Thread: Football Match - Which Lens?

Default Football Match - Which Lens?

Hi all...

I might be shooting a football match at night from the sidelines. I have a D700 and I'm considering between the following 2 combinations:

1) AF-S 70-200mm F2.8 VR2 + TC-20E II
    or
    2) AF-S 300mm F2.8 non-VR (Can't rent the VR version - budget issue)

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Football Match - Which Lens?

Jalan Besar stadium?

the 70-200mm is decent if you are at the sidelines as still can move. If you are at either goal area, going to be somewhat short with a 200mm lens. My recommendation is use a crop camera so that can make use of the crop factor to extend the lens range somewhat if thats your shooting area. The theory goes whatever you get in camera will be superior iq then what you get using teleconverter not to mention, you will need the f/2.8 for the shutter speeds you will be using.
    Last edited by Reportage; 2nd March 2011 at 12:26 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

You're going to shoot in JBS or what? Cos in Singapore, most stadiums, the seating area is a distance from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Jalan Besar stadium?

the 70-200mm is decent if you are at the sidelines as still can move. If you are at either goal area, going to be somewhat short with a 200mm lens. My recommendation is use a crop camera so that can make use of the crop factor to extend the lens range somewhat if thats your shooting area. The theory goes whatever you get in camera will be superior iq then what you get using teleconverter not to mention, you will need the f/2.8 for the shutter speeds you will be using.
    Bishan stadium. I understand the need for a crop body, but right now I'm on a shoestring budget and I can only use my D700. In this case, which lens then?

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    You're going to shoot in JBS or what? Cos in Singapore, most stadiums, the seating area is a distance from the field.
    I'll be shooting from the goal area... Not the stands.

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming!

I prefer zoom, more versatile as you might have a great shot when the players are close to you. Then 300mm would be too long a focal length. Not sure about lighting in soccer field and whether adding teleconvertor will still allow you to achieve certain shutter speed. But again you can bump up ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    I prefer zoom, more versatile as you might have a great shot when the players are close to you. Then 300mm would be too long a focal length. Not sure about lighting in soccer field and whether adding teleconvertor will still allow you to achieve certain shutter speed. But again you can bump up ISO.
    Yeah the 300mm prime is a concern - not sure if it will be too tight or anything because I haven't shot before...

More views, please!

70-200mm is at most just half the field on full frame and any further then that is either action group shots or have to be aggressively cropped.

at the 200mm end with a 2x teleconverter, you would be working with F/5.6 so the iso will have to increase to give you the speed to capture the action as well as enough light for a proper exposure.

In this case, dont be conservative with your shots. Take any possible shots and then review on the computer. Do not chimp as you may miss critical moments.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Hopefully there will be goals on your side and you can shoot "the great moments of goals" using 70mm focal length. Maybe rent the lens for one more day and go down to the stadium 1 day before to test the lighting, etc? I would prefer that as I would know what is the environment like on the day itself and would be more prepared.

Otherwise you can bring your current gear to test the lighting at the stadium at any of your free days. If it is bright enough then you may want to consider nikon 80-400. The downside is the smaller aperture though. That's because 70-200 + 2x will have degrade in IQ and who knows?? 80-400 would be better with the same focal length at similar aperture.