Thread: hairline in viewfinder

Default hairline in viewfinder

Hi all,

I'm a noob. Just bought a D3100 last week and discover there's a hairline when I see through the view finder. Tried using the blower on len and viewfinder but to no avail. However live view didn't show any hairline and pictures taken were fine. Any advice?

Default Re: hairline in viewfinder

Quote Originally Posted by waikiki69 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a noob. Just bought a D3100 last week and discover there's a hairline when I see through the view finder. Tried using the blower on len and viewfinder but to no avail. However live view didn't show any hairline and pictures taken were fine. Any advice?
    hair or dust show up on viewfinder usually won't show on final images, cos it mostly are landed on the focusing screen. Shouldn't be too concern about it, tho it rather irritating when you look thru the viewfinder.
    you can send for cleaning but it will cost you money, and it won't guarantee will not happen again.
    My advice is leave it at it is, don't attempt to clean it yourself unless you know what you are doing, you may damge the reflex mirror or scratch the focusing screen, in the end cost you even more money and the camera is out of action.
    pay no attention to the dust but the scene, you will not notice it after awhile.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Leave it alone.

Thumbs up Re: hairline in viewfinder

It's indeed irritating but glad it's a norm. Guess I'll have to learn to live with it. Thanks for the advice

Had it once, my suggestion is: don't ever touch the viewfinder glass. It is some sort of sticky and very sensitive (real sensitive).
    As mentioned by catchlights, don' bother with it. Cheers!

if it's in a strategic position, you can use it to help your composition

Perhaps TS could try blowing upwards in the direction of the focusing screen?
    Some care should be taken not to cause more damage of course.
    Exploring! :)