Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help to decide on Nikon telephoto lens

Default Re: Please help to decide on Nikon telephoto lens

NSC has the entire range (lenses that are still selling, not sure if they have the 70-200VR1 or the older 80-200mms) for you to test it out but do keep in mind of their closing hours. Best to give yourself an hour ahead or more to test until you're satisfied especially if you have more than 1 lens to try. But I agree, don't get a long zoom just because you don't have one, unless your shooting style makes you think you need one... Might as well spend the $$$$ on other more useful lenses / accessories, or save it. Getting a lens means you have to use it often, plus the maintainance it to keep it clean, etc... If not, it's practically a white elephant.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

If you really dread the weight, then my advise is to forget the heavier zooms... Really, imagine you have to log it around for a long walkabout - at the end of the day, you'll be really drained. When I bring out my zoom, I always try to carry just that (if I can help it) plus the monopod if necessary. Otherwise, adding other lenses is going to take more than my back can handle. It's a big trade off... So, it's not just about whether you can hand-hold it or not.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 4th March 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Yes, The weight is really an issue because I have rheumatoid. I am not suppose to carry more than 3 kg of weight but now in my bag with 2 lenses plus body and flash plus tripod already 10 kg. I am 62, so can not hold the heavy lens steady for a kill. On the other hand I like to have good lens so i will not regret and go buy next lens again. This is my pain.

I think 28-300mm and 70-300mm lenses the weight is similar to the 24-70mm lens I have. Set it at the faster speed I still can get some good clear shots, but f/2.8 become important to me because of the speed i need. I read many review on these two lenses, low light is the weakness, that prevent me from making the buying decision.

Some one recommended single focal lens, the weight and the cost is not that good and cheap either. I hope I can go with NPSS group to shoot more of the wild live or nature view.

Even I give in to Tamron and Sigma, those lenses are not light also.

I think I am going round the circle. sorry bros. I will close this thread early next week. Sorry for wasting all of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by pchengws View Post
    Yes, The weight is really an issue because I have rheumatoid. I am not suppose to carry more than 3 kg of weight but now in my bag with 2 lenses plus body and flash plus tripod already 10 kg. I am 62, so can not hold the heavy lens steady for a kill. On the other hand I like to have good lens so i will not regret and go buy next lens again. This is my pain.

I think 28-300mm and 70-300mm lenses the weight is similar to the 24-70mm lens I have. Set it at the faster speed I still can get some good clear shots, but f/2.8 become important to me because of the speed i need. I read many review on these two lenses, low light is the weakness, that prevent me from making the buying decision.

Some one recommended single focal lens, the weight and the cost is not that good and cheap either. I hope I can go with NPSS group to shoot more of the wild live or nature view.

Even I give in to Tamron and Sigma, those lenses are not light also.

I think I am going round the circle. sorry bros. I will close this thread early next week. Sorry for wasting all of your time.

Hmm. Let see how we can reduce your weight here. What bags and stuffs did you put in your bag? Seriously a bag + 2 lens + body and a flash, tripod + ballhead weights around 10kg is scary.

Last time i was like you, but i managed reduced the weight of my bag and tripod and it really helps a lot.

Reno, Thank you. I use Kata 3IN1-11 most of the time, but I also have a 3IN1-33 have not start using it yet.
    I normally bring D7000 body, 24-70, Tokina 11-16mm, on the day I weight was preparing the trip for Macro shooting hence I have the 105mm lens to replace the Tokina, but some times I do carry the 35mm. Metz 58 with about 3 to 4 packs spare battery. Battery grip with Nikon original battery. 77mm CPL filter and the white balance filter tool. One touch. One small note book and pen. Plus the Slik PRO 634C Carbon Fiber tripod. It is weigh on my bathroom scale near 10kg. I forgot one heavy item that is my half litre water bottle.

I could not squeeze in the thrid lens, that is why I bought the Kata 3IN1-33. So I can bring more lenses when I travel and then selectively bring it to the field. Balance lenses can leave it in the hotel lugguage locked up.

As it is discussed, if I do go for the 70-200 or 80-400mm I got no way to put it in the 3IN1-11. Even I go for the 70-300mm. Unless I go for the 28-300 and leave the 24-70 at home which I not quite prepare for it. I understand up to 70mm range I have good lenses to cover it. only 70mm up i can depends on the new lens which 28-300 review is not that perfect. On the other hand I am not the pro going for competition, so I think I can ignore the reviews to certain extend.

Your advise will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by pchengws; 5th March 2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add more info

Reno, Thank you. I use Kata 3IN1-11 most of the time, but I also have a 3IN1-33 have not start using it yet.
    I normally bring D7000 body, 24-70, Tokina 11-16mm, on the day I weight was preparing the trip for Macro shooting hence I have the 105mm lens to replace the Tokina, but some times I do carry the 35mm. Metz 58 with about 3 to 4 packs spare battery. Battery grip with Nikon original battery. 77mm CPL filter and the white balance filter tool. One touch. One small note book and pen. Plus the Slik PRO 634C Carbon Fiber tripod. It is weigh on my bathroom scale near 10kg. I forgot one heavy item that is my half litre water bottle.

I could not squeeze in the thrid lens, that is why I bought the Kata 3IN1-33. So I can bring more lenses when I travel and then selectively bring it to the field. Balance lenses can leave it in the hotel lugguage locked up.

As it is discussed, if I do go for the 70-200 or 80-400mm I got no way to put it in the 3IN1-11. Even I go for the 70-300mm. Unless I go for the 28-300 and leave the 24-70 at home which I not quite prepare for it. I understand up to 70mm range I have good lenses to cover it. only 70mm up i can depends on the new lens which 28-300 review is not that perfect. On the other hand I am not the pro going for competition, so I think I can ignore the reviews to certain extend.

Your advise will be highly appreciated.
    Hey TS, me again.

Maybe you can narrow down to what you want to shoot on that day, then carry the necessary items. From your description, it seems that you are carrying your entire photo gear with you. I know its important to have the right tools when the time comes but sometimes you have to consider if you will really use it at all. If you are a paid photog. then my apologies since I understand you have to bring what is necessary. If not, I think its just a matter of focusing (no pun intended) in what you really want to shoot.

For me, as an example, when Im going to do nature, I carry my D7K with the 70-300 attached, 1 CPL, micro-fiber cloth and brush for cleaning in 1 zoom bag. I also carrry a water bottle (less than 500ml) in a pouch plus a deuter pouch for my h/p and wallet attached to my belt.
    No tripod as the 70-300 got VR. No extra battery (haven't buy yet) or battery grip; I make sure the battery is fully charged before the shoot. I dont shoot macro (dont have the lens either) so thats out. I may bring an additional lens (Tamron 28-75) in a lens pouch attached to my belt but I rarely do that. I wear cargo pants for other misc stuff.

Last 2 weeks I went to the museum and brought my D7K with the Tamron attached in smaller zoom bag with the cleaning stuff. Cargo pants for wallet, phone, Ipod touch and misc stuff. No water, no pouch.

Thats just how I usually go around with my gear and of course I dont expect you to do exactly the same. Just an idea of how maybe you can reduce the weight. Hope that helps and please take care of yourself. Your health is the most important factor here, not what you can shoot.

Cheers Bro!
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

TS, check your pm... cheers

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe161 View Post
    Hey TS, me again.

Maybe you can narrow down to what you want to shoot on that day, then carry the necessary items. From your description, it seems that you are carrying your entire photo gear with you. I know its important to have the right tools when the time comes but sometimes you have to consider if you will really use it at all. If you are a paid photog. then my apologies since I understand you have to bring what is necessary. If not, I think its just a matter of focusing (no pun intended) in what you really want to shoot.

For me, as an example, when Im going to do nature, I carry my D7K with the 70-300 attached, 1 CPL, micro-fiber cloth and brush for cleaning in 1 zoom bag. I also carrry a water bottle (less than 500ml) in a pouch plus a deuter pouch for my h/p and wallet attached to my belt.
    No tripod as the 70-300 got VR. No extra battery (haven't buy yet) or battery grip; I make sure the battery is fully charged before the shoot. I dont shoot macro (dont have the lens either) so thats out. I may bring an additional lens (Tamron 28-75) in a lens pouch attached to my belt but I rarely do that. I wear cargo pants for other misc stuff.

Last 2 weeks I went to the museum and brought my D7K with the Tamron attached in smaller zoom bag with the cleaning stuff. Cargo pants for wallet, phone, Ipod touch and misc stuff. No water, no pouch.

Thats just how I usually go around with my gear and of course I dont expect you to do exactly the same. Just an idea of how maybe you can reduce the weight. Hope that helps and please take care of yourself. Your health is the most important factor here, not what you can shoot.

Cheers Bro!
    Hello Johndoe, when I join the NPSS people to shoot, I see them not only carry flash, but having two flashs. I only use one flash.

They told me close up macro tripod is a must. The 105mm macro is not light lens also. I think I am carrying the bear minimum already.

For Macro shooting, D7K, 105mm, Flash, torch, tripod, battery, 18-105mm just in case for lanscape shoot, not carry the 24-70 lens. Water bottle I bought is to hang on the camera bag. Like this already over 6 Kg.

Travel to Japan for Cherry Blossom viewing will be much heavier because I need at lease two lens that is the 24-70mm and 70-200mm (still considering) plus 35mm, and flash and the rest necessary items. I think will be at 10Kg or even more.

The most is my wife helps me on the water bottle and tripod. Of course if I go for the 28-300mm lens then it will be a lot lighter, but I do not see any good review about the 28-300mm on quality even I willing to go on manual focusing.

Hello Johndoe, when I join the NPSS people to shoot, I see them not only carry flash, but having two flashs. I only use one flash.

They told me close up macro tripod is a must. The 105mm macro is not light lens also. I think I am carrying the bear minimum already.

For Macro shooting, D7K, 105mm, Flash, torch, tripod, battery, 18-105mm just in case for lanscape shoot, not carry the 24-70 lens. Water bottle I bought is to hang on the camera bag. Like this already over 6 Kg.

Travel to Japan for Cherry Blossom viewing will be much heavier because I need at lease two lens that is the 24-70mm and 70-200mm (still considering) plus 35mm, and flash and the rest necessary items. I think will be at 10Kg or even more.

The most is my wife helps me on the water bottle and tripod. Of course if I go for the 28-300mm lens then it will be a lot lighter, but I do not see any good review about the 28-300mm on quality even I willing to go on manual focusing.
    Have you ever considered having 70-200mm + 35mm instead? Personally, I'd opt for 35 instead of 24-70 (for closer proximity shoots). Plus 35mm gives you an f/1.8 or f/2 (depending on which lens), a wider limit of aperture settings (narrow DOF to f/22). For closer proximities, you can use your footwork to do the zooming. Plus 70-200 already covers the 70mm of the 24-70... And 35mm is a lighter lens...

If you end up with a 28-300mm... I think that's the one and only travelling lens you'll need plus maybe a UWA lens... (all ends covered)

As for flash, don't recall which you have, SB900? Can always opt for a lighter flash for travelling... SB400, 600, 700... take your pick.

Edit: of course the above recommendation is just my own - lens preferences differ between individuals.
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 7th March 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Hi Reno,

I replied twice, I hope the message sent through just now.

Thank you for the trouble you take.

Peter

Hello kriegsketten,

If I already have the 70-200mm your suggestion is definitely the right one. Now is that I need to buy the expensive lens first. I call MAX Photo for a quote and found out it is S$3,1xx w/GST may not inlcude card sur-charge.

My 35mm is a f/1.8. Another option is just to carry the kit lens 18-105 and keep all my money. The issue here is the lens is not only for one travel trip, i need it for future use to shoot nature outting and birding which i am intetesting in.

I also asked my photo instructor and told that longer lens is better to take landscape shots like Sakura viewing. Weight and $$$ may shift me back to 28-300mm lens. Not that cheap that I can buy and forget but the coverage is good enough for this trip. just that review on the lens IQ is not that wonderful.

Some one I met over the week end and he told me if birding need longer lens and with the price keep growing, may be I should consider look for old manual focus Leica lens. I just replied to Reno with PM also that lenses seems more $$$ better quality.

I have a Metz 58 which is not light also.

I'm no pro...but range from 70-200mm is hardly enough for birding unless you're shooting VERY large birds at close range. You can add a TC to it, but IQ will drop and will not be as sharp as the original 200mm. 500mm + - 50/100mm maybe the optimum length required...

I've shot 70-200mm + 2x TC... I'm not too serious into birding, so that's okay - I live with the results.

Still not sure what kind of shots are you expecting for Sakura viewing as a landscape shot - got an example you can show? You mean with focus on the Sakura, and Mount Fuji (blurred) as a backdrop (eg)?

If you have good enough daylight, I don't think IQ will be too great a factor on most lenses... (unless you're planning to shoot Sakuras during low light or night?)...

With regards to the prices please check Clubsnap's price list on Nikon products for best pricing. It's there to help users to get the best offer in our local market.

kriegsketten, I have been to Japan many times for business trip when i was young but never have chance to stop and take leisure photos. From the photo posted on the web, Sakura is allows in the fore-ground and having Mt Fuji or temple, castle etc as back ground. Of course I will snap a few with my wife near or under the Sakura trees or in the park. Mostly i guess will be the beatiful landscape we can appreciate. I am not sure will go up to the Mt. Fuji, if we do of course try to show the beauty of the mountain in Spring. My instructor told me UWA may not be any use in this case. I may need more on telezoom to pull in the far away scenery. That prompt me wanted the 70-200mm since every one is talking about it.

Until this afternoon my wife may have helped me to decide on the 28-300mm. The reason is I sent her the photo I took at the river side with 24-70mm and all the photos under 1/60 speed all turn out blur. She commented that if I get twice heavier lens will all her photos turn out blur for the trip? I know there is a good VR on the 70-200mm but it is just too heavy for me although in my heart I die die want the lens. May be after the trip and get the this year bonus then think about it again.

I still resist buying the Sigma 70-200mm the weight is almost the same just it is half the price. on the other hand the 28-300mm lens may cost just couple of hundreds cheaper than the Sigma.

Thank you all guys, for your help and analysis. For my weak hands and physical body I 60% will back down on 70-200 and go for 28-300 for the zoom range and more for the Japan trip with my wife for her once in a life time visit.

Good choice for the 28-300, no need to swap lens and worrying this & that.

I'm assuming you want both Sakura and Temple/Mt Fuji all sharp. In that case, you don't really need the 70-200mm... 70-300mm or 28-300mm will work for you. For both foreground and background to be equally sharp, you need to stop down to f/8 onwards. Large apertures like f/2.8 is going to be a bit reduntant as its main purpose is to separate the foreground from the backround by making the latter blur (temple/fuji will be a blur). VR will help you cut down 2- 3 stops. Slow speed like 1/60 or lower (for your 70mm without VR) will still make your pictures blur. There is a rule (not to be followed too closely, but good to practice at times) : shutter speed = 1/(focal length) that tries to help make your pictures sharp. Eg, you set the focal length at 135mm, then make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/135 or faster (1/150, 1/200, etc), this is without the aid of VR... With VR, you can set the shutter speed to 1-2 stop slower. For normal daylight conditions, it is easier to follow this rule. Please try it with your 24-70mm (use S mode first, then M - to set the proper aperture in order to balance the exposure)... Seniors, if I'm wrong about this please step in to correct my statements.

If you already know the above, my apologies for repeating all that.

Edit: As far as I'm concerned, the focal length rule worked for me many times!
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 7th March 2011 at 11:27 PM.

kriegsketten,

Every bit of reminder or confirmation is helpful. Normally I do set my D7K with minimum 1/125 speed. I have f/2.8 on 24-70 so I can afford to have higher speed. Only when learning stage, instructor want us to try this and that and that is time i lost my min speed and picture turn out blur the way we do not want.

On the other hand, as you mentioned of the Bokeh control is every photography wish to have. That is why I die die want the 70-200mm but with the weight i may need to set to 1/200 all the time to ensure not to get blur and it may defeat the to have the lens because the weight do not let me enjoy the feature I have on the lens unless I have the lens on a monopod or tripod all the time.

28-300mm is 100g lesser than 24-70 yet have the VR. I think I can set it to 1/60 in order to enjoy the minimum of 5.6 at the longer focal length, at least my wife will say all are clearly focus.

By the way, will there be any new lighter lenses going to release for FX range? Today I read about Olympus Pen - Pro will only come over the next 2 years then have to wait for the lens to come after. I am certainly going to live with this Nikon set up for the next 2 years and the D700 replacement will certainly come before that. On the other hand my hands will get weaker then.

Nikon, please look after "silver" retirement group and keep me going till .......

Blog Entries

I still resist buying the Sigma 70-200mm the weight is almost the same just it is half the price. on the other hand the 28-300mm lens may cost just couple of hundreds cheaper than the Sigma..
    TS, have you looked at the older 80-200/2.8? There are 4 autofocus variations of the 80-200 and most of them are excellent. It seems that budget is a major concern for you, so you might want to visit that route too.

I bought a condition 10 80-200/2.8D push pull for under 800. And it is tack sharp with great optics. You can see the sample pictures here.

It might not be for you but just making sure you explored all options.

TS... i never receive your pm.... hehehe

Daredevil, Indeed I did and asked for quote. I was told Nikon no more produce and not selling it. So I will have to hunt in the BNS shops. The weight is not light and without VR.

YOu have any idea where I can get a new one? I have not buy the 28-300 yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast