Thread: Lingerie ad woes

Default Re: Lingerie ad woes

Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    it's worth it!!
    human beings are the evilest animals on earth

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    human beings are the evilest animals on earth
    It's true... come come, lets save earth... lets all commit seppuku... but you first okay? Lighten up bro..

The VERY LEAST we can do is to stop hating each other... Which is also often VERY difficult
    thing to do...

Here's another OT... I've never heard of a hermit being competitive against another hermit... Is our being together-ness creates a strange force that's unbeneficial to earth?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    It's true... come come, lets save earth... lets all commit seppuku... but you first okay? Lighten up bro..
    i is a gentlemans. i letch you go first

ok ok too much OT

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    But if you are one of those who dont mind if your mothers/wives/daughters/sisters are being sexually exploited, I respect your stand.
    I am offended by your brainless comment above, which is a personal attack.
    I would expect an apology here.
    always the Light, .... always.

The VERY LEAST we can do is to stop hating each other... Which is also often VERY difficult
    thing to do...

Here's another OT... I've never heard of a hermit being competitive against another hermit... Is our being together-ness creates a strange force that's unbeneficial to earth?
    Oi! Ur OT really way off sia! If not for my busyness now, I'd have scrutinised every single OT and warn whoever OT-ing excessively.
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    Oi! Ur OT really way off sia! If not for my busyness now, I'd have scrutinised every single OT and warn whoever OT-ing excessively.
    kriegs always OTs.

always.

and always.

Children children.... Let's all be friends...

Come, hold hands and sing Kumbaya with me...

Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    I am offended by your brainless comment above, which is a personal attack.
    I would expect an apology here.
    I read and re-read the relevant postings and I cannot see how I offended you . . so please elaborate. Hint : read the way my sentence was constructed. In my profession, I will never allow myself to be in a position where I am sued for libel.

Having said that, I now take umbrage at your personal attack on me for deeming my opinion "brainless". Which part is "brainless"? Taking a stand against exploitation or ?
    Herein, I would LIKE TO demand an apology but, being a realist, I shall desist.
    Why? Because all throughout, I accepted that there will be others with their own views and I am just stating mine.
    So, looking at it objectively, you have just committed an act that you abhor . . do not throw stones if you are living in a glass house. Do not do unto others what you do not want done unto you.

Just to summarise, simply: You do NOT get a personal apology from me . . yet.

I went to the beginning of this thread and read thus:

I saw a big lingerie advertisement near a bus stop along Pasir Ris Drive 1. It shows frontal view of a bigger-than-life semi-nude model, wearing only panties, her bare chest covered by her arms.

It is strategically located where there is good human traffic - at the bus stop, the traffic light and opposite a mall. It is a picture that is hard to miss.

So for the purposes of this 'discussion' here, please stick to the point and refrain from pointing fingers. We must learn to agree to disagree and argue in a factual manner in a non- emotional manner and without hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    great point of view..
    i think this doesn't count as sexual exploitation of women.. it does not show any nudity.. it is done carefully and artistically.. the model got paid, how is that counted as exploitation?

i got a feeling someone will make noise about mannequin in the future, because it depicts the woman body and thus considered exploitation.. sigh..

be mature in your thinking.. no one, including your gf, wives, moms, grandma, etc etc, will complain if the guys don't look at it as a sex symbol (read: ogle and drooling all over) but just take it easy, looking at it as an art and advertising..

sometimes, people need to be more relaxed in their thinking.. don't be too fanatic..

i am anti exploitation of women, but i don't see any part of this ad is exploiting them..
    why no one is complaining about the sex shops along orchard, ah? more BOYS (18 and BELOW) are ogling in front of the shops rather than just looking at the ad.. and they are advertising the shops with provocative depictions of women.. the ad is at least 2x larger, with "toys" in front of the shops..

why hasn't anyone making a lot of noise about that, instead making a lot of negative comments about ad that is carefully done and doesn't have any provocative poses in it?

So, please correct me if I understood you wrongly but if, say, a paedophile sought out a 12 year old girl from a poor family in Cambodia, have sex with her and then paid her, that is NOT exploitation because she was paid? Now this discussion is out of the point of this topic but I am merely expressing my personal comment to your comment.
    Having said that, I beseech some of you to, please, read the thread and stay on course.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Bro, i think you are living in a static world. Exactly like looking thru a glass eye!
    Actually re-reading this gave me the impression that you have already judged me as wrong for 'living in a static world' and looking thru a glass eye' - a negative connotation because you disagree with my opinion. So therefore, it would be interesting if you can elaborate in case I misunderstood you wrongly and then demand a personal apology from you for making a personal attack on me.
    However, I think, actually you probably do NOT really understand what you said! (with regards to 'static world' and 'glasseye')
    So, really you might have to apologise for misunderstanding me in the first place.
    By the way, "glasseye" in the context of photography means something and this is a photography forum. My glass eye and all glass eyes will not lie unless one chooses to manipulate the end result. See, you learnt something from me, didnt you?

So, please correct me if I understood you wrongly but if, say, a paedophile sought out a 12 year old girl from a poor family in Cambodia, have sex with her and then paid her, that is NOT exploitation because she was paid? Now this discussion is out of the point of this topic but I am merely expressing my personal comment to your comment.
    Having said that, I beseech some of you to, please, read the thread and stay on course.
    i was just commenting on others' view about it being exploitative..
    to exploit means to use something in an unjust or cruel manner, which does not fall into this category because the model is not treated in an unjust manner nor mistreated..
    but in the case of a pedophile, we know that it is against the law..
    (correct me, but iirc, law suppose to lead to just, right?)

i wasn't just emphasizing the part that she got paid out of it, but the whole sentence.. maybe i should put dots instead of a coma after that statement..

and yes, i also very much aware that if someone got paid, doesn't necessarily mean that he/she is not exploited..

you have to know the meaning of exploit first, and put it in the context of the topic.. in this case (i said again, in this case) IMO, it doesn't count as exploiting women..

i believe it is still within the topic, since someone mentioned about the ad exploiting women..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    kriegs always OTs.

always.

and always.
    You forgot "Forever and ever..."

But really... that's a bit too far fetched... "Sometimes", "often" or "a few times" would have been more accurately put.

Maybe I OT much here... but EVERY POST and EVERY THREAD on CS, and in ALL my ENTIRE life? "Always" is always too much...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th February 2011 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    OT meh? Lemme paint a bigger picture...

When humans are together..it often leads to a competitive spirit, in some ways or another - one strives to be better than the other... Sibblings compete, families compete, clans and friendship circles compete, societies compete, nations compete...

Competition leads to exploitations... when some cannot exploit the "proper" channels, they look for ways to exploit other channels...

Sexual exploitation is a by-product of all that exploitation...

Which leads to all other sexual exploitations imaginable...

OT? Yeah, I pretty much gone OT...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th February 2011 at 08:48 AM.

With regards to double standards... to some degree we are all full of it...

If you don't think you have double standards, reflect deeply, soul searching helps... (eg. it's easy to condemn people you hardly know, but when it comes to inner circles, you'll choose to be very careful about openly condemning your peers, knowing that sometimes it may lead to breaking up of a circle)

Anyone who thinks that he or she doesn't have double standards, raise your hands...

I won't... It's not that I do not wish to be of a "single" standard... it's a big challenge and we all strive for it..
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th February 2011 at 09:25 AM.

"As such advertisements are easily accessible to children and teenagers, how can parents protect their young children and teenagers from being exposed to such images? Where does one draw the line?"

By addressing the need for "proper" parenting skills (explaining why such ads are appearing, why people use vulgarities, etc), we hope to instill proper "thoughts" and "behaviour" into our kids, as there is NO way, we can TOTALLY prevent our kids from being exposed to these ads. Even if the government tries to intervene... such things will still slip through, in one form or another...

Frankly, by the time the kids see such ads, most of them would already have their minds corrupted by their peers/internet/other paraphernalia... Which is why maybe regulations have been a bit relaxed because of this...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th February 2011 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bayusuputra View Post
    i was just commenting on others' view about it being exploitative..
    to exploit means to use something in an unjust or cruel manner, which does not fall into this category because the model is not treated in an unjust manner nor mistreated..
    but in the case of a pedophile, we know that it is against the law..
    (correct me, but iirc, law suppose to lead to just, right?)

you have to know the meaning of exploit first, and put it in the context of the topic.. in this case (i said again, in this case) IMO, it doesn't count as exploiting women..

i believe it is still within the topic, since someone mentioned about the ad exploiting women..

I summise that you come from Indonesia where there is also "law" but does law necessarily lead to "just", especially now that you are in Singapore and experiencing our 'law' environment? Well, we shall not talk politics nor get out of point here and I am not saying anything about the law in other countries.

Trust me, I know the meaning of 'exploit' very very well, thank you. And, no, it does not only mean "to use something in an unjust or cruel manner". I am not going to add further to this because I am not your English teacher.

OT meh? Lemme paint a bigger picture...

When humans are together..it often leads to a competitive spirit, in some ways or another - one strives to be better than the other... Sibblings compete, families compete, clans and friendship circles compete, societies compete, nations compete...

Competition leads to exploitations... when some cannot exploit the "proper" channels, they look for ways to exploit other channels...
    Sexual exploitation is a by-product of all that exploitation...

Which leads to all other sexual exploitations imaginable...
    OT? Yeah, I pretty much gone OT...
    Not just OT but I think you are very confused about the meaning of competition and exploitation. Why should competition lead to exploitation? If someone strives to be better, he will have to work harder, work smarter, etc. If he 'competes' by 'looking for ways to exploit other channels', you used the word 'exploit', then it is NOT competition, it is cheating. A sportsman who tries to run faster by taking drugs .. is that competition or?
    Only people who cannot keep up, who cannot match up to the competition and are less-than-honest, will exploit to win the competition.

Not just OT but I think you are very confused about the meaning of competition and exploitation. Why should competition lead to exploitation? If someone strives to be better, he will have to work harder, work smarter, etc. If he 'competes' by 'looking for ways to exploit other channels', you used the word 'exploit', then it is NOT competition, it is cheating. A sportsman who tries to run faster by taking drugs .. is that competition or?
    Only people who cannot keep up, who cannot match up to the competition and are less-than-honest, will exploit to win the competition.
    Bingo... Fair and just competition is always what we want, but more often it doesn't happen the way we want... and no matter how one wants to prevent that from happening, it is still happening... sad to say, that's the reality... Which is why I say... competition will often lead to exploitations... there can be THAT many rich people in the world... and THAT many FIRSTs in everything... but the rest will "DIE" trying to get there... by hook or by "crook"...

Btw... I'm refering to competition from the perspective of the entire human race, not by certain individuals... Let me make this one clear... NOT everyone will play by the rules...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 18th February 2011 at 10:19 AM.

Some of you may think I am crazy, argumentative or whatever but since this is a discussion forum, I must rebutt any comments against mine if I dont agree. But that does not mean I do not respect your opinions . . we live in a society where different views result in an ever changing world or else we will be in a static environment . . now where did I hear that word 'static'? And because of different views, different values, different education levels, different moral standards, different cultures -we have all sorts of societies. Whether it is a just society or unjust society, it is subjective.
    In any case, I am not here to teach English or preach morals to anyone - just stating my views. And I shall not comment further as I have pretty much said what I want on the main topic.
    And I thank all of you for your contributions here because, by discussing this topic here, actually I learnt a lot too. I respect your opinions but that does not necessarily mean I agree with you and there is nothing wrong with having a different view. It has been fun.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 47891011 LastLast