Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Question on Polarizer usage

  1. #1
    Member tony_teo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tanah Merah
    Posts
    276

    Default Question on Polarizer usage

    Just a quick question. If I were to shoot the horizon at mid-day (i.e. sun at 12 o'clock) , would I get the maximum polarizer effect?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony_teo
    Just a quick question. If I were to shoot the horizon at mid-day (i.e. sun at 12 o'clock) , would I get the maximum polarizer effect?
    No you won't get the maximum effect since the sun is directly above you. It works best when you are at 90 degrees to the sun.

  3. #3
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Question on Polarizer usage

    Quote Originally Posted by tony_teo View Post
    Just a quick question. If I were to shoot the horizon at mid-day (i.e. sun at 12 o'clock) , would I get the maximum polarizer effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    No you won't get the maximum effect since the sun is directly above you. It works best when you are at 90 degrees to the sun.
    not exactly, the sun above is still perpendicularly with the lens axis.

    but the light does not flattening the subject/scene, best is to have some side lighting effect.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights

    not exactly, the sun above is still perpendicularly with the lens axis.

    but the light does not flattening the subject/scene, best is to have some side lighting effect.
    Oops... I'm wrong there but would it have more effect than at let's say sunrise? Assuming you are shooting at 90degrees in both cases
    Last edited by spree86; 20th February 2011 at 06:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Question on Polarizer usage

    You want to darken the sky and not the horizon. As such the best time is usually early morning and late afternoon.

    I like to use my CPL between 9:30am and 10:30am.

    This picture is taken at 9:30am


  6. #6
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: Question on Polarizer usage

    This is taken at 10:12am.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •