Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: shooting people

  1. #1

    Default shooting people

    i got a question to ask....
    how do you all take pictures of people, couples, etc...?
    scenario:
    today as i was walking home, i came across a couple sitting at a void deck. managed to compose the pic in my mind immediately, and i really had the urge to take out my camera and shoot.... but... i'm scared that the guy will stare at me or scold me for taking pictures of them.... how?????
    have been having this problem for quite some time...
    hope to get over it....

    sunnie

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    39

    Default

    well if you want to take a photo of them, in a public place, you can.......but it would be nice if you told them you were taking a shot of them, if you want to capture a candid moment, shoot first, if they see you snapping away, approach them and identify yourself, such as, "hi i'm a hobbist who enjoy photographying people... ...would you like a copy of the product?" if you're using a digital cam you can show them on the spot, if they really object you can delete it on the spot for them......but most of the time, in my experience all the time, they would just say its ok and if they liked it they would say my camera must be very good to take such good photos, and they'll ask for a copy.......

    on the other hand if no one notices then don't bother........as it is a public place, people know they will be "seen".....

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    well personally i wont do it as i find its intruding into people's privacy. Unless u ask them for their permission

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default

    look left ... look right ... if they ain't noticing ... just do it

    but if they are into some more 'hardcore' stuff, don't do it ... u may get killed ...

    disclaimer : i will not be held responsible for any damage to your cammie or body parts should you get knocked for shooting them

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Spore
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    look left ... look right ... if they ain't noticing ... just do it

    but if they are into some more 'hardcore' stuff, don't do it ... u may get killed ...

    disclaimer : i will not be held responsible for any damage to your cammie or body parts should you get knocked for shooting them
    lol kind of detective style

  6. #6
    Moderator Cactus jACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore (Kallang)
    Posts
    3,933
    Blog Entries
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    look left ... look right ... if they ain't noticing ... just do it

    but if they are into some more 'hardcore' stuff, don't do it ... u may get killed ...

    disclaimer : i will not be held responsible for any damage to your cammie or body parts should you get knocked for shooting them
    hahaha

    this is how some of the best street shots are captured!! they are arguable best when captured in a candid moment, rather than posed.

    but use your judgement on this. personally, i might not take a pic of two ppl in an otherwise empty viod deck (might be in an arguement or closing a CS buy/sell or ahlong demanding money back)... a loving couple, maybe... but in the middle of orchard rd... mai tu liao!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    hihi...
    hmm... interesting idea.. hee....
    i guess the idea is just do it hor... shoot liao then think of consequences right....
    thanks for the posts!

    sunnie

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    315

    Talking

    buy super long range lens.
    that's how i get hold of my 12x zoom (420mm) panasonic FZ10.
    still too newbe and poor to buy DSLR.....
    Nikon D5000, D70; Nikon 18-55, 18-70, 70-300; Sigma 18-250, 50-500.

  9. #9

    Default

    Buy a long lens and shoot from far away -solves all your problem

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West area
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    50-500mm sigma lens.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunnie_kenji
    i got a question to ask....
    how do you all take pictures of people, couples, etc...?
    scenario:
    today as i was walking home, i came across a couple sitting at a void deck. managed to compose the pic in my mind immediately, and i really had the urge to take out my camera and shoot.... but... i'm scared that the guy will stare at me or scold me for taking pictures of them.... how?????
    have been having this problem for quite some time...
    hope to get over it....

    sunnie
    Shoot from the back.

  12. #12
    Member ltma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    157

    Default

    I agree, shoot from the back or sides. I would not shoot from the front especially if it is too close.

  13. #13

    Default

    Better still, don't put film or card inside your camera. That way, they can't sue for peanuts.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore - Indonesia
    Posts
    252

    Default

    wear sneaker, jeans, t-shirt. Shoot and before they can say anything, run!!!!! :P
    Honestly, do it carefully, after sometime, you would enjoy it.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    308

    Default Yah...

    ...I agree...funny. But it's true, it's damn difficult to take pictures of people, candid one at least. But I think the 'ang mohs' get away quite easily with that cos everyone sees them as tourist so...besides most of the locals / heartlanders's England not so powderful and scared to question them but for us...guess running is a good option. Sometimes people even think I'm with CID or ISD trying to capture their photos for,,,you know,,,

    No but seriously, anyone has any more tips to offer on Street photography / shooting people. Long lens...hmmm.... I tried before with a modest 180mm but a lot of things tend to get in the way - people walking by, traffic etc...

    Another good suggestion is perhaps to go shooting in a group, that way it's US against THEM!!!! What do we think?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adzz
    50-500mm sigma lens.
    Add in 2x or 3x teleconverter ... that will surely works ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  17. #17

    Default

    1. Get a Sony Cybershot U-50 (black)

    2. Tape up the shiny silver metal ring of the lens with black tape.



    3. Take pictures of scenes on your right and left without anyone ever knowing that you are NOT sms-ing a friend:




    I know, I know. Too sneaky.

  18. #18

    Default

    wah pian .. like tat oso can meh ... really is really too sneaky ... good spy tools ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    ...I agree...funny. But it's true, it's damn difficult to take pictures of people, candid one at least. But I think the 'ang mohs' get away quite easily with that cos everyone sees them as tourist so...besides most of the locals / heartlanders's England not so powderful and scared to question them but for us...guess running is a good option. Sometimes people even think I'm with CID or ISD trying to capture their photos for,,,you know,,,

    No but seriously, anyone has any more tips to offer on Street photography / shooting people. Long lens...hmmm.... I tried before with a modest 180mm but a lot of things tend to get in the way - people walking by, traffic etc...

    Another good suggestion is perhaps to go shooting in a group, that way it's US against THEM!!!! What do we think?
    1) If you are nervous about people photography, perhaps it's not for you? Try something else?

    2) The best cure for any fear is to face them. It always works.

    3) You'd be suprised that 3/4 of your people subjects won't give a sh** about you or your camera in general. They just find you odd.

    4) Using a long lens is the lamest excuse to give for fear of getting close to people.

    5) You must ask what's your motive for these people shots. Justify them with your motives.

    6) if you won't shoot at eye-level, don't shoot at hip level.
    Last edited by Minoxman; 31st July 2004 at 10:01 PM.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minoxman
    1) If you are nervous about people photography, perhaps it's not for you? Try something else?

    2) The best cure for any fear is to face them. It always works.

    3) You'd be suprised that 3/4 of your people subjects won't give a sh** about you or your camera in general. They just find you odd.

    4) Using a long lens is the lamest excuse to give for fear of getting close to people.

    5) You must ask what's your motive for these people shots. Justify them with your motives.

    6) if you won't shoot at eye-level, don't shoot at hip level.
    this is the best ever advise i ever got from you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •