onlie... but is it worth it?
    it's a good camera, but lacks form factor when compared with a w1,t1,exslim and etc.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fattybombombom
    nadnut....

    Dun get that one lah....
    I am no pro here...
    But, I always belive that digital camera
    has to be above 4 pixels to have beautiful PIX....
    So that, if you decided to blow it up it will not too grainy...
    Since it is a gift....
    MUST be for someone SPECIAL....
    get a better one lah...
    UPZZZZZ for eith nikon or sony!!
    My personal opinon....
    yes madam!

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    it's a good camera, but lacks form factor when compared with a w1,t1,exslim and etc.
    sorry wat u mean by form factor?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    hmmm. 4 mega pixel and above?

    saw a sony dsc-u20. so cute!

    but onlie 2 megapixel. hmmm. can fit budget meh?

    my fren likes stylish camera, small and cute.

    bleah. if got those in pink one betta. hmmm. but very very few are colored rite?


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Telok Kurau
    Posts
    53

    Default

    madnut, I recommend you the Panasonic DMC-FX1, a 3.2MP with Image Stabilizer, comes in silver, orange, red, selling below 500... or the DMC-FX5, a 4MP one, selling below 600. The Image Stabilizer is very useful. And now there's a promotion I saw at Cathay which throws in an extra battery, memory(forgot how much), tripod and case. Not a bad deal for a present I think.

    Panasonic is clearing stock la in Singapore cos the new models are coming in...or perhaps came already but are being hidden in the warehouse still.

    If not then Nikon Coolpix, which is also on promotion now, throwing in free memory, tripods and etc. Can't rem. Some models below $500.

    For Sony, just consider that their Memory Stick comes at a premium. And the models are quite large in size for the price u wanna pay.

    For your budget, Panasonic n Nikon are 2 brands I'll recommend. For a pocket sized one, the Coolpix is the way to go. Take advantage of the ongoing promotions! Enjoy!

    As for me, I'm a Canon user... IXUS image quality is still the way to go for me

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless
    madnut, I recommend you the Panasonic DMC-FX1, a 3.2MP with Image Stabilizer, comes in silver, orange, red, selling below 500... or the DMC-FX5, a 4MP one, selling below 600. The Image Stabilizer is very useful. And now there's a promotion I saw at Cathay which throws in an extra battery, memory(forgot how much), tripod and case. Not a bad deal for a present I think.

    Panasonic is clearing stock la in Singapore cos the new models are coming in...or perhaps came already but are being hidden in the warehouse still.

    If not then Nikon Coolpix, which is also on promotion now, throwing in free memory, tripods and etc. Can't rem. Some models below $500.

    For Sony, just consider that their Memory Stick comes at a premium.
    And the models are quite large in size for the price u wanna pay.

    For your budget, Panasonic n Nikon are 2 brands I'll recommend. For a pocket sized one, the Coolpix is the way to go. Take advantage of the ongoing promotions! Enjoy!

    As for me, I'm a Canon user... IXUS image quality is still the way to go for me
    wats an image stabiliser?

    anyway, thanks for de useful info! de coloured one looks good!

    once again, thanks everyone for de help!

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Telok Kurau
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadnut
    wats an image stabiliser?
    Many people have different concerns about when choosing their Digicam like no. of pixels, weight, size, battery life, LCD screen etc. I choose mine based on size and picture quality.

    Madnut, a little technicalities here, but hope u'll understand. When we want take photos indoors (or under low lighting), the direct flash will produce harsh images with the background looking very dark and the object very bright, so sometimes I turn my flash off but that will make the photos blur because turning the flash off will slow the shutter speed (unless I use a tripod). Sometimes I still do it at the expense of blurer photos because it gives me nicely blended photos. The image stabiliser of Panasonic's however, allow u to turn the flash off, and still get sharp images, n nicely blended too.

    I'll explain until here...to make it simple, just in case the more I explain, the more u may not understand. Anyway, get some hands on when u buy one and u'll understand what I mean by 'harsh photos with flash on' n 'blurer photos w flash off'... or perhaps u already know.

    Check websites like...
    www.nikon.com.sg
    www.panasonic.com.sg (ignore pop up window and click 'digital still camera' under 'camera'

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless
    Many people have different concerns about when choosing their Digicam like no. of pixels, weight, size, battery life, LCD screen etc. I choose mine based on size and picture quality.

    Madnut, a little technicalities here, but hope u'll understand. When we want take photos indoors (or under low lighting), the direct flash will produce harsh images with the background looking very dark and the object very bright, so sometimes I turn my flash off but that will make the photos blur because turning the flash off will slow the shutter speed (unless I use a tripod). Sometimes I still do it at the expense of blurer photos because it gives me nicely blended photos. The image stabiliser of Panasonic's however, allow u to turn the flash off, and still get sharp images, n nicely blended too.

    I'll explain until here...to make it simple, just in case the more I explain, the more u may not understand. Anyway, get some hands on when u buy one and u'll understand what I mean by 'harsh photos with flash on' n 'blurer photos w flash off'... or perhaps u already know.

    Check websites like...
    www.nikon.com.sg
    www.panasonic.com.sg (ignore pop up window and click 'digital still camera' under 'camera'
    cheem! hahhaaa. hey, its nadnut not madnut!

    thanks! will look around and get more info!

  10. #30

    Default

    I beg to differ. Official websites of the brands usually just talk about the beautiful things of the camera models. To get a more realistic reflection of the camera's abilities, I feel that it is better to look at review websites. My personal favourite is imaging-resource.com, the reviewer Dave makes reviews that are pretty wordy, but I feel the judgement is more scientific and more fair. However, even that seems to make an ordinary camera look good at times because the reviewers are quite good photographers and the photographs will be good. You'll need to examine the photos very closely to differentiate.
    There is actually an even better way to gauge the capabilities of a camera, and that is to look at the camera database at http://www.pbase.com/cameras , keep on refreshing to see the general quality of the photos. Usually there will be plenty of samples for you to see, and they are taken by the public, thus exposing any camera capabilities or photographers' incapabilities. A camera may have the potential to take good photos, but it may not be easy for the average person to reach that level if they use auto-mode, or if there is the time constraint due to a quick photo opportunity.

    OT: madnut? hahaha

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Telok Kurau
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frcfyp
    I beg to differ.
    beg to differ what? haha, I only said check the websites to know more about the models being offered. I didn't say they offer a 'realistic reflection of the camera's abilities' Don't be so uptight... We need to go official websites to check specs ma...

    nadnut, I actually got ur name wrong twice...haha, must be because of the first post which was done in the wee hours in the morning, and my mistake followed on.

    And today, I realised that Canon have package deals too, giving free memory. Canon, in my experience, produces better quality images. I saw some models below 550, u can consider too! So right now, Nikon, Canon n Panasonic have package deals.

    N yup, look at pbase. Enjoy!
    __________________________________________________
    My sister owns a Canon, my girlfriend owns a Canon, my good friend owns a Canon... Me? I own a Canon too.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frcfyp
    I beg to differ. Official websites of the brands usually just talk about the beautiful things of the camera models. To get a more realistic reflection of the camera's abilities, I feel that it is better to look at review websites. My personal favourite is imaging-resource.com, the reviewer Dave makes reviews that are pretty wordy, but I feel the judgement is more scientific and more fair. However, even that seems to make an ordinary camera look good at times because the reviewers are quite good photographers and the photographs will be good. You'll need to examine the photos very closely to differentiate.
    There is actually an even better way to gauge the capabilities of a camera, and that is to look at the camera database at http://www.pbase.com/cameras , keep on refreshing to see the general quality of the photos. Usually there will be plenty of samples for you to see, and they are taken by the public, thus exposing any camera capabilities or photographers' incapabilities. A camera may have the potential to take good photos, but it may not be easy for the average person to reach that level if they use auto-mode, or if there is the time constraint due to a quick photo opportunity.

    OT: madnut? hahaha
    i usually read those reviews... yea lor. name liaoz nadNUT. now kena MAD also.hahhahaa.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless
    nadnut, I actually got ur name wrong twice...haha, must be because of the first post which was done in the wee hours in the morning, and my mistake followed on.
    __________________________________________________
    My sister owns a Canon, my girlfriend owns a Canon, my good friend owns a Canon... Me? I own a Canon too.
    kk. will check them out!

    u ah. call me MADnut. ppl nutz liaoz. now mad also... hhahhaa.

  14. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadnut
    hmmm. 4 mega pixel and above?

    saw a sony dsc-u20. so cute!

    but onlie 2 megapixel. hmmm. can fit budget meh?

    my fren likes stylish camera, small and cute.

    bleah. if got those in pink one betta. hmmm. but very very few are colored rite?

    my gf has a pink little one, and even though the photos aren't that good and the camera has no zoom, she still likes it very much. dun get me wrong, she is not a noob, but there are factors that may be important to the camera user but seem trivial to us. since your friend like stylish cameras, dun forget that. i think the pana fx with image stabiliser is a good choice, other good current models are minolta xg, canon ixus IIs or ixus i, according to your budget. for plenty of reasons, my vote goes to sony w1, but that's above your budget. the $200 a40 may seem a good deal, but your friend won't be happy with that. if u are getting second hand the list gets even longer. i think the canon v3's are going very cheap second hand now, most likely because there's a popular belief that cameras should have 3x optical zoom (v3 has 2x). however, i dun think it's that big a problem. if you understand the limits behind zooming, you'll notice photographers sometimes prefer to step forward rather than zoom.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frcfyp
    my gf has a pink little one, and even though the photos aren't that good and the camera has no zoom, she still likes it very much. dun get me wrong, she is not a noob, but there are factors that may be important to the camera user but seem trivial to us. since your friend like stylish cameras, dun forget that. i think the pana fx with image stabiliser is a good choice, other good current models are minolta xg, canon ixus IIs or ixus i, according to your budget. for plenty of reasons, my vote goes to sony w1, but that's above your budget. the $200 a40 may seem a good deal, but your friend won't be happy with that. if u are getting second hand the list gets even longer. i think the canon v3's are going very cheap second hand now, most likely because there's a popular belief that cameras should have 3x optical zoom (v3 has 2x). however, i dun think it's that big a problem. if you understand the limits behind zooming, you'll notice photographers sometimes prefer to step forward rather than zoom.
    i dun suppose ur gf would part with her camera rite?

  16. #36

    Default

    I went with a Fujifilm Finepix s7000, and love it.

    It has macro and super macro mode, so you can focus on objects that are practically touching the lens, if you want.

    It's a 6.3 megapixel camera, and has gotten great reviews. Here's the review at dpreview.com: Link

    There is a "Samples" page in the dropdown menu, which shows photos taken with the camera.

    I got mine from a camera shop for $499, they actually sell them at Costco too, for the same price.

    /dak

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadnut
    hmmm. 4 mega pixel and above?

    saw a sony dsc-u20. so cute!

    but onlie 2 megapixel. hmmm. can fit budget meh?

    my fren likes stylish camera, small and cute.

    bleah. if got those in pink one betta. hmmm. but very very few are colored rite?

    Forget the kiddy cameras like the Minolta X series. Pictures are not sharp with these cameras using plastic lenses. Go for Canon A series, especially the A75.Packed with many features. Good for beginners wishing to take their standard of photography to the next level. If you are keen I have a brand new set (1 year manufacturer's warranty) which comes with additional 128MB CF for sale at $440/-. I believe this is well within your budget. Btw, the a75 makes use of AA batteries, so there is no fuss as far as batteries are concerned. SMS 90530182 if interested. Even if you don't buy from me, I still say the A75 is a good camera worth considering.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dakkon
    I went with a Fujifilm Finepix s7000, and love it.

    It has macro and super macro mode, so you can focus on objects that are practically touching the lens, if you want.

    It's a 6.3 megapixel camera, and has gotten great reviews. Here's the review at dpreview.com: Link

    There is a "Samples" page in the dropdown menu, which shows photos taken with the camera.

    I got mine from a camera shop for $499, they actually sell them at Costco too, for the same price.

    /dak
    sure. will check it out!

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    east side of singapore
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten
    Forget the kiddy cameras like the Minolta X series. Pictures are not sharp with these cameras using plastic lenses. Go for Canon A series, especially the A75.Packed with many features. Good for beginners wishing to take their standard of photography to the next level. If you are keen I have a brand new set (1 year manufacturer's warranty) which comes with additional 128MB CF for sale at $440/-. I believe this is well within your budget. Btw, the a75 makes use of AA batteries, so there is no fuss as far as batteries are concerned. SMS 90530182 if interested. Even if you don't buy from me, I still say the A75 is a good camera worth considering.
    hmmm. a75 looks bulky... hahhaa. im sure its good. thanks for de offer. will consider abt it... but bulky leh... hahhaha

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    TheDaysMovie.com
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Bro... try Fuji F610..... Happening!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •