Thread: On/Off external flash quick

Default On/Off external flash quick

I am using a 550D + YN 468 Flash. Is there anyway I can leave the flash power on but not firing the flash when I take a photo? and enable it when I need it? Because I found I may not need a flash for every shoot, but turning on/off the flash will take me another 3-4 secs of pressing and charging.

thx =)

Default Re: On/Off external flash quick

Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    I am using a 550D + YN 468 Flash. Is there anyway I can leave the flash power on but not firing the flash when I take a photo? and enable it when I need it? Because I found I may not need a flash for every shoot, but turning on/off the flash will take me another 3-4 secs of pressing and charging.

thx =)
    Just off the flash at the camera side, tell the camera not to trigger the flash.

even if I use custom menu, it will still takes a few clicks before I can reach it. Is there any other options? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by slmka
    even if I use custom menu, it will still takes a few clicks before I can reach it. Is there any other options? Thx
    I'm a Nikon user, so not sure about that but don't think the 550D has shortcut buttons for that

Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    Because I found I may not need a flash for every shoot, but turning on/off the flash will take me another 3-4 secs of pressing and charging.
    Really?
    Just switching off the flash doesn't mean the capacitors get discharged. They will keep the charge for quite some time. Which means, if you switch on the flash again it's ready without delay for charging.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Really?
    Just switching off the flash doesn't mean the capacitors get discharged. They will keep the charge for quite some time. Which means, if you switch on the flash again it's ready without delay for charging.
    hmm, I think the reason of the delay is due to the way the YN is designed.
    The on button have to be pressed for awhile before the flash is turned on, unlike Canon flashes where it's just a flick of the switch.

TS, maybe you wanna switch to a Canon flash? or maybe even upgrade to a body that has custom functions with the turn of the dial?

Switch it to slave mode.. But it may be trigger by flash from other camera.