Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Lens suggestion

  1. #1

    Default Lens suggestion

    Hey guys, I got a question that has been bothering me and would like to hear some suggestions from you guys!

    Well, I'm considering if I should get the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 lens, and currently my setup is Nikon D90 with 35mm f/1.8 & 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6. So far from the start of my photography journey till now, I only enjoyed shooting street candids and shooting in low light situation. I love shooting streets with my 35mm prime, but in some situation I will feel that it will be better if theres an extra reach.

    My question will be, if you guys are in my shoe,will you...
    1.) Sell off the 18-105mm lens and purchase the 85mm lens?
    2.) Keep the lens and just go on to purchase the 85mm lens?
    3.) Or is there any other lens that you guys will recommend me to get with the budget of $600? (I can sell off my 18-105mm lens to add on to my budget.)
    4.) Don't purchase anything.
    Last edited by Indescribable; 21st February 2011 at 07:39 PM.
    My Flickr
    Nikon D90

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    5) Use your 18-105, fixed at 85mm and see whether you get the results you expect. Get the 85mm if you really need the wider aperture.
    EOS

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    Like the other common question ("Which DSLR shd I get") this always comes down to YOUR shooting style and preferences.
    If you find you don't use you 18-105 lens much, then by all means sell it and get the 85.
    If you find 18-105 useful, keep it, get the 85 and see what happens from there.
    If budget is a constraint, then you'll have to figure out which lens would serve your needs better.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
    Hey guys, I got a question that has been bothering me and would like to hear some suggestions from you guys!

    Well, I'm considering if I should get the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 lens, and currently my setup is Nikon D90 with 35mm f/1.8 & 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6. So far from the start of my photography journey till now, I only enjoyed shooting street candids and shooting in low light situation. I love shooting streets with my 35mm prime, but in some situation I will feel that it will be better if theres an extra reach.

    My question will be, if you guys are in my shoe,will you...
    1.) Sell off the 18-105mm lens and purchase the 85mm lens?
    2.) Keep the lens and just go on to purchase the 85mm lens?
    3.) Or is there any other lens that you guys will recommend me to get with the budget of $600? (I can sell off my 18-105mm lens to add on to my budget.)
    4.) Don't purchase anything.
    It would be practically impossible to give a good answer, since we can never fit in your shoes

    But if it were me, I'd be extremely reluctant to sell off the 18-105, because it isn't particularly expensive, and it's pretty good for its price. Plus, it's always nice to have a zoom lens that covers a "commonly-used" focal range
    Exploring! :)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    5) Use your 18-105, fixed at 85mm and see whether you get the results you expect. Get the 85mm if you really need the wider aperture.
    Alright I will try that when I go out for shooting, thanks for your advise
    My Flickr
    Nikon D90

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    Like the other common question ("Which DSLR shd I get") this always comes down to YOUR shooting style and preferences.
    If you find you don't use you 18-105 lens much, then by all means sell it and get the 85.
    If you find 18-105 useful, keep it, get the 85 and see what happens from there.
    If budget is a constraint, then you'll have to figure out which lens would serve your needs better.
    Haha actually budget is a constraint to me as I'm still a poor student. Hmmm but I still can afford to buy it without selling my 18-105mm
    My Flickr
    Nikon D90

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    It would be practically impossible to give a good answer, since we can never fit in your shoes

    But if it were me, I'd be extremely reluctant to sell off the 18-105, because it isn't particularly expensive, and it's pretty good for its price. Plus, it's always nice to have a zoom lens that covers a "commonly-used" focal range
    Yup I was reluctant to sell off my kit lens too, as I feel that the 18-35mm range would be useful when shooting group shots or some landscapes
    My Flickr
    Nikon D90

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens suggestion

    I was contemplating with a 85mm as well, but I have a 50mm 1.4g instead of a 35mm 1.8. Although i think 35mm is good for those confined spaces. 50mm = 100mm on a dx format. Get a 85mm only if you want to shoot "street + isolate maybe a person" style. If not, a 35mm would really suffice. Since you already have a zoom lense with 105mm, it should be good enough for day to day shoots.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •