Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Sinus cure?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Sinus cure?

    Hi All,

    I've recently got a sinus problem where mucus keeps flowing from within my nose down to the throat, causing cough. Have been seeing many doctors but not much improvement. Most of them prescribed antibiotics, which didn't solve the issue.

    I have just come across a product online called SinusWars and tempted to try it out. Not sure if anyone here has tried this out before? Is it safe and effective?

    Any comments and opinions will be appreciated.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Hi All,

    I've recently got a sinus problem where mucus keeps flowing from within my nose down to the throat, causing cough. Have been seeing many doctors but not much improvement. Most of them prescribed antibiotics, which didn't solve the issue.

    I have just come across a product online called SinusWars and tempted to try it out. Not sure if anyone here has tried this out before? Is it safe and effective?

    Any comments and opinions will be appreciated.
    Sinus is medically known as allergic rhinitis, its an immunity-linked problem so antibiotic would not help. Not sure about the product but i think the best way to solve it its to take antihistamines or use steroidal nasal sprays.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Sinus is medically known as allergic rhinitis, its an immunity-linked problem so antibiotic would not help. Not sure about the product but i think the best way to solve it its to take antihistamines or use steroidal nasal sprays.
    Thanks! Think I've been taking in too much antibiotics!

    Anyone has tried SinusWars products before?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  4. #4

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    use nasal spray will be the best way to curb it once your cough is cured. there is nothing to cure your sinus right now. i have the same problem now and then. used to it already.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Take more zinc, it can help boost your immune system and reduce symptoms.

    If it's allergy-caused, try taking a claritin.
    Alpha

  6. #6
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    for long term cure... u can consult a specialist and go for an operation.

    i am worst then u. my sense in smell is very bad till i cannot smell anything unless its very pungent (which is a good thing sometimes haha).

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    for long term cure... u can consult a specialist and go for an operation.

    i am worst then u. my sense in smell is very bad till i cannot smell anything unless its very pungent (which is a good thing sometimes haha).
    I don't think operation would help, since you cannot remove the histamine receptors that cause it, there's no cure but its a small problem that can be managed easily.

    and that's dangerous if you have leaking gas at home and you can't smell it
    Last edited by spree86; 18th February 2011 at 11:30 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Years ago, I came across some talks on curing sinus with honey and Garlic. I bought a bottle of the honey (pure natural honey) and soak 100 cloves of peeled garlic in it for 30 days. After that Take one every day and man, its not easy to swallow.

    It some how reduce my sinus attack but recently it getting back again. BTW, I have very sensitive sense of smell and can smell anything even when my nose if full of those yucks mucus. I'm allergic to perfumes, and any pungent smells.


    Nasal spray does helps too but I dont like spraying it into my nose.

  9. #9
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    I have tried propolis, honey, Chinese medicine, garlic. None of it works , at most temporarily. Then after a while it will not help. Might be placebo effect.

    That said, I had zero sinus problems in Europe. Something to do with the humidity and weather? Can try taking a test trip there if you haven't been, but of course it is probably not an easy solution even if it works.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default

    I don't advice going for an operation. I used to have bad sinus and I wanted to go for an op when I was in sec sch until mum's friend told her that her son went for one, suffered for 2 weeks after op thinking that will be the last suffering but a few years later the sinus came back. I tried nasal spray for a while but i grew dependent on it! My sinus is much better now as under the recommendation of a pharmacist friend, I consume loads of supplements especially cordyceps. Now instead of a box of tissue daily, I only use a pack (max) a day to blow my nose.

    I agree with edutilos. It's the weather in Singapore as my nose was so happy in dry countries.
    Last edited by cowmera; 18th February 2011 at 01:28 PM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

  11. #11
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    and that's dangerous if you have leaking gas at home and you can't smell it
    yah... if the gas smell is light i wun be able to smell it

  12. #12

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Sometimes its triggered and "prolonged" by office environment. Some server rooms do not change the HEPA filters, I know mine does not change it even after 9 lousy frigging years. Office carpet also one of the main factors. I have very slight allergic rhinitis. You know, every friggin company is really cheapo nowadays even the big MNCs (not all of course), the shampooing of the carpet was cut from 3 months to like literally ZILCH. NB its really @Q#$!#@ one and one by one all my colleagues then started to fall sick easily and MC here and there. There used to be shampoo carpeting occassionally but then nothing when you know what happened years ago. Then the whole room was renovated and carpet changed, HVAC changed everything changed. We moved in, after the initial first week or so we all miraculously did not suffer from any attacks for like 1.5 years till now. You can see the carpet, its like greyish black for those well-walked paths, ie to the toilet.

    ie. CHEAPO.

    It does not cure your problem, but hey as long as we do not add on to it.

    If yours just got serious, perhaps you may have to look at your home too. For mild sufferers, usually a HEPA air-cleaner would work. Sharp has the KC-840/850E, the 840E would suffice for a HDB bedroom and it comes with humidifier too. The humidifier does not pump out a lot of water vapour, but if your a/c is set at 26 deg C, usually no issue to stabilise the humidity level to relatively ok levels like 60-70%. Its not expensive, now I think what $478, and the replacement HEPA-10 filters are easily available at Best Denki (but like 2 to keep).
    The Sharp additionally has Plasmacluster +ve ions, google it how this is different from Anions which all other technologies use. The only issue is that the Sharp is fairly loud, but I sleep with ear plugs on, no issue.

    If you want more hardcore ones, get the HEPA-13 ones from Blueair (available from Best Denki)
    http://www.blueair.com/Singapore/en/products/


    Get it here, slightly cheaper than Best Denki + free delivery. Video inside too...
    650E
    http://www.mjhub.biz/?p=3369

    203
    http://www.mjhub.biz/?p=3976

    Best Denki stocks the replacement filters (important)

    As long as you keep your room clean/besheets clean, this really works as complementary. You can enjoy your a/c too, no reason why allergic rhinitis sufferers cannot do that.
    Last edited by 2100; 18th February 2011 at 02:02 PM.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    If yours just got serious, perhaps you may have to look at your home too. For mild sufferers, usually a HEPA air-cleaner would work. Sharp has the KC-840/850E, the 840E would suffice for a HDB bedroom and it comes with humidifier too. The humidifier does not pump out a lot of water vapour, but if your a/c is set at 26 deg C, usually no issue to stabilise the humidity level to relatively ok levels like 60-70%. Its not expensive, now I think what $478, and the replacement HEPA-10 filters are easily available at Best Denki (but like 2 to keep).
    The Sharp additionally has Plasmacluster +ve ions, google it how this is different from Anions which all other technologies use. The only issue is that the Sharp is fairly loud, but I sleep with ear plugs on, no issue.

    If you want more hardcore ones, get the HEPA-13 ones from Blueair (available from Best Denki)
    http://www.blueair.com/Singapore/en/products/

    Get it here, slightly cheaper than Best Denki + free delivery. Video inside too...
    650E
    http://www.mjhub.biz/?p=3369

    203
    http://www.mjhub.biz/?p=3976

    Best Denki stocks the replacement filters (important)

    As long as you keep your room clean/besheets clean, this really works as complimentary. You can enjoy your a/c too, no reason why allergic rhinitis sufferers cannot do that.
    Hey thanks for the info! I keep my room clean and change the bedsheets weekly but I still want an air purifier, just don't know which is good. Will check out your recommendation.
    I'm a cow with a camera

  14. #14

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Changing bedsheets weekly is good. But the thing is that walking on the floor generates nearly 1 mil particles, unless you vacuum and then mop the floor daily. Somemore the vacuum MUST be with HEPA-10 main bag and HEPA-13 exhaust filtered. Else you will go pretty much "dustless" visually. But the super fine particles which is below 2.5 microns (cannot really see) is not filtered, just re-circulated around. Esp bad if you are beside an e-way or main road. Google super fine particles. The air-cleaner solves this partially, but to enhance the effect, do invest in a HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner too.

    Depends on your budget. The Sharp KC-840 is really good value for money with fair performance, just a wee bit loud. You don't need to spend additionally on say a Novita piezoelectric ultrasonic transducer type humidifer (those put out water vapour one). The Sharp one has a wheel with a wet cloth which rotates in the cleaned airflow, thus evaporating the air. If you whack your a/c really cold (you get low humidity then), you can feel the air output to be about 2-3 deg C cooler, due to the cooling effect via evaporation.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I have tried propolis, honey, Chinese medicine, garlic. None of it works , at most temporarily. Then after a while it will not help. Might be placebo effect.

    That said, I had zero sinus problems in Europe. Something to do with the humidity and weather? Can try taking a test trip there if you haven't been, but of course it is probably not an easy solution even if it works.
    Hey, looks we have the same discovery. I had no sinus problem when I was in Germany and Holland in winter. Got to have something to do with the humidity or maybe the pollutant in our air.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Virgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    4,816

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Looks like a lot of CSers with this irritating problem! Some are chronic, some are not. I have to admit I got this problem only after a flu last Dec, and it's still there!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

  17. #17
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch

    Hey, looks we have the same discovery. I had no sinus problem when I was in Germany and Holland in winter. Got to have something to do with the humidity or maybe the pollutant in our air.
    Believe me, London is not all roses and daisies when it comes to air quality. More likely to be humidity.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Me too, TS is no exception. I do have sinus, which I keep sneezing every morning..
    Think fast, aim for the best !

  19. #19

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    Looks like a lot of CSers with this irritating problem! Some are chronic, some are not. I have to admit I got this problem only after a flu last Dec, and it's still there!
    Yea, I have it since young, I found out that the best way is to find out what's your allergen, which is the trigger, it could be anything. I found out that mine is dust and cold air. Some people have very specific allergens like pollen, so as long as you avoid contact with the allergen, your rhinitis is unlikely to be triggered.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Sinus cure?

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Yea, I have it since young, I found out that the best way is to find out what's your allergen, which is the trigger, it could be anything. I found out that mine is dust and cold air. Some people have very specific allergens like pollen, so as long as you avoid contact with the allergen, your rhinitis is unlikely to be triggered.
    Mine is dust, normal household dust. I can stand beside a busy road with lots of pollutants and black smoke (I'm talking about hardcore Indonesia, Singapore no problem lah....kids play ) at a transient period and no issue. But prolonged exposure like in hours will trigger it. Remember the phrase "the indoor air may be more polluted than outdoor air"?

    Most air-cleaners also have activated charcoal filter, the Sharp KC series and Blueair have that. Absorbs VCs, perfumes, even fart smell etc....

    How do I know whatever Sharp KC-840 or Blueair air cleaners work and not just marketing mumbo jumbo? Well just use a laser pointer, esp those green ones which may be visible esp above 5mW. Hold it so that you are looking "against the aperture" which makes the beam pretty visible in the dark. With the cleaned air, the beam is pretty much invisible. Outside the room, it is visible. This allows you to "see" the ultrafine particles.
    Last edited by 2100; 18th February 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •