Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Thread: Need advice for new harddisk

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default

    usually a normal motherboard allows for 4 IDE devices ...
    if u put in 3 hard disk ... u only have 1 left for CD-ROM/RW drive etc ...



  2. #42

    Default

    u can install > 4 IDE harddisks into a Computer by adding a IDE controller card ...

    however dunno got enuff power to supply these drives ..
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Originally posted by AdamGoi


    Yes!
    haha i was kinda like expecting a reply on how to do that haha
    anyone can help tell me?

  4. #44

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    haha i was kinda like expecting a reply on how to do that haha
    anyone can help tell me?
    usually a computer can support 4 IDE devices as the following configuration :

    - Primary IDE
    * Master
    * Slave

    - Secondary IDE
    * Master
    * Slave


    some tips b4 u install additional harddisk
    - check computer casing got enuff space
    - check computer got extra power connector for IDE device
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by megaweb
    u can install > 4 IDE harddisks into a Computer by adding a IDE controller card ...

    however dunno got enuff power to supply these drives ..
    some motherboard have RAID controller, so u can put up to 8 IDE devices inside



    I got 5 harddisk, CD-Rom and CD-writer inside....total of 7 IDE devices

    U will need a good power supply to give enough power to these drives...but for me, i use two power supplies..one only for drives, one for the rest of the hardwares

    also, all these drive add up can be very hot, so i tried to space out all the harddisk and put a few fans in front like this...


    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    thanks man!!!

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Originally posted by kamwai

    I got 5 harddisk, CD-Rom and CD-writer inside....total of 7 IDE devices
    wahlau eh!!! KAMWAI!! ur casing so huge

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by megaweb

    some tips b4 u install additional harddisk
    - check computer casing got enuff space
    - check computer got extra power connector for IDE device
    and check that your old IDE cable have 3 connectors (one for motherboard and two for master and slave drive)

    i just open a Dell PC in office and found that there is only 2 connectors on the IDE cable....therefore i cannot install two harddisk in one channel...but then u can always go simlim to buy one if your cable dun have 3 connectors
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    think my ide connector only got 3 slots....

    err 2 hard disk, one dvdrom, one cdwriter, and one A drive.
    dun think got any free slots. so i must get a ide control card right?

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine
    think my ide connector only got 3 slots....

    err 2 hard disk, one dvdrom, one cdwriter, and one A drive.
    dun think got any free slots. so i must get a ide control card right?
    2 harddisks, DVD and CD-writer

    means 4 devices liao

    if your motherboard got on board RAID, then u can use it for your new hardisk

    if not, get a bigger harddisk and give me your old one lor....else u need to get a PCI IDE controller....which is abt $70
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Originally posted by kamwai


    2 harddisks, DVD and CD-writer

    means 4 devices liao

    if your motherboard got on board RAID, then u can use it for your new hardisk

    if not, get a bigger harddisk and give me your old one lor....else u need to get a PCI IDE controller....which is abt $70
    hmmm...then sian leh if i get a 80GB one...do one defrag or scan disk....dunno take how long.
    if i partition it an 80GB into D and E drive, and i defrag ,will it defrag whole 80GB or only 40GB of a drive?

  12. #52
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    haha i was kinda like expecting a reply on how to do that haha
    anyone can help tell me?

    ...hee...I wasn't very helpful

  13. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    69

    Default

    hmmm...then sian leh if i get a 80GB one...do one defrag or scan disk....dunno take how long.

    if i not wrong, when u partition,
    can be considered 2 separate drive ...

    the problem with 1 hard disk if once crash ...
    everything gone ... a few harddisk is safer ...
    but with CD-RW, back up more often ok liao lor

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    What i plan to do it use my back up D drive to become my C drive
    then use the 80GB part it (40GB for 2 drives), use as backup and store photos. ;D

    and get a FASTER CD writer!! my 6x writer like wait until no tomorrow.

    that would cost about lets see....
    harddisk:IBM 120GXP =80GB= (ATA-100) 2MB $176

    ADAM!:how much u bought urs? where?

    Writer:
    AOPEN: $159

    Total :$332...wah.......
    sian 1/2

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    hmmm...then sian leh if i get a 80GB one...do one defrag or scan disk....dunno take how long.
    if i partition it an 80GB into D and E drive, and i defrag ,will it defrag whole 80GB or only 40GB of a drive?
    defrag will defrag according to the drive letter

    ie, if u choose D, it will defrag D only....and not D & E

    got it?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  16. #56

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    hmmm...then sian leh if i get a 80GB one...do one defrag or scan disk....dunno take how long.
    if i partition it an 80GB into D and E drive, and i defrag ,will it defrag whole 80GB or only 40GB of a drive?
    i don't bother with defrag.

    (1) create a partition where important applications go (i.e. where you only install and leave the programs there). like this, never need to defrag that partition.

    (2) other areas of the drive, constantly getting fragmented, i wouldn't bother because you're going to add a new hard disk every 3 years anyway..... and even if you don't change harddisk, clean reformat is often necessary for Win 98/SE after a few years of operation...

  17. #57
    Belle&Sebastian
    Guests

    Default

    Kamwai, your expose CPU reminds me of C3-PO

  18. #58
    mikey2tan
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Need advice for new harddisk

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by eadwine
    [B]

    80GB abit big lah...scandisk or defrag dunno take howwwww long

    =================


    I've a solution 4 u. Partition your hdd. I find that defrag 4 c:\ where windows is takes 4ever. Whereas my d:\ where bulk of my other programs & data doesn't require that much defrag. Defrag makes 4 a lot of work 4 hdd mechanism - esp. when defrag goes back & forth from say 14% back to zero% - so your hdd lives longer & healthier (no crash).

    Data files hardly get defragmented. U can also move your temp internet folder to d:\ 2 avoid cluttering c:\ with non-windows programs.

    Anybody with any other ideas 2 cut down defrag time ???

    Cheers,
    Michael

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Need advice for new harddisk

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mikey2tan
    [B]
    Originally posted by eadwine


    80GB abit big lah...scandisk or defrag dunno take howwwww long

    =================


    I've a solution 4 u. Partition your hdd. I find that defrag 4 c:\ where windows is takes 4ever. Whereas my d:\ where bulk of my other programs & data doesn't require that much defrag. Defrag makes 4 a lot of work 4 hdd mechanism - esp. when defrag goes back & forth from say 14% back to zero% - so your hdd lives longer & healthier (no crash).

    Data files hardly get defragmented. U can also move your temp internet folder to d:\ 2 avoid cluttering c:\ with non-windows programs.

    Anybody with any other ideas 2 cut down defrag time ???

    Cheers,
    Michael
    Get Norton Utilities (or SystemWorks - this includes Utilities, Antivirus, and CleanSweep - more worth it). SpeedDisk is a lot faster than Windows defrag, especially for Win9x.

    Regards
    CK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •