Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lens pen

Default Re: lens pen

Quote Originally Posted by CPhotography View Post
    just curious, do you guys use lens pen to clean the front lcd and top lcd display panels?
    ...Why would you want to do that, it's not as if those are very delicate or crucial, and you'd be dirtying your lenspen unnecessarily.

Btw, I used to be a big fan of Lenspens until I realised that they got quite worn out quite quickly, and it's really more economical to get a washable good microfibre cloth in the long run - so now I have 2 sets of cloth, one for general cleaning, one for lens surfaces.

Sorry to jump in.
    If we use a small clean surface material to clean a slightly dirty lens then the area that we clean will be slightly cleaner only, you probably spread the stain over a larger surface so not 99% clean. I always try to find out how to clean a lens thoroughly.
    There is no answer to this problem. If you are satisfied that the lens is clean then its clean. If the photo appear ok then just let it be.
    I seen some pro shooting with very dirty lens but their picture still looks good.
    Just share my way of cleaning lens.
    I use a couple of chamois skin to clean my lens, I repeatedly use another clean piece to clean and another till satisfied. Then wash the skin after each cleaning process.
    Fuji X Pro1 18-55, Voigt SL125mm Apo F2.5.
    Sony 7r 55 2.8,85 1.4,180ed 2.8,70-300,

Quote Originally Posted by CPhotography View Post
    just curious, do you guys use lens pen to clean the front lcd and top lcd display panels?
    yes, I use the old Lenpens to do those jobs.

If you have screen protectors on your LCDs, then you can literally use anything to clean them...
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Lens pens should be replaced when the cleaning compound is depleted or the tip or brush are worn. And on another note, I don't understand the obsession of protecting the LCDs. My Canon 7D's top LCD was scratched within a week of buying it, and my pictures aren't any worse for it. I never put any kind of protection on either LCDs. Even on my 6 year old 20D, there is hardly more than a couple of very light scratches on its LCD. I just think it is silly whenever I see people's cameras on the street with those plastic LCD protectors. Worry more about your lens' front element or filter.
    Last edited by neech7; 24th March 2011 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pansclub View Post
    Sorry to jump in.
    If we use a small clean surface material to clean a slightly dirty lens then the area that we clean will be slightly cleaner only, you probably spread the stain over a larger surface so not 99% clean. I always try to find out how to clean a lens thoroughly.
    There is no answer to this problem. If you are satisfied that the lens is clean then its clean. If the photo appear ok then just let it be.
    I seen some pro shooting with very dirty lens but their picture still looks good.
    Just share my way of cleaning lens.
    I use a couple of chamois skin to clean my lens, I repeatedly use another clean piece to clean and another till satisfied. Then wash the skin after each cleaning process.
    noticed this phenomenon when cleaning too, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    yes, I use the old Lenpens to do those jobs.

If you have screen protectors on your LCDs, then you can literally use anything to clean them...
    tried and personally feel that lens pens do the job quickly and well. thanks CS TAN!
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    Lens pens should be replaced when the cleaning compound is depleted or the tip or brush are worn. And on another note, I don't understand the obsession of protecting the LCDs. My Canon 7D's top LCD was scratched within a week of buying it, and my pictures aren't any worse for it. I never put any kind of protection on either LCDs. Even on my 6 year old 20D, there is hardly more than a couple of very light scratches on its LCD. I just think it is silly whenever I see people's cameras on the street with those plastic LCD protectors. Worry more about your lens' front element or filter.
    for me, I use screen protector to replace the original Nikon plastic cover, I need to show my clients/customers a nice, clean, scratch-free monitor during the session. Nothing turn people off than a dirty monitor with full of scratches.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    for me, I use screen protector to replace the original Nikon plastic cover, I need to show my clients/customers a nice, clean, scratch-free monitor during the session. Nothing turn people off than a dirty monitor with full of scratches.
    I see. Good point.

Anyone uses those ebay lens pen?
    So very cheap, abt S$3+ ..

Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Oh yea.. I've seen those but nv tried leh.. Cuz it's super cheap so no harm trying right? Hehe
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    The really cheap ones don't come from the original company, I've tried it, used it to get off the oil smudges off my LCD, half the compound disappeared (with no "self-replenishing" or perhaps it simply doesn't work)

The ones that cost about S$7~10 are about the right ones

Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
    The really cheap ones don't come from the original company, I've tried it, used it to get off the oil smudges off my LCD, half the compound disappeared (with no "self-replenishing" or perhaps it simply doesn't work)

May I ask Lenspen normally cost how much each in retail store? If ebay must cheaper will get from there instead.
    Know there few different type/sizes of Lenspen for different cleaning surface, for lens, filter, compact camera, sensor etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post

The ones that you bought are from Lenspen (www.lenspen.com)?

Quote Originally Posted by huatman View Post
    May I ask Lenspen normally cost how much each in retail store? If ebay must cheaper will get from there instead.
    Know there few different type/sizes of Lenspen for different cleaning surface, for lens, filter, compact camera, sensor etc.
    i recall paying ard $12 from TK, but my memory may have failed me..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

yeah, you can always replace your lenspen easily... better than to leave the oil smudges all over your filter or lens...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12