Thread: advise on shooting night scene

Question advise on shooting night scene

Hi,

I'm kinda new to photography. I'm been asked to shoot a night scene, more specifically a bird eyes' view of a landscape from the 18th storey of a building. I was advice by a friend that when it comes to shooting night scene, usually flash does not help espaecially for landscape as the distance would be too far for the flash to hit. However, I've got a problem. The ambient light of the scene isn't really much and will give a good picture. Furthermore, when shooting a bird's eye view, some part of the building surrounding the landscape will also be captured and the client wants to illuminate these building but these building do not have lights to illuminate them. My question is given all these conditions, is there a way I can shoot this scene and bring out the best? The equipments I have are, 28-80mm lens, nikon f65, sigma EF500 flash. Any suggestions welcome.

Forget about the flash as advised and get yourself a sturdy tripod. You'll need it for night scenes. Although its called "night shoot", try not to shoot anything after the sky goes dark. Best time to shoot would probably be between 18:45 to 19:30. Take the shoot while there is still enough light for you to make out the details of the scene and its surrounding.

Also, if you can afford the time, try shooting the scene at different days to capture different ambient lighting. Some place look really gorgeous with the evening sun.

Hmmm..... Make sense. That's what my friend advise too. Ok, thanks Kit will be shooting between 18:45 - 19:30.