Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with Studio Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    2100:

i used F8 all the while... hmm your suggestions is good... i may try it out when i have the time. thanks
    f8 all the time? Alright, play with the aperture, that is the setting which controls exposure, not the shutter. Even full power flashes have arc durations of ard 1/1000th sec max. 1/8 may have as fast as 1/5000. There is probably no difference between 1/100 and 1/1000th of a second on your cam at low ISOs and f8 with your indoor environment.

An extreme eg would be in a totally dark room. You can expose for 100 seconds and the flash exposure for 1/1 power would still be same as a 1/1000s exposure. Shutter controls ambient, aperture controls flash, you control the ratio with both.

HPtay, you may want to try using those white LED torchlights. Eastgear selling a nice $25 one with 9 LEDs but uses CR123. Bleah.... That homefix shop in Centrepoint 3rd story sells a 8 LED unit which uses 3AAA, costs only $19. Buy 2 or even 3! Very good for macro work.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    HPtay, you may want to try using those white LED torchlights. Eastgear selling a nice $25 one with 9 LEDs but uses CR123. Bleah.... That homefix shop in Centrepoint 3rd story sells a 8 LED unit which uses 3AAA, costs only $19. Buy 2 or even 3! Very good for macro work.

hey 2100,
    thanks , will go look for them when i hit town.
    btw, the 8 led a unit means that there are 8 led bulbs in 1 torch unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    why not you use a dark background, black and block off all the reflections. use only one light with a snot and play with hitting at the right angles.

black background will cut all the extra reflections on the white blackground and can make your gem more contrastly.

the trick is to control the light for gems.
    i thought about that but unfortunately, a white background is sometimes prefered for catalogs etc.

with one light source and snot, a shadow may form .. later i try and post some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    hey 2100,
    thanks , will go look for them when i hit town.
    btw, the 8 led a unit means that there are 8 led bulbs in 1 torch unit?
    Yup, 8 LEDs in 1 compact unit, directional constant lighting. Quite bright, i think i got something like 1/100s, f8, ISO 400 for a decent closeup with 3 units.

the 8 led thingy use cr123 lithium battery? btw the size is how big? a small torch or something bigger? any flicker free white lights that look like a lamp?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    the 8 led thingy use cr123 lithium battery? btw the size is how big? a small torch or something bigger? any flicker free white lights that look like a lamp?
    The one that i recommend at Centerpoint uses 3xAAA. $19 with 8 LEDs, it is like those lamps you wear on the head but much smaller (i guess you can mount on bicycles too). CR123 is not recommended as they are very expensive, it's a $8-9 per battery change. You can even get NiMH AAA batts if you use a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12