Thread: Old has its charm

Default Old has its charm

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition of the photograph, am I able to draw viewers to a story?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This is an old jetty in Jurong lake. Among the calmness of the lake, golfers were enjoying their game and fishes swimming in the water. It is so peaceful on a Sunday morning.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    This is almost like a forgotten place with a few joggers and old men fishing. Have set to A setting and ISO 200 using a Nikon D5000 without filter.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?
    After almost 2 months into photography, I have a little better control of the camera and am able to take shots that are not overly or under exposed. Composition and framing of a photo is still very lacking and by posting such photo, I hope to learn from you guys and improve.

Default Re: Old has its charm

Nothing special, feels like a snapshot.
    Exposure-wise looks OK, but there really is nothing special about the shot.

Perhaps you should just zoom into a single concrete block and shoot it as a long exposure (tripod + ND filter, if necessary): may work quite well as a minimalist shot.

what story u want to convey in this photo..?

the old jetty might be interesting if shot in different angle..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

For composition, you have to keep in mind 3 basic things that captures attention - lines, shapes, colors.

For your photo, nothing about it captures a lot of attention.
    Foreground - Rather murky water. Not interesting. (No shape, no line, no color)
    Background - Old pier intersects towards?? (Got line, but leads to nowhere)

Try shooting a single block, try shooting a different angles - shots don't always have to be taken while standing up straight, try an upward shot towards the sky, or downwards to the water.
    Keep shooting! B&W, sepia photos usually add a lot of charactersitc to old looking stuff.
    Visit my photo blog : X-Light Photography | FB

Since you're starting out, don't be too overly concerned over under or over exposed images. In doubt, just bracket -0.7, 0, +0.7 etc. I don't believe you won't understand basic exposure by the time you've mastered basic composition. Learning habits vary but as a starter I'd advise not to try focusing on a specific theme or direction too much. Instead of wanting to show the 'calmness of Jurong Lake', why not make 'Jurong Lake/Park' the subject? You could pound your head trying to compose those jetty blocks when families at play, anglers and flora go largely unnoticed. Choose something easy to learn composition, the pictures won't be definite keepers but that's the learning process.

Hey, thank you for all the comments and suggestions. They are very useful. I am the type that will continue to post and try. That is what is forum is all about right?

Will post new photo once I can capture something more interesting.