Thread: wad should a photographer do in times of...

Default wad should a photographer do in times of...

a accident/disaster?

I guess most of us have seen sad pictures of tragic accidents
    and disasters... but does anyone feel why the photographer
    who took the shot didn't help in such a situation and instead
    just stood and take pictures?

Any comments or opions?

Default Re: wad should a photographer do in times of...

Originally posted by Eugene
    a accident/disaster?

I guess most of us have seen sad pictures of tragic accidents
    and disasters... but does anyone feel why the photographer
    who took the shot didn't help in such a situation and instead
    just stood and take pictures?

Any comments or opions?
    If it's a news photographer, it's their job. If it's a passerby who happens to have a camera, then took the opportunity to shoot the picture and sell it to the press, then it's a very bad thing.

Regards
    CK

is this consider bad??

Eg 1

U were passerby, saw an accident happened...then u give whatever assistant u can already...then after that start to take photo with the intention of gathering evidents to help the authority

Eg 2

U were passerby, saw an accident happened....u can't help much cos there are other pple who were assisting already....then u start to take photo with the intention of gathering evidents to help the authority

Are these eg consider bad thing?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by kamwai
    is this consider bad??

Eg 1

U were passerby, saw an accident happened...then u give whatever assistant u can already...then after that start to take photo with the intention of gathering evidents to help the authority

Eg 2

U were passerby, saw an accident happened....u can't help much cos there are other pple who were assisting already....then u start to take photo with the intention of gathering evidents to help the authority

Are these eg consider bad thing?
    My opinion is these two examples is not considered bad...
    First example is already given assistance and the next is
    no chance to give assistance.

That means to say unless is your job... the moral thing to
    do is to give assistance...

guess it would really depend on the type of accident/disaster.

help if you're in a capacity to.

Horst Faas, winner of the 1965 Pulitzer prize award for photography, the one who took the naked Vietnamese girl screaming in pain, took only a handful of shots before putting down his camera and started to help people.

There was another photographer (whose name escapes me right now) who took went to Africa to take photos of the famine there. A sick starving child was being stalked by a vulture - who was waiting for the child to die. He took some shots, shooed away the vulture and went under a tree to cry. The vulture came back. He left crying - afraid that he would be struck by the same disease. A couple years later, he commited suicide - never forgiving himself for not saving the child in the photo.

do what you need to do.

hmm...that's remind me of a movie recently...called "We Were Soldier"

abt a war photographer rite?

the soldier throw away his rifle and pick up a nikon to shoot

will u take the rifle to defence the country or take the camera and shoot photo?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

For me...i would shoot...not tat im a non-moral person...but its the photojournalistic heart in me which kicks in. LoL
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Originally posted by kamwai
    hmm...that's remind me of a movie recently...called "We Were Soldier"

abt a war photographer rite?

the soldier throw away his rifle and pick up a nikon to shoot

will u take the rifle to defence the country or take the camera and shoot photo?
    hey i'll take a nikon over a M16 anytime, esp if it's loaded with a bazooka lens.

but actually what struck me about the movie was not that the photogr was defending his country (they were in vietnam anyway, fighting a kaypoh war), but rather that he was fighting for his life. they were outnumbered and under constant assault, so think it's more a matter of survival...

Last week there's a TV documentary about a savage pit bull attacking a female animal control officer. I am truly bothered with the fact that the camera man kept shooting while the pitbull was charging frantically at the officer and wouldn't let her hand off the bite. He should have at least dropped the camera, picked up a stone, stick or whatever to save the officer in distress. Saving life is more important.

Last edited by rty; 14th June 2002 at 07:36 PM.

Default Re: wad should a photographer do in times of...

Originally posted by Eugene
    a accident/disaster?

I guess most of us have seen sad pictures of tragic accidents and disasters... but does anyone feel why the photographer who took the shot didn't help in such a situation and instead just stood and take pictures?

Any comments or opions?
    Almost every press photographer and reporter I've ever met or worked with have it drummed in to them during PJ and journalism courses that their 'job' is to report events as they see them, dispassionately and without bias and not to become emotionally or otherwise involved.

While this sounds good from a professional ethics view it is very much in contrast with the vast maojrity of people's personal ethics, however in the world of news someone who doesn't capture that 'image' or sequence generally finds themselves out of work as employers take a dim view of those who can't deliver the goods.

Civil law however takes precidence over the news. For example in many countries the first person on the scene of a traffic accident that involves injury or potential injury is legally obliged to render what assistance they can, and that includes photographers, journalists as well as private citizens.

However when all is said and done it's up to the individual and their conscience and for the record I've photographed incidents I'd sooner forget, but alas truly shocking events are hard to erase from ones mind.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

sorry to bring this old post up, but i din wanna make a new 1... :P honestly, is the camera was in your hand, sumthing happened, would you instantly put your camera away to help the person? or would you instantly start thinking bout contrast and lighting? i would... would i would do later would be sumthing else.. but in that instant, i would be thinking, impact? lighting? flash?

And wat if it wassomething embressing rather then say horrendous.. i.e. beauty contest where the contestant shows more then she/he should? then? do you respectfully look away? or start snapping?

And one more, how much privacy would you give? a 600 mm lens gives you alot of power....... over walls and into windows, from the top as well as into the top.... where do we stop?

600mm can see through walls?

But i see there's some interesting discussion here..

Well, personally, i'd.. Hmm.. I think i'd render help first..

Quote Originally Posted by rochkoh
    There was another photographer (whose name escapes me right now) who took went to Africa to take photos of the famine there. A sick starving child was being stalked by a vulture - who was waiting for the child to die. He took some shots, shooed away the vulture and went under a tree to cry. The vulture came back. He left crying - afraid that he would be struck by the same disease. A couple years later, he commited suicide - never forgiving himself for not saving the child in the photo.

do what you need to do.
    That guy name is Kelvin Cline or something like that. The reason he give for not helping was because they were told not to handle the refugees there by the UN stuffs.... REmember reading about this not too long ago in my library....

Quote Originally Posted by Kira
    That guy name is Kelvin Cline or something like that. The reason he give for not helping was because they were told not to handle the refugees there by the UN stuffs.... REmember reading about this not too long ago in my library....
    The guy Kira mentioned is Kevin Carter and there is actually a thread right here in CS which was discussing something similar.

Cheers.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Well I'm glad I'm not a photojournalist........ but then again, I think I'll render help first...... the conscience over the self...... that is what makes man a moral being...... the ability to choose and the motivation for choosing.......

Just because the photojournalist chose to take the photo does not mean that he is not a human being and that he has no ethics. Of course if he took the photo and promptly walked away thinking of how much money he can make out of that shot... he is definitely with questionable morals. Then again how do we judge morals?

If that photojournalist did not take that photo, how do we people who were not at the scene know what happened? That a child was starving? That a building was collapsing? That many people were injured and dying?

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Well I'm glad I'm not a photojournalist........ but then again, I think I'll render help first...... the conscience over the self...... that is what makes man a moral being...... the ability to choose and the motivation for choosing.......
    That's the main different that seprate them from photographers like us....

Photojournalist are trained to present what they take to the whole world. They risk their lifes to bring to the rest of the world in depth coverage of events all over the world. I feel that by being there, they're in fact putting their lifes at risk and it's a great misfortune if they don't do their job...

Just do a head count of how many photojournalist that have lost their life. The most recent being the guy that was killed for pointing a video camera at the US troops in Iraq. The US troop beside the tanks mistaken the camera as an anti tank guilded missile launcher and open fire on him....