Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: help needed. hw to remove epoxy ??

  1. #1
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default help needed. hw to remove epoxy ??

    hi guys.. i was wondering, how to remove an item which is glued using Epoxy ? which has a strength of 2tons ?? erm... need some help here guys..if u can help me, maybe u can PM me or email at glennyong@hotmail.com.. its very urgent... i am in need....

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    hi guys.. i was wondering, how to remove an item which is glued using Epoxy ? which has a strength of 2tons ?? erm... need some help here guys..if u can help me, maybe u can PM me or email at glennyong@hotmail.com.. its very urgent... i am in need....
    camera got use epoxy mah....

    What type of epoxy, where it use....
    is it the one from the hot gun one or the one that use in wire-bonding.

    If hot gun type, use soldering iron to melt it.

    For the wire-bonding type, black color one... use soldering iron to melt it and pull but normal this process will temper the component especially wire-bonding component....

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    It depends on how the 2 items are bonded. High strength adhesive like certain superglues and epoxies just require a shearing force. That is to say, you don't pull the items apart. You'd twist them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    The epoxy is made by Nikko, 2ton EPOXY, its a Plastic Steel. got 2 tubes, 1 is the Resin, the other is the Hardener... u gotta mix them up...

    the resin is Polyamine Resin.....help ?? anyone ??

    Thanks Firefox, therat.. but dun seems to buldge... its 2 plastics bonded together, 1 is acylic, the other is Polycarbonate <--nt sure of the exac material, cuz its high impact plastic made frm Injection Moulding one..

  5. #5

    Default

    If the 2 parts to be joined are chemically bonded, you can't break them apart without some damage. It also depends on how much you have used. This kind of epoxy will bond most plastics and will remain so permanently. If you can't break them apart with your hands, which I don't recommend by the way cos you never know what kind of damage you will end up with, try using a small hobby tool like cutter or drill to cut them apart. You can then sand the joints back to 'original' condition.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    The epoxy is made by Nikko, 2ton EPOXY, its a Plastic Steel. got 2 tubes, 1 is the Resin, the other is the Hardener... u gotta mix them up...

    the resin is Polyamine Resin.....help ?? anyone ??

    Thanks Firefox, therat.. but dun seems to buldge... its 2 plastics bonded together, 1 is acylic, the other is Polycarbonate <--nt sure of the exac material, cuz its high impact plastic made frm Injection Moulding one..
    Resin take time to remove.
    U need to do bit by bit with cutter, mini-saw and other tools .....

    Plastic bonded by injection mould... wow lau....
    I don't have another way to open that others than cut it ....

    Take note, the injection moulding is to encase once ... once open.. the casing u can kiss good-bye. U cann't encase back...

  7. #7
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    no la... i meant that the 2 materials that are bonded together is.

    1) Acrylic
    2) High Impact Plastic --> produced parts frm a Injection Mould..

    so now the problem is 2 different materials being bonded together at the wrong position and now needs to be removed... i wouldnt mind damaging the other half, but then, its better to retain the acrylic, cuz its the best piece i have made it outta frm... and by the way... i am doing a mod, thats all... which is used for an exhibition.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    no la... i meant that the 2 materials that are bonded together is.

    1) Acrylic
    2) High Impact Plastic --> produced parts frm a Injection Mould..

    so now the problem is 2 different materials being bonded together at the wrong position and now needs to be removed... i wouldnt mind damaging the other half, but then, its better to retain the acrylic, cuz its the best piece i have made it outta frm... and by the way... i am doing a mod, thats all... which is used for an exhibition.
    use tiner....
    the one use with the liquid paper... that should be able to soften the epoxy... then u slowily remove it..

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    I don't think thinner will work in this case. Those 2 tubes epoxy when mix usually stays permanent. Something got to break to save the other one. But it sure will be tough.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Leith Road
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Errr... what did you glue together?

  11. #11
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark75
    Errr... what did you glue together?

    what u mean ???

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •