Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunset/ Sunrise settings.

Default Re: Sunset/ Sunrise settings.

This is what I'm doing now :
    - WB = Cloudy (this made a dramatic difference to my shots)
    - Aperture = Sharpest setting for the lens (F4 to F8, depending on lens)
    - Shutter Speed = Let the camera decide (A mode), sometimes use M mode if the camera cannot get it right
    - ISO = 100
    - Exposure Compensation = if necessary, to prevent overexposure
    - Focus = somewhere at the horizon, depending on what's in the foreground
    - Take many, many shots

I will bracket exposures and use mirror lockup, if I have a tripod. Maybe do a panorama as well.

I'm thinking of trying filters next.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i can't rem what setting i use (need to go back check), but using ND filter for sunsets is fun!

i dun memorise settings. most of the time i am shooting with AV mode (so i dun have to bother about shutter speed). but when using with ND filters, i will go into bulb mode and set the aperture while trial and error, time the speed of the shutter.
    You still can use Av what, meter before you put on the ND filter, then go to manual and then compensate for the stops of light lost when using the ND filter

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Differs from lens to lens, but most will do quite well between f/8-f/16.
    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Depends on lens. Diffraction also takes place faster (at larger apertures) with higher megapixels.
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Yup. Diffraction depends on pixel density and at times, the lenses used. On D300 I would go until F16 smallest, sometimes F13. On D700, I have gone down to F22 with no problems. But not all APS-C or FF cameras are the same. Since some cameras have higher pixel densities. So you need to try out on your particular camera to make sure.
    thanks guys! do you guys know of any good soruces to read up on this "sharp" apature zone, diffraction, etc? want to know what's the "safe" apature zones for certain camera bodies and certain lenses. have heard about this before but haven't really got a chance to read in detail.
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by CPhotography View Post
    thanks guys! do you guys know of any good soruces to read up on this "sharp" apature zone, diffraction, etc? want to know what's the "safe" apature zones for certain camera bodies and certain lenses. have heard about this before but haven't really got a chance to read in detail.
    Lens review sites usually talk about diffraction under their sharpness tests, just read them. For most lenses it's around F14.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Lens review sites usually talk about diffraction under their sharpness tests, just read them. For most lenses it's around F14.
    thanks.

so the "safe" apature to use depends on lenses I use? or the camera body? or both?
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by delinquent View Post
    Hi I know this may differ from one to another. But what settings do you guys normally set for sunrise/ sunset? In terms of apperture and ISO.

I normally shoot at ISO 200 and f/3.5. Not sure if it's wrong. Any recommended settings?
    Suggest you refer to this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threa...EVERY-scenario!

Sunrise/Sunset, can shoot so many things. Can shoot people. Different sunsets and sunrises got different exposure settings.

If you're talking about landscapes, then suggest you do this thought process and work from there:

(1) Amount of motion required. If it is too bright, this can be helped with ND filters.
    (2) Depth of field required. Usually F/8 and above, though not necessarily so. If sharpness is desired, refrain from shooting wide open. Or stopping down beyond F/16.
    (3) Based on 1 and 2, you have the aperture + shutter speed already, set the lowest ISO possible for maximum image quality

End of story, it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by CPhotography View Post
    so the "safe" apature to use depends on lenses I use? or the camera body? or both?
    Both. But stop wasting time on that.
    More to read: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm
    Do read up the other tutorials as well. Basic knowledge, easy to understand.
    EOS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123