Thread: Beijing

Default Beijing

I was asked to go on a biz trip this weekend, meeting on next Monday but I will be going earlier on sat midnight flight, expected to arrive Beijing around 720am. So I got a whole saturday, sunday and tuesday morning-afternoon (flight back at 4pm).

I planned to go to the following:

Saturday : Tiananmen Sq, Forbidden City, Tian Tan temple (where else can you recommend me?)
    Sunday : Take a train to Xizhimen Station to catch a morning train from Beijing North Railway Station to BaDaling (Great Wall of China) (as I am not sure if this will takes the whole morning and afternoon, where else can you recommend me after this)
    Tuesday morning - afternoon : Do some light/last min shopping and probably some street shoots.

I will be staying at Novotel Peace for the first night and Grand Hyatt on the 2nd-3rd night.

First timer here... never been to Beijing.

Default Re: Beijing

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    I was asked to go on a biz trip this weekend, meeting on next Monday but I will be going earlier on sat midnight flight, expected to arrive Beijing around 720am. So I got a whole saturday, sunday and tuesday morning-afternoon (flight back at 4pm).

I planned to go to the following:

Saturday : Tiananmen Sq, Forbidden City, Tian Tan temple (where else can you recommend me?)
    Sunday : Take a train to Xizhimen Station to catch a morning train from Beijing North Railway Station to BaDaling (Great Wall of China) (as I am not sure if this will takes the whole morning and afternoon, where else can you recommend me after this)
    Tuesday morning - afternoon : Do some light/last min shopping and probably some street shoots.

I will be staying at Novotel Peace for the first night and Grand Hyatt on the 2nd-3rd night.

First timer here... never been to Beijing.
    Forbidden city alone will probably take half a way or more if you really wanna explore. That place is MASSIVE!
    Summer Palace is equally huge.
    You shouldn't miss out on the olympic stadium as well...Beijing subway takes you straight there. I shot some night photos there previously.

Also, the climb up to the Great Wall from BaDaLing is really no joke during winter. Breathing in the cold air intensely makes you cough quite a bit. From up there take the sliding platform down(i dont know the proper name for this but its similar to the the Sentosa Luge)...its like a mini roller coaster down and is lots of fun.
    Canon 5D Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by zarray View Post
    Forbidden city alone will probably take half a way or more if you really wanna explore. That place is MASSIVE!
    Summer Palace is equally huge.
    You shouldn't miss out on the olympic stadium as well...Beijing subway takes you straight there. I shot some night photos there previously.

Also, the climb up to the Great Wall from BaDaLing is really no joke during winter. Breathing in the cold air intensely makes you cough quite a bit. From up there take the sliding platform down(i dont know the proper name for this but its similar to the the Sentosa Luge)...its like a mini roller coaster down and is lots of fun.
    thanks for the tips! yah i forget about the olympic stadium.

i edit my itinerary as follows:

Saturday:
    Morning - Tiananmen, Forbidden City
    Late Afternoon - Olympic Stadium, Water Cube (Will try to do a day and night shoot here)
    Evening - Wangfujing (if i am not tired out)

Sunday:
    Badaling (think I can't slot anymore things here...)

Tuesday:
    Early morning - Tian Tan temple
    Afternoon - Last minute shopping (need to buy some local products back for colleagues -_-")

The Olympic stadium and water cube lights will be out ard 2200. So, be there early, else you will miss it. The walking distance also quite far, need to walk fast. (I went last yr april)
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    The Olympic stadium and water cube lights will be out ard 2200. So, be there early, else you will miss it. The walking distance also quite far, need to walk fast. (I went last yr april)
    thanks for the tips!

For the Badaling, if you go by tour group or private driver, you can do Ming tomb in the same time....I paid RMB400 last year for a private tour, just ask any travel agent there....but beware when they bring you to lunch towards the ming tomb, just order something with price listed on the menu, fried rice, fried noodle etc should be fine....I heard next table of mine order somekind of fish from the lake, the bill came up to RMB1000(Yes, 1k), after bargaining they settled for RMB800....what the....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    For the Badaling, if you go by tour group or private driver, you can do Ming tomb in the same time....I paid RMB400 last year for a private tour, just ask any travel agent there....but beware when they bring you to lunch towards the ming tomb, just order something with price listed on the menu, fried rice, fried noodle etc should be fine....I heard next table of mine order somekind of fish from the lake, the bill came up to RMB1000(Yes, 1k), after bargaining they settled for RMB800....what the....
    haha i am going myself. not joining tour. Heard the Ming tomb nothing much to see.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    haha i am going myself. not joining tour. Heard the Ming tomb nothing much to see.
    Ehhhhh.....quite true to the certain extent It's quite spookie somemore the moment you enter the mousoleum....but for me...I have about 7~8days to kill so I tried to follow as faithful as possible to the top 10 Beijing guide that I had

Well, in that case you may come back in noon time (provided you have the transport as train might not be as flexible).....to me, the must go place in Beijing is Forbiden City, Great Wall, Heaven Templer, Olympic Stadium, National theather (the egg)

Others like Summer palace, Yu Her Yuan, Ming tomb, Hutong etc etc can only go when you have more time.....but my advice to you is to make your own extention...any single one of those are huge especially the Forbiden City....Tian an men...Mao Tse Dong tomb and Qian men and you need the leg and body of a hectatlon to walk around these places especially you bring along some heave gear

Hi,
    Your revised itinerary looks fine for a splash n dash trip

If you are going to rent a car to visit the Great Wall, I'd suggest that you go to The Simatai section which is relatively less touristy than the Badaling section (I haven't been to Badaling). In Dec 2007, I hiked the Great Wall for 3 days and ended at Simatai. I loved that section thoroughly.

On the 2nd day, you could visit Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City and the National Grand Theatre (5 mins walk from Forbidden City) for some nightshots

Will camp in the landscapes section for your photos

Cheers
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

For Great Wall, 八达岭 and 居庸关 are too touristy for me, but they are easily accessible via expressway. 慕田峪 slightly further but it's less crowded and more rugged. 司马台 and 金山岭 would be best but they are pretty far, you got to cater one whole day for it.

景山公园just behind Forbidden City (just opposite the rear entrance), though not as interesting, has a good spot for photography - at the hill-top pavilion, where you can see the roof of the many chambers of the Forbidden City.

If you have time, may want to walk around 什刹海 area, as you may be able to find some old hutongs, and not forgetting the Drum and Bell Towers.

Another nice place would be Summer Palace.

Oh yes, if you love arts stuff, can consider 798艺术区 too.
    Last edited by muzikbug; 3rd March 2011 at 08:30 PM.

i am back (last night)!

here's what I covered during my beijing trip...

last saturday - Tiananmen Sq, Forbidden City (did not cover all parts due to time constraint), Jingshan Park (tried to take the overview of Forbidden City but most part of the city is shrouded with fog), day and night shoot of the Olympic Stadium (did not take the Water Cube cos cannot find a nice spot to shoot it)
    last sunday - Spent my whole day trekking all over Badaling (cannot feel my legs and knees after that LOL!)
    last monday evening - Had to attend business meeting in the day, so evening time, took some street photos of Wangfujing Walking Street and also tried their smelly beancurd haha
    Yesterday - Spent a rushed morning at Tian Tan temple before making my way to the airport.

Will post up my photos once i done some touch up.

no time to edit my photos. but i have uploaded all my photos (unedited) to my face book. will find some time to edit my photos and upload to my flickr after my reservist.

Beijing - Day 1
    Beijing - Day 2 Part I
    Beijing - Day 2 Part II
    Beijing - Day 3
    Beijing - Day 4

Quote Originally Posted by asterixsg View Post
    Will camp in the landscapes section for your photos
    photos up!
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...t-Beijing-Trip