Thread: Help on travel

Default Help on travel

Dear CS buddie,

I will be travelling to Australia soon. I will be expected to capture both city scape and nature (kangaroos, koalas, sunset, sunrise & waterfalls).

I will be bringing along these equipments:
    500D with 18-200mm travel lens
    Tripod

I long wanted to buy an external flash. Is bring a flash necessary for travel? I have always been using my built in flash with a diffuser.

Do I need to bring/buy any filters? I read that it is necessary to have ND filter for capture of waterfalls.

What other filters should I buy for my trip?

I saw numbers/ codes accompanying filters on sale in the forum and not sure what some numbers meant. I know ND2 (down by 2 stops).

What about CPL? (anyone will do?)

Default Re: Help on travel

1st off, i have to say im a minimalist. I bring as few items as possible when im overseas.
    Flash wise should be sufficient unless yr subject is kinda far. Otherwise, get a small cheapo flash. Reason: break,malfunction,lost, also not so heart pain.
    Personally, CPL is a must have because i take scenery, which serves 2 function: as an ND and reduce reflections. Not as perfect as an ND/GND but hey, less items = less worries. When all else fails, shoot 1st, PP later, cauz a bad shot is better then no shot at all.

My 2 cents
    Last edited by BaneMKII; 17th February 2011 at 05:08 PM.
    Insert Ego Here

You use CPL to take scenery? So the water becomes clear and the sky more blue? Am I right?

I am using a 18-200mm lens which is 72mm dia. So i need to buy a 72mm filter to fit in. Are there those which can be used for all types of lens (ie different diameters)

Quote Originally Posted by skysunsandsea View Post
    You use CPL to take scenery? So the water becomes clear and the sky more blue? Am I right?

I am using a 18-200mm lens which is 72mm dia. So i need to buy a 72mm filter to fit in. Are there those which can be used for all types of lens (ie different diameters)
    Simple answer, yes.
    Not so simple answer, no. This is dependent on the angle and light reflected off. Need to google it. Hard to explain.

As for filter thread, I'd personally get a 77mm and several rings so my 77mm can fit any lens that is 77mm and below.
    Insert Ego Here

CPL is good to bring along if you have it, or you can use exposure blend or HDR merge to take landscape.
    Bring along a good low light prime lens too, for shooting at the later part of the day.
    Flash is unnecessary, just bump your ISO up and use a smaller f number.
    ND filters are good, cause they allow you to shoot at a long exposure during the day, making the water looks ultra smooth, works great with waterfall.

Light is good, you are there for a holiday, so you wouldnt want to curse and swear when you are carrying a whole load of heavy camera gears.

Enjoy your trip!
    Visit me on Flickr!

Thank you.

Exposure blend? HDR merge? Ok i haven read about that...

May I also ask, I have read about bracketing. 3 shots are taken with 3 different exposure right? I am using a 500D. How to set it to do that?

Thank you.

Exposure blend? HDR merge? Ok i haven read about that...

May I also ask, I have read about bracketing. 3 shots are taken with 3 different exposure right? I am using a 500D. How to set it to do that?
    It's in your camera manual.

Read this link about landscape photography and some of the things that you need and can do.

http://www.great-landscape-photograp...aphy-tips.html

Have fun

TS: most of you answers come from the fact that you haven't spend much time with your camera manual and some websites about the basics of landscape photography. Just reading carefully will bring you half of your answers.
    Regarding flash: Unless you are aiming for some special effects in the foreground I don't see any need for that. You cannot illuminate a landscape with a flash. If the light is limited get a tripod and exposure as long as necessary with low ISO. Luckily most landscape are quite stationary.
    ND / GND / CPL are not 'filter for water fall' or 'filter for reflections', that would be too simplistic. Filters reduce / change the amount of light passing through. What you do with that effect is entirely up to you. There is no "scene x needs filter y" or even "scene a needs camera settings b".
    Something to read: Camera Lens Filters
    EOS

Thank you for quick answer. Have been using my cam with 50mm for taking my child pic. I think i should read more on landscape! Hope i can learn as much before my trip.

Dear CS buddie,

I will be travelling to Australia soon. I will be expected to capture both city scape and nature (kangaroos, koalas, sunset, sunrise & waterfalls).

Tripod

I long wanted to buy an external flash. Is bring a flash necessary for travel? I have always been using my built in flash with a diffuser.

Do I need to bring/buy any filters? I read that it is necessary to have ND filter for capture of waterfalls.

I saw numbers/ codes accompanying filters on sale in the forum and not sure what some numbers meant. I know ND2 (down by 2 stops).

FYI, ND 2 is cut the light down by ONE stop, not two stops.

ND 4 is two stops
    ND 8 is three stops
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks!

If i use f5.6 to take a landscape or night scene, wont some parts of the pics not be in focus? Or should i just use f22 to let whole picture be focus. When i watch utube, there are tutorials which uses f5.6 to take night scene.

If i use f5.6 to take a landscape or night scene, wont some parts of the pics not be in focus? Or should i just use f22 to let whole picture be focus. When i watch utube, there are tutorials which uses f5.6 to take night scene.
    First: there are no magic settings that can somehow work regardless what the conditions are.
    Please read about Depth of Field and the factors involved: focal length, distance, aperture. Secondly, f/22 invites diffraction which will soften the image again. For APS-C sensors f/11 or max f/16 is recommended.
    Understanding Depth of Field
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by skysunsandsea
    Dear CS buddie,

Tripod

Hi, to take good photographs, the photographer needs good knowledge in the form of technique and composition. For the former, it is in my opinion, best if you read up and try for yourself. A good book that you can pick up FOC from the national library is Michael Freeman's DSLR handbook. It has all the information you have asked about and more, and is tailored to educate, as opposed to some random snippets and scribblings being posted here. Cheers.

As suggested by some. Get familiar with your camera above all else.
    On the other stuff :

Filters : GND (for landscapes with large dynamic range beyond your camera capability if not use HDR); ND4 or 8 (generally for flowing water, if your camera has multi exposure then that is a workaround to using the filter at a push) ; CPL (for bluer skies; cut of glare and reflection; stop down 1 to 2 stops light if need be)

Flash : Depends. If you take portraits of your loved ones on vacation, it can come in handy. Generally not a must in most cases.

I suggest you read up about filter usage before you buy. Practice with them if possible, before going.

After reading up, remember to practice with the techniques learnt locally (or learning to use whatever accessory u may end up buying) before attempting to shoot there

Ryan

Thanks everyone!

I checked out prices on cpl and nd filters. Some are so wide ranged, probably based on quality and type.

Can anyone advice me on a good cpl filter with reasonable price for a beginner?

I see some cpl filter at $100 plus to $200 which sounds expensive to me.

How about brand and type of nd filters (2,4&8) to buy for a start?

I intend to buy 72mm cpl for my 18-200 travel lens so no need to step up.

Off topic but don't forget your cleaning kit.
    Canon 550D - EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

no flash needed for sunset, sunrise & waterfalls, and please dun use flash on animal. if its for fill light of your family you can just use your built-in flash.

if its a family trip, travel light as you need to take care of your kids and stuff as well. dun want them to wait too long when you spend too much time shooting waterfalls. the trip should be fun for them too!
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10