Thread: Portable Storage Device recommendation

Default Portable Storage Device recommendation

HI

Anyone can recommendany good relaiable and knock proof external storage devices? I see Nixvue...X-drive...image tank...

I need to get one for a trip..so can I get any help from you guys?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses
    HI

Anyone can recommendany good relaiable and knock proof external storage devices? I see Nixvue...X-drive...image tank...

Thanks!
    I tried the X-drive: Good

I have the Nixvue one: Also good

Cheers!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

HI

Thanks!
    i use the xdrive pro. knock proof? that i have no idea, as i know these storage thingies has a hard disk in them and there are moving parts. so knocking them while copying may cause loss/corrupted data. correct me if i'm wrong.

Why not just get CFs? Kingston is only $117 for 512MB. Though you may have to carry more individual cards, it is lighter and smaller than X-drive, not to mention shock proof etc. You get 1.5GB compared to a 40GB X-drive Pro.....but ask yourself, how many pics can you shoot.
    Nixvue is even more expensive, though you can view pics on it (so can your cam).

Quite fast when i tested it on my D70 in burst mode and write activity LED. It's like the Lexar 40X.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Why not just get CFs? Kingston is only $117 for 512MB. Though you may have to carry more individual cards, it is lighter and smaller than X-drive, not to mention shock proof etc. You get 1.5GB compared to a 40GB X-drive Pro.....but ask yourself, how many pics can you shoot.
    Nixvue is even more expensive, though you can view pics on it (so can your cam)
    Let's see. On my last trip, I shot average of 150 photos per day. Many times, I would shoot the same scene using different exposures and settings. One of the beauties of digital is to allow plenty of room for experimentation. If one shoots RAW, at around 6MB per RAW image, it works out to be 900MB per day. 1.5GB would last less than 2 days. That's not including the occasional video, at 20MB/minute of footage. Now if one shoots JPG, it's almost 400MB per day. 1.5 GB, including video, would last 3 days max.

In any case, what I did was to have 1x1GB and 1x512MB CF with me. This provided me with enough space for 1 days shoot, and at the same time, these 2 cards allowed me some safety in case one of them failed. At the end of the day, I dumped their contents onto the XSDrive that I kept in the hotel room.

The only danger I see is that the harddisk in the XSDrive may fail. There is no solution for this, except to have 2 such drives ! Have your files backed up to BOTH drives. This is rather extreme, and I don't know of anyone that does this. But it would be the safest bet. Chance of both drives failing is very low indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by chriszzz
    Let's see. On my last trip, I shot average of 150 photos per day. Many times, I would shoot the same scene using different exposures and settings. One of the beauties of digital is to allow plenty of room for experimentation. If one shoots RAW, at around 6MB per RAW image, it works out to be 900MB per day. 1.5GB would last less than 2 days. That's not including the occasional video, at 20MB/minute of footage. Now if one shoots JPG, it's almost 400MB per day. 1.5 GB, including video, would last 3 days max.

In any case, what I did was to have 1x1GB and 1x512MB CF with me. This provided me with enough space for 1 days shoot, and at the same time, these 2 cards allowed me some safety in case one of them failed. At the end of the day, I dumped their contents onto the XSDrive that I kept in the hotel room.

The only danger I see is that the harddisk in the XSDrive may fail. There is no solution for this, except to have 2 such drives ! Have your files backed up to BOTH drives. This is rather extreme, and I don't know of anyone that does this. But it would be the safest bet. Chance of both drives failing is very low indeed.
    Video? You using p&s? You can use normal jpg to save some space....you won't see the quality difference even blown up to S8R. Actually what is there to bracket so much if it's not night shots? You just look at blinking highlights/histo, get the exposure right, that's it. If you get it wrong, just delete. I think it is the skills here, not experimentation with the narrow latitude of digital. Even if you burst to try to get a good shot, just delete the worst shots in the hotel or when you are free. I can easily get around 900 shots with 1.5GB in 6mp, normal jpg already. You don't really have to shoot in max quality jpg for shots like ISO 800/1600. (just do an A/B comparison if my claim is unbelivable, even for same scene pics taken at base ISO).

Unless if you are talking about trips like 2 weeks, then perhaps it's prudent to get a digital wallet. Else it's really a white elephant (that's why i sold it). CFs are just more easily and frequently used for stuff like normal shoots, events, weddings etc.....

I don't think processing about 1k of RAW files with most of them bracketed fun If it's totally batched, then why shoot RAW? It's really no fun, even for 600 pics which i have done for an assignment.

HI

Thanks!
    I am using Flashtrax ... 30GB

Details Flashtrax
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG

Details Flashtrax
    How much is that?
    It's avaliable in SG?

Video? You using p&s? You can use normal jpg to save some space....you won't see the quality difference even blown up to S8R. Actually what is there to bracket so much if it's not night shots? You just look at blinking highlights/histo, get the exposure right, that's it. If you get it wrong, just delete. I think it is the skills here, not experimentation with the narrow latitude of digital. Even if you burst to try to get a good shot, just delete the worst shots in the hotel or when you are free. I can easily get around 900 shots with 1.5GB in 6mp, normal jpg already. You don't really have to shoot in max quality jpg for shots like ISO 800/1600. (just do an A/B comparison if my claim is unbelivable, even for same scene pics taken at base ISO).

Unless if you are talking about trips like 2 weeks, then perhaps it's prudent to get a digital wallet. Else it's really a white elephant (that's why i sold it). CFs are just more easily and frequently used for stuff like normal shoots, events, weddings etc.....

I don't think processing about 1k of RAW files with most of them bracketed fun If it's totally batched, then why shoot RAW? It's really no fun, even for 600 pics which i have done for an assignment.

Video : yes I used a A1. Its amazing how much space a short 5 minute clip can take up.

Don't assume that everyone is as skillful as you to be able to get a good 1 shot of every scene. I like to take multiple shots, with different settings. Perhaps the light is dim and I try to get away with ISO100, and to be safe, I also shoot at ISO200 or 400 for higher shutter speed, and deal with the noise later with a noise filter. Noise vs motion blur. Perhaps the dynamic range is too much and I have to take multiple shots at different exposures and combine them later in PS. Perhaps I want to take slightly different viewpoints of the same scene. There's a hundred reasons why I would shoot many photos. You can experiment in terms of settings (ie, technically ). You can also experiment in terms of angles, focal lengths, viewpoints, photos of mundane subjects, etc (ie, aesthetically). All these take up space.

Even JPGs take up lots of space. A 5MP like A1 produces a 2.5MB JPG at the 2nd highest JPG quality setting. The highest quality JPG is even bigger. 1.5GB stores a mere 600 photos. Enough, as I said for 2-3 days. But not for longer trips for me. Yes I could shoot at lower quality, but why bother if I had 20GB of storage with me ? My philosophy is you travel to a place (usuall) only once in your life, so shoot the best technical quality you can.

Deleting photos in a hotel is a waste of time, I've tried scrolling through 100 photos using the tiny LCD. Firstly, its hard to see if you've got good focus on the tiny lo-res screen. Secondly. noise doesn't show up too well. It's only on the big screen of your computer that I can tell. Not to mention that at the end of the day, I'm busy planning for the next day and I don't want to spend 1 hour cleaning up photos. I have plenty of time for that AFTER the trip.

If you travel for just a few days, of coz CFs is good. But a digital wallet is a more flexible choice. It allows practically unlimited travel length. Anyway, to each his own. Stick to your CFs, and I'll stick to my digital wallets.
    Last edited by chriszzz; 31st July 2004 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG

Details Flashtrax

I heard it an amrican brand and it is quite expensive....
    really is it reliable??

Geez.....even your standard of just 600 pics is 16 rolls. Wonder how did they manage last time without digital. Alright, if you like it, then shoot many. I was like you shooting too many when i embarked on digital, but now I go for quality.
    Last edited by 2100; 31st July 2004 at 02:57 PM.

Geez.....even 600 pics is 16 rolls. Wonder how did they manage last time without digital. Alright, if you like it, then shoot many. I was like you shooting too many when i embarked on digital, but now I go for quality.
    Heheh...last time I went with film on a 2 week trip, I shot 40 rolls. Burnt a big hole in my pocket.

Nixvue is even more expensive, though you can view pics on it (so can your cam).

Quite fast when i tested it on my D70 in burst mode and write activity LED. It's like the Lexar 40X.
    er.. $117 for 512MB? Which shop sells at that price?

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    those are the 16x ones I think..

anyway... Just wondering.. When copying for the X-drive... each time it copies.. does it create a unique Directory? Or is it all copied to the root?

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    How much is that?
    It's avaliable in SG?
    Brought it $900 for 30GB storage harddisk at sim lim from Maclink at 5th floor.

Btw, that was 8 months ago ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by jumbocrab
    Best Bargain in Sim Lim Sq (4th sty i think, check hardwarezone). Fast enough for most cams using CFs less the very fast write-times dSLRs (1D2, D2H, D70), main draw is the price.

I heard it an amrican brand and it is quite expensive....
    really is it reliable??
    So fast it is quite reliable and served me well. It was made in Korea and there was another brand think is 'picture viewer' with same design and function from Korea. Same device with different brand names ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    those are the 16x ones I think..

anyway... Just wondering.. When copying for the X-drive... each time it copies.. does it create a unique Directory? Or is it all copied to the root?
    Creates unique directories up to 9999 directories.
    If u copy the same card 2wice, there'll be 2 folder with the same content.