Thread: CPL filter

Default CPL filter

I have the tamron 17-50 non vc. Would using that to take landscape be more ideal than using my 18-200 kit lens? As i don have a CPL yet so deciding which thread size CPL to get. or should i just get 72mm thread CPL and do a step-up if i want to? Kinda redundant question but i just hope for advisable answers.

Default Re: CPL filter

Anything wider than 24mm (35mm equivalent) will make some part of the sky appear darker than others. You'll be okay if you're using a APS-C sensor with the 17mm-50mm

http://www.great-landscape-photograp...ng-filter.html
    Last edited by Diavonex; 17th February 2011 at 04:28 PM.

I'll prolly get a 77mm thread just incase you get another lens. E.g:16-35mm.
    That way, you save $ by just getting a ring instead of another CPL.
    Insert Ego Here

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    I have the tamron 17-50 non vc. Would using that to take landscape be more ideal than using my 18-200 kit lens? As i don have a CPL yet so deciding which thread size CPL to get. or should i just get 72mm thread CPL and do a step-up if i want to? Kinda redundant question but i just hope for advisable answers.
    I will get a bigger size and step up like you said, you can use it with both lenses if you get a bigger size.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86

I will get a bigger size and step up like you said, you can use it with both lenses if you get a bigger size.
    Good move, but test first if you can still use a lens hood with the step up ring attached.

stepping up is always better than stepping down in most cases.
    Visit me on Flickr!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    Good move, but test first if you can still use a lens hood with the step up ring attached.
    why do you still wan to use a lens hood when u are using CPL filter? how do u turn the filter then?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    why do you still wan to use a lens hood when u are using CPL filter? how do u turn the filter then?
    With your fingers? Are you a 7-year-old kid who can't find your way around things? It's not very hard to turn the filter with the hood on considering how shallow the hood is on UWA lenses, you know.

If flaring is an issue then I don't see why anyone would have a reason at all to not use a lens hood. It's always best to keep options open rather than stumbling like a fool when you find yourself stumped.

Blog Entries

In this regard, Pentax users have it easy...

From http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=850

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    In this regard, Pentax users have it easy...

From http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=850
    Yea, my kid bro uses Pentax and I liked what they did to their lens hood. Simple yet effective.

You don't need a lens hood because you'll shooting at right angle to the sun when using CPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex

You don't need a lens hood because you'll shooting at right angle to the sun when using CPL.
    Hi bro. For me I only use CPL to cut reflection from the water so it doesn't really matter where the sun is positioned.

I've found myself countless times shooting towards the sun while doing seascapes and flaring can be quite a bugger. The lens hood has helped me in those situations.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a must to have a lens hood on. We all have different approaches. If TS finds that my advice is helpful then that's good. If TS finds that others is then that's fine as well. Either way, no advice given is wrong.

With your fingers? Are you a 7-year-old kid who can't find your way around things? It's not very hard to turn the filter with the hood on considering how shallow the hood is on UWA lenses, you know.

If flaring is an issue then I don't see why anyone would have a reason at all to not use a lens hood. It's always best to keep options open rather than stumbling like a fool when you find yourself stumped.

then ur whole hand will be blocking the lens, and u can see thru the viewfinder to see the maximum effect of the CPL, whats the point?

Hi bro. For me I only use CPL to cut reflection from the water so it doesn't really matter where the sun is positioned.

I've found myself countless times shooting towards the sun while doing seascapes and flaring can be quite a bugger. The lens hood has helped me in those situations.

Anyway, I'm not saying it's a must to have a lens hood on. We all have different approaches. If TS finds that my advice is helpful then that's good. If TS finds that others is then that's fine as well. Either way, no advice given is wrong.
    A CPL will not reduce reflection from the water if you point the lens towards the direction of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    then ur whole hand will be blocking the lens, and u can see thru the viewfinder to see the maximum effect of the CPL, whats the point?
    I don't know about you bro but I can rotate my CPL easily with just my fingers. I nudge my fingers in the grooves of the petal hood and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex

A CPL will not reduce reflection from the water if you point the lens towards the direction of the sun.
    You seem to be right. I'm reading up on it now. Good thing you brought this up. Thanks.

You seem to be right. I'm reading up on it now. Good thing you brought this up. Thanks.
    You are welcome