Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tripod or External Flash?

  1. #1

    Default Tripod or External Flash?

    Hi everyone,

    which would you buy if you are about to become a freelance photographer (shooting events, portraits, etc.) and you're lacking both tripod and external flash unit?
    Assuming that you only have a budget of about $200 or so. :]
    Canon EOS 450D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    get a benro or any other brand tripod and 3rd party flash like yong nuo. less than 200.

    and you have both.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by phyll View Post
    Hi everyone,

    which would you buy if you are about to become a freelance photographer (shooting events, portraits, etc.) and you're lacking both tripod and external flash unit?
    Assuming that you only have a budget of about $200 or so. :]
    I see that your signature shows both an 18-55 kit lens and a 17-50/2.8
    Since the 17-50 pretty much supercedes the 18-55, might I suggest you sell it for additional budget?
    Shooting events and portraits, I suppose the flash would come in much more handy.
    Flashes with reliable TTL metering aren't that cheap. If you shoot events, having an ext flash you can depend on can be invaluable.
    Exploring! :)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    get a benro or any other brand tripod and 3rd party flash like yong nuo. less than 200.

    and you have both.
    Meaning that each costs less than 200, and not the total amount is less than 200, right? Hmmm, I shall be finding second-hand tripods and flashes then. :)
    Canon EOS 450D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

  5. #5

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I see that your signature shows both an 18-55 kit lens and a 17-50/2.8
    Since the 17-50 pretty much supercedes the 18-55, might I suggest you sell it for additional budget?
    Shooting events and portraits, I suppose the flash would come in much more handy.
    Flashes with reliable TTL metering aren't that cheap. If you shoot events, having an ext flash you can depend on can be invaluable.
    I just got my 17-50, so I'm still wondering if I should sell off my 18-55 for the additional $100 or just keep it as back-up, and in case I wish to sell it together with my 450D body in future.

    Thanks for the advice on flash > tripod for event photography :), I will be saving up for a reliable flash.
    Canon EOS 450D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II

  6. #6
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by phyll View Post
    Meaning that each costs less than 200, and not the total amount is less than 200, right? Hmmm, I shall be finding second-hand tripods and flashes then.
    Do think about what you intend to use the tripod for. If it's to keep the camera stable during long exposures (eg many seconds up to even a few mins), then the cheapo ones are usually not up to the mark. Cheap as they may be, you're actually wasting money on an ineffective product.

    If 2nd hand, your best bet is some rich person who's very itchy and a constant upgrader But such folk are few and far between
    Exploring! :)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    don't think u need a tripod for what u are shooting.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    Quote Originally Posted by phyll View Post
    I just got my 17-50, so I'm still wondering if I should sell off my 18-55 for the additional $100 or just keep it as back-up, and in case I wish to sell it together with my 450D body in future.

    Thanks for the advice on flash > tripod for event photography , I will be saving up for a reliable flash.
    I've heard good comments about the Yongnuo YN560. I think it sells for not much >S$100, so compared to something like Canon 430EX, it's a steal.
    There are differences in performance, build quality, colour consistency, etc. It's up to you whether the price difference is sufficient to sway you or not. good luck!
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9
    Member Alan Chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    561

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    i have exp with both events and portrait, and both can safely do without tripod. invest as much as you can afford on a reliable flash like zerocool mentioned.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

  10. #10

    Default Re: Tripod or External Flash?

    A tripod is more of a useful equipment to have during private gatherings (to capture group photos) and on nights out when I'm trying to capture lights, fireworks, etc. Since I wish to have more experience in event and portrait first, I guess tripod can wait! I'll get a reliable one in future. :)

    Shall now check out the Yongnuo YN560 (since I doubt I should invest in a Canon 430EX right away) and learn all about using external flashes!

    Thanks a lot for the advice, guys! Appreciate it lots!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •