Thread: Lens dismount from Body when not used?

Default Lens dismount from Body when not used?

how do you store your camera? do you dismount the lens if not using the camera, say 1 week? or you keep the lens on?

any negative effect if we leave the lens on when the camera is not used for a period of time?

Default Re: Lens dismount from Body when not used?

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxist View Post
    how do you store your camera? do you dismount the lens if not using the camera, say 1 week? or you keep the lens on?
    Mostly, leave a lens on. Either my most commonly used lens, or, if I was lazy when storing, the last lens used.

any negative effect if we leave the lens on when the camera is not used for a period of time?
    None. Except perhaps that you tend to misplace your body cap and rear lens cap!

Store it with the lens. The more we dismount, the higher chances of introducing dust to the sensor

Mounting and dismounting may spoil the coupling in the long run and become loose.

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Mounting and dismounting may spoil the coupling in the long run and become loose.
    Please provide your sources for these assumptions or suspicions. There are many old cameras and lenses working fine without anything of what you describe.
    EOS

i don't dismount the lens when i store the camera..
    don't see the need to do so.. and i'm lazy
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

I keep the lenses mounted.

From the expression of my sentence, you can judge that it is an assumption. I have witnessed an incident of a loose coupling a few days ago while at TK when a man was coupling his old 70-200 mm lens onto his camera and the coupling was noticed to be not tight as compared to a new lens mounted onto the same camera.

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    From the expression of my sentence, you can judge that it is an assumption. I have witnessed an incident of a loose coupling a few days ago while at TK when a man was coupling his old 70-200 mm lens onto his camera and the coupling was noticed to be not tight as compared to a new lens mounted onto the same camera.
    tecnincally is sound, sure there are wear and tear after mount and dismount the lens many times, perhaps after couple of thousand times, but I'm sure most people won't even have a change to see it.
    I must say you are very lucky, as you able to see it and it is not your camera.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

btw, some of my cameras are store with the lens mounted, some are not, it is because I don't have space for all cameras store with lenses mounted. and I don't believe in wear and tear so easily.

Only when I need to change lens...or placement problem, otherwise always have a lens mounted. No issue so far.

I don't think it matters one way or the other, if TS is worried about damage to the lens mount.

Quote Originally Posted by shinejack View Post
    I don't think it matters one way or the other, if TS is worried about damage to the lens mount.
    2 thing to worry:
    1) Lens mount- the "Electro-Focus" chip
    2) Camera mount

Keeping the lens on the body will prevent further wear & tear from the mounting and dismounting.

don't be paranoid, DLSR is interchangeable lens camera system, if worry so much about wear and tear of lens mount, how about consider getting fixed lens camera instead?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't be paranoid, DLSR is interchangeable lens camera system, if worry so much about wear and tear of lens mount, how about consider getting fixed lens camera instead?
    Fixed lens...then will be worry about how to clean the sensor myself...joking only.

No dismount. Lens on.

No negative effect.