Thread: D70 or prosumer for me?

Default D70 or prosumer for me?

just want some comments from you people constantly in the game.

I have a F80 nikon system with a nice 28-105 AFD and 70-300.

moving from film, it's been a good 12 years of hits and misses with my shots. blame it on luck, skill or expired film, I'm almost done with the stress of unknown results until the lab calls me to collect my prints. good days, I get poster worthy pin ups. bad days, 80% wasted plastic/flash battery life.

I do mainly street shooting but occasionaly product shots (semi-macro) on seafood/engineering stuff.

deciding between D70 or a prosumer like oly 8080.

how guys?

based on yr needs (poster size.. macros..) i would say go for the D70. its a very good buy compared to a prosumer digicam (or a Canon 300D for that matter). you already have a 'grounding' on SLR platform so the most natural progression is to a D-SLR. i myself am a prosumer user using a Sony F828. but given a choice (budget) i would have gone for the D70 (im still eyeing it) as i was an film SLR user (Nikon F-801S with 3 lenses) for many years like yrself. so if yr budget permits go for it. i will take more time to join you ; ) but prepared to spend more on lenses just like you did for your film SLR. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by phero-man
    just want some comments from you people constantly in the game.

I have a F80 nikon system with a nice 28-105 AFD and 70-300.

moving from film, it's been a good 12 years of hits and misses with my shots. blame it on luck, skill or expired film, I'm almost done with the stress of unknown results until the lab calls me to collect my prints. good days, I get poster worthy pin ups. bad days, 80% wasted plastic/flash battery life.

I do mainly street shooting but occasionaly product shots (semi-macro) on seafood/engineering stuff.

deciding between D70 or a prosumer like oly 8080.

how guys?

Think with the price so cheap..there is not much of budget constraint...
    Get a D70 and captilize with ur existing lenses

rain man : thanks man.

artyboy: i know your feelings. not that I can jump into dslr immediately, but saving for a few months may well be worth it.

my 28-105 has macro mode... though a dedicated CU lens might be 'better', but I don't think the digital sensor can tell significant difference yet.

for your case, digital SLR may be your call after all, then you unlock the 12 years of working on your SLR and find out where the hits and misses actually amass from.

Belle&Sebastian : thanks man. now... just looking out for a good offer.

just wondering, for second hand DSLR's, does the respective agents do recalibration for the sensors/electronics? just a thought.

For your situation, better to get D70 as it will benefit you more.

D70. It will let you explore and learn much fast. At least digital allows me to earn money now, enough to pay off body and flash!

i don't think $1900 for a body alone is cheap but its superiority to a prosumer can't be denied. reason i went for a prosumer is i was not prepared to spend on the lenses.. yet. but i could foresee that even after i get a D70 i would still keep the F828 cos despite its flaws its still capable of great results.

just a question (the answer may result in me asking someone to give me a swift kick at my rear end), i heard that the D70 supports Nikkor AF-D & G lenses etc. i sold off my F801S with 3 lenses which are AF-Nikkors (no D), will these lenses be able to use on a D70? if not then the loss is that much easier to swallow, if they are compatible i'll get someone to do the honour of leaving his footprint on my butt. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by artyboy
    i don't think $1900 for a body alone is cheap

I thought it's only like 1650 out there.

Your old Nikkors no D? Still can use lar. Just no full advantage of the 3D Matrix 3D metering.....i think there may be some other points but i am no expert.
    Last edited by 2100; 29th July 2004 at 07:00 PM.

hmm.. then the on-line price list must be outdated...
    its certainly very attractive at that price, the kit version would be even better! fingers crossed...

Quote Originally Posted by artyboy
    hmm.. then the on-line price list must be outdated...
    its certainly very attractive at that price, the kit version would be even better! fingers crossed...
    Can give the following a call first and find out about the prices.

Lords Cameras & Watches
    304 Orchard Rd #01-79 Lucky Plaza
    Tel : 6235 4605

M S Color Service *
    Blk 711 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8 #01-3501C
    Tel : 6457 6380

2100 - thanks alot, really appreciate it.
    since i'll be keeping the F828, the D70 will have to wait a while longer.
    somehow i just knew the SLR-bug simply refuses to go away