Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunset/ Sunrise settings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam
    TS, I don't want to sound offensive or anything, but this is not the proper way to learn photography. You should not "memorise" settings for portraits, landscapes, sunrise, sunset. There is no magic setting. You need to know what aperture, shutter speed and ISO does, and then use this knowledge to decide what settings to use to get the desired effect.
    This is so true.

Default Re: Sunset/ Sunrise settings.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    TS, I don't want to sound offensive or anything, but this is not the proper way to learn photography. You should not "memorise" settings for portraits, landscapes, sunrise, sunset. There is no magic setting. You need to know what aperture, shutter speed and ISO does, and then use this knowledge to decide what settings to use to get the desired effect.
    I know what aperture, shutter speed and ISO does. I'm not really memorising, but just trying out different settings. I have different settings myself personally. But it's always best to know what others are doing since most of the time I shoot alone, to have a variety of results to shoot from. Ashamed that I showed a lack of basic knowledge in this thread, hahaha. I did attend DSLR photography courses afterall. Just wanted to learn more from people here .
    See the extraordinary in ordinary. | Always a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by delinquent View Post
    I know what aperture, shutter speed and ISO does. I'm not really memorising, but just trying out different settings. I have different settings myself personally. But it's always best to know what others are doing since most of the time I shoot alone, to have a variety of results to shoot from. Ashamed that I showed a lack of basic knowledge in this thread, hahaha. I did attend DSLR photography courses afterall. Just wanted to learn more from people here .
    Sometimes, being different can bring you much more interesting results. If you just copy others' settings, your shots will just look the same as theirs. Of course, don't be different in an incorrect way

Continue working on your technical knowledge, eventually they will come naturally to you and you don't have to ask others what settings they use, as their advice will not help you achieve the specific effects you are looking for

Sometimes, being different can bring you much more interesting results. If you just copy others' settings, your shots will just look the same as theirs. Of course, don't be different in an incorrect way

Continue working on your technical knowledge, eventually they will come naturally to you and you don't have to ask others what settings they use, as their advice will not help you achieve the specific effects you are looking for
    Yup I will Thanks anyway! Still working on it, but I know I have a long way to go.

normally i will be at ISO 100(base ISO), f9-16 depending on what i want to achieve.

most of the time, i use M mode to shoot landscapes, bulb mode if i let my lens wear sunglasses.

however, there will be times i shoot at ISO 1600/3200, f2.8. really depends on situation.

Yup I will Thanks anyway! Still working on it, but I know I have a long way to go.
    It's not that hard, you'll be surprised how quick you'll be able to grasp these technical stuff. Look around for videos and stuff, there are people on Youtube who do great videos on photography (go search for Dom Bower and Jared Polin on Youtube, they have amazing videos)

For post-processing, look here: http://kelbytv.com/lightroomkillertips/

Navigate around the kelbytv website, they have photoshop tutorials too if you prefer photoshop over lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    normally i will be at ISO 100(base ISO), f9-16 depending on what i want to achieve.

most of the time, i use M mode to shoot landscapes, bulb mode if i let my lens wear sunglasses.

however, there will be times i shoot at ISO 1600/3200, f2.8. really depends on situation.
    Yup, I tried shooting at really high ISO too. It all gives a different feel, and the noise can be easily cleaned in lightroom 3. Thanks for the reply!

It's not that hard, you'll be surprised how quick you'll be able to grasp these technical stuff. Look around for videos and stuff, there are people on Youtube who do great videos on photography (go search for Dom Bower and Jared Polin on Youtube, they have amazing videos)

For post-processing, look here: http://kelbytv.com/lightroomkillertips/

Navigate around the kelbytv website, they have photoshop tutorials too if you prefer photoshop over lightroom.
    Thanks! I'm using both photoshop and lightroom. It'll be a great help to improve somemore
    Last edited by delinquent; 25th February 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Yup, I tried shooting at really high ISO too. It all gives a different feel, and the noise can be easily cleaned in lightroom 3. Thanks for the reply!
    Note that reducing noise softens the image, making it less sharp. Lightroom does a decent job of reducing noise without softening the image too much, but it still does degrade image quality. Furthermore, going high ISO already destroys some details in the image before going through any post processing. Always shoot at the lowest possible ISO, even if you want a grainy effect. Grains can be added in post processing without degrading image quality, but the reverse is not true.

By the way, I've written a "short" guide on the main sliders and stuff in Lightroom/Camera RAW here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855236, could be useful as a sort of crash course in post-processing, if you haven't got time to look through the videos yet
    Last edited by brapodam; 25th February 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks for all your great help! Have learnt alot in this thread. And hope this thread can help others like myself.

Note that reducing noise softens the image, making it less sharp. Lightroom does a decent job of reducing noise without softening the image too much, but it still does degrade image quality. Furthermore, going high ISO already destroys some details in the image before going through any post processing. Always shoot at the lowest possible ISO, even if you want a grainy effect. Grains can be added in post processing without degrading image quality, but the reverse is not true.

By the way, I've written a "short" guide on the main sliders and stuff in Lightroom/Camera RAW here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855236, could be useful as a sort of crash course in post-processing, if you haven't got time to look through the videos yet
    dont always loiter within the box~

Yup, those are exceptions! I hardly shoot with ISO1600, unless really necessary. I try to go as low as possible. Awesome tips

hi guys, just curious, any issues if using really small apatures like f/32 for sunset/sunrise?
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by CPhotography View Post
    hi guys, just curious, any issues if using really small apatures like f/32 for sunset/sunrise?
    Yes, you lose sharpness due to diffraction, but you might gain a star-effect.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes, you lose sharpness due to diffraction, but you might gain a star-effect.
    thanks! what would be a general good apature to shoot to get good sharpness? or differs from lens to lens?
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

thanks! what would be a general good apature to shoot to get good sharpness? or differs from lens to lens?
    Differs from lens to lens, but most will do quite well between f/8-f/16.
    Alpha

Depends on lens. Diffraction also takes place faster (at larger apertures) with higher megapixels.

Blog Entries

It is indeed useful to look at many pictures that you like, and look at the settings used. Then with knowledge of the settings, try to figure out why the photographer chose those settings. Slowly, you will start learning, if you analyze the shots. I recommend you start surfing Flickr. Lots of great photos there and many great photographers.

Blog Entries

Depends on lens. Diffraction also takes place faster (at larger apertures) with higher megapixels.
    Yup. Diffraction depends on pixel density and at times, the lenses used. On D300 I would go until F16 smallest, sometimes F13. On D700, I have gone down to F22 with no problems. But not all APS-C or FF cameras are the same. Since some cameras have higher pixel densities. So you need to try out on your particular camera to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    It is indeed useful to look at many pictures that you like, and look at the settings used. Then with knowledge of the settings, try to figure out why the photographer chose those settings. Slowly, you will start learning, if you analyze the shots. I recommend you start surfing Flickr. Lots of great photos there and many great photographers.
    Yep. That's why I started this thread . Cos by shooting alone I only exposed myself to my own settings. Just want to see what others are doing, and tweak it here and there. Flickr has amazing photos, I spend most of my free time browsing Flickr and deviantart.

i can't rem what setting i use (need to go back check), but using ND filter for sunsets is fun!

i dun memorise settings. most of the time i am shooting with AV mode (so i dun have to bother about shutter speed). but when using with ND filters, i will go into bulb mode and set the aperture while trial and error, time the speed of the shutter.
    Last edited by sinned79; 28th February 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast