Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

  1. #1

    Question Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    Hi all,

    I'm posting this here cuz I've gone thru the portraits section and can't find much info on this.

    Are there tips, tricks to shoot your subjects to give them a more flattering look?

    e.g. asking them to stick their chin out, certain poses or angles to shoot from

    appreciate the advice.. thanks

    =)

    WL

  2. #2

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    usually for local models...

    1) wear a thickly padded bra (no offence)
    2) stop wearing colored contacts because they're not natural. the eyes look glassy and dead with them on.

    erm... i'm not a portrait shooter but.. i did notice that if you ask the model to push her chest together with her arms..to "increase" the size overall... i did see an increase in comments and compliments.

    good luck!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    To my limited Portraiture knowledge, lighting is one of the key element, you have to learn more about it online, youtube is your best friend.
    Same goes for model, if the model is a experienced or good model, who is comfortable with shoots, you wouldn't have much problems.
    Lastly, its the man pressing the shutter button, how are you going to frame the shot, what background do you want, what theme are you looking for, these are many questions you have to ask yourself.

    Start with lighting, also don't forget about post process, its important.
    Visit me on Flickr!

  4. #4
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    usually for local models...

    1) wear a thickly padded bra (no offence)
    2) stop wearing colored contacts because they're not natural. the eyes look glassy and dead with them on.

    erm... i'm not a portrait shooter but.. i did notice that if you ask the model to push her chest together with her arms..to "increase" the size overall... i did see an increase in comments and compliments.

    good luck!
    If beauty is defined in the chest then we really need to examine ourselves to see what our definition of beauty is actually. But as you say, this is applied in a local context, so I guess people here in CS P&P do have such inclinations based on the numerous comments I've seen.

    Anyways, for flattery, it's no different from landscapes, you hide what you want to hide, and you show what you want to show.

    If your model has a upturned nose, you take the trouble to avoid up-nose poses, or a low angle which will emphasize such a flaw.

    If your model has a short body, you could instruct her to wear clothes that hide that fact.

    If your model has long legs, you can emphasize this with focal length choice (though please, not overdone like I've seen here before)

    I could write a lot more (and I admit, I haven't shot any model, ever, though why does that matter, I wonder?); but the bottomline is, understand your equipment - what each of your lenses can do, understand perspective, understand what your objectives are when capturing shots, understand the light and you will not go wrong.

    Most importantly, you can't squeeze water from a stone. So if a 90 kg model at a height of 1.5 metres asks to look like Kate Beckinsale (in a full length shot, at that; it's possible to be done via a close-up if she isn't hideous), I guess you just have to put your foot down and tell her to look in the mirror.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 1st March 2011 at 02:41 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    Quote Originally Posted by weeloong View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm posting this here cuz I've gone thru the portraits section and can't find much info on this.

    Are there tips, tricks to shoot your subjects to give them a more flattering look?

    e.g. asking them to stick their chin out, certain poses or angles to shoot from

    appreciate the advice.. thanks

    =)

    WL
    You won't able to find in our P&P section, as most photographers will only keen to shoot young and pretty or near perfect models

    you will have better luck to looking such posing tip from professional portrait forums, as they shoot everyday people to make them look good, so can make a living out of it.

    hope this help.
    Last edited by catchlights; 1st March 2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You won't able to find in our P&P section, as most photographers will only keen to shoot young and pretty or near perfect models

    you will have better luck to looking such posing tip from professional portrait forums, as they shoot everyday people to make them look good.

    hope this help.
    There are quite a number of books in the library targeted at professional portrait photographers.

    FOC. And no one borrows them, people tend to look more for easier models here, and then pay them money.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    Hi all,

    thanks for the responses so far...

    I'm coming more from the angle of shooting ppl you know...(e.g. wife)

    You know the myth that wedding photographers tend to be attuned to knowing the shots that suit the subject..

    Not really wanting to work magic here but perhaps juz some faux pas to avoid..

    Thanks and keep the tips coming.. =)

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    There are quite a number of books in the library targeted at professional portrait photographers.

    FOC. And no one borrows them, people tend to look more for easier models here, and then pay them money.
    Yes, can look for portrait photography books by Jeff Smith, and Douglas Allen Box
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Portrait Tips to give a more Flattering shot

    You can google the Internet for some tips.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •