Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need precious opinion on Sigma 50mm F/1.4 & Canon 50mm F/1.4?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need precious opinion on Sigma 50mm F/1.4 & Canon 50mm F/1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionX-1994 View Post
    The Sigma suffers from focus shift issues, the issue on the Canon is not as great.
    Yup. I experience some of that myself (especially on APS-C cameras) but I have a workflow to get around it.

But on a FF camera, I noticed the focus shift issue is not very apparent. Not sure why.

sigma =v=b
    facebook | Kiwira

sometimes original makers' lens will also need to be caliberated..... its not an uncommon thingy....
    get a body with micro adjustment? then you can do the cali urself..

I was in the same situation as well, deciding between the two and finally last week I have gotten the Sigma. Well, over the weekend, brought it out for some fun and I was satisfied.

With issue of front/back focussing, well, MA could assist alittle...but do remember to test several copies at the shop the you want to buy from..

This photo was taken with a Canon 5D MKII + Sigma 50mm F1.4 @ 1.4, 1/100, ISO800
    Last edited by HappyPhantom; 8th March 2011 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPhantom View Post
    I was in the same situation as well, deciding between the two and finally last week I have gotten the Sigma. Well, over the weekend, brought it out for some fun and I was satisfied.

With issue of front/back focussing, well, MA could assist alittle...but do remember to test several copies at the shop the you want to buy from..

This photo was taken with a Canon 5D MKII + Sigma 50mm F1.4 @ 1.4, 1/100, ISO800
    Nice. It seems like it will perform better on a FF body instead of APS-C body. Maybe I should try the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens which is specially built for APS-C. Sadly Canon until now haven't came out any 50mm prime for EF-S except for a 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
    | 5D Mark III | 24-70mm F2.8L MK II | 70-200mm F2.8L IS MK II | 600 EX-RT | Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG (A) |

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaby View Post
    Nice. It seems like it will perform better on a FF body instead of APS-C body. Maybe I should try the 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Lens which is specially built for APS-C. Sadly Canon until now haven't came out any 50mm prime for EF-S except for a 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens.
    But you can still mount EF lenses on a APS-C camera body? so no issue right?

You can also try the 50/1.8. Cheap and good. Just that its build is not as solid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12