Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lingerie ad woes

Default Re: Lingerie ad woes

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    Once again, there goes the neighbourhood...
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post

i think they should also show some hamsup guys in sexy boxers or g-strings to help advertise menwears, then the females will also have a 'brighten' minds mah
    I agree!!!!
    Canon 550D /18-135/50 1.8/75-300 USM III/10-22/70-200 f2.8L IS II/

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    To be a decent person in this world, we have to STOP exploiting women, stop exploiting the weak and stop cheating the lesser-educated.
    I feel very strongly about this because in our society, many times, I see the poor who end up being exploited. They buy things from C****S on hire-purchse and end up paying much more in the end but the rich can get financing for 1%!!!
    In many countries, kids are forced into prostitution.
    So using sex to sell anything is NOT acceptable in my language.
    Bro, i think you are living in a static world. Exactly like looking thru a glass eye!
    always the Light, .... always.

What do you mean when you say you are "quite liberal"?

Are you saying you dont mind seeing those sexy ads but you will not allow your own mothers/wives/sisters/daughters do it?

Being liberal does not mean condoning sexual exploitation of women.
    If they do, i have nothing to say as long as it's their choice and is comfortable with it.

However, I am also against sexual exploitation of women de.

"There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Mates, seriously this is a lingerie ad... for a company selling lingerie... how else would you want them to sell and project' their products. Picture them in Ladies wearing thick shirts and jeans?? For me, as long as its artistically done, with the model consent and no malicious content... i dont see any problem. I'm more curious to see this ad, might go there one of these days, take pics and post here...
    Canon 550D /18-135/50 1.8/75-300 USM III/10-22/70-200 f2.8L IS II/

Quote Originally Posted by Turboredbean View Post
    Mates, seriously this is a lingerie ad... for a company selling lingerie... how else would you want them to sell and project' their products. Picture them in Ladies wearing thick shirts and jeans?? For me, as long as its artistically done, with the model consent and no malicious content... i dont see any problem. I'm more curious to see this ad, might go there one of these days, take pics and post here...

i am going to shoot and post them here too
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

ok to digress a little, undergarments used to be just for the sake of supporting making the naughty bits "perk up"

now, in this day and age, lingerie has another meaning. it's used for fashion as well. how else do you sell fashion? hiding it under a cloak? word of mouth?

honestly, i come from a business background. to be practical, it makes perfect sense to have lingerie ads the way they are.

like i've mentioned before, (and no offense) prudes won't be able to take it. might as well tell the lingerie manufacturers to close shop and stop selling

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    ok to digress a little, undergarments used to be just for the sake of supporting making the naughty bits "perk up"

now, in this day and age, lingerie has another meaning. it's used for fashion as well. how else do you sell fashion? hiding it under a cloak? word of mouth?

honestly, i come from a business background. to be practical, it makes perfect sense to have lingerie ads the way they are.

like i've mentioned before, (and no offense) prudes won't be able to take it. might as well tell the lingerie manufacturers to close shop and stop selling
    Victoria's Secret

http://www.victoriassecret.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Bro, i think you are living in a static world. Exactly like looking thru a glass eye!
    You are entitled to your opinion but I try to be a decent person, with a fear of God, without exploiting my fellow human beings, without exploiting women.
    Static? An ever changing world means changing for the better.
    Would you like to live in a hut with the drain as your toilet? No, you have moved forward.
    But does that mean in today's context, women CAN be exploited?
    Because I am NOt living in a static world, I have managed to get an education, think deeper, become more aware of society . . .

"Glass Eye" does not mean that, so you are quoting out of context.

But if you are one of those who dont mind if your mothers/wives/daughters/sisters are being sexually exploited, I respect your stand.

Disagree. There is a time and place.
    If the ad is in a women's magazine, it is acceptable.

There is a time and occasion and location. We are talking about a billboard selling lingerie put up in a public place in full view of all and sundry. . unless I understood wrongly.
    I wont argue if such ads are in a women's magazine.

Nothing to do with being 'prude' - it is basic respect for others and the non-exploitation of women who are commonly known as 'the weaker sex'.

If you are in the business of selling lingerie and you believe this is THE ONLY way to advertise, then you are destined for failure sooner or later.

bro i understand that you might have your views. but these days, it's not only the women who buy lingerie. men also buy it for their wives (and i don't want to explore the purpose behind the purchase).

no doubt religion plays a part in your views, but do understand that not everyone follows the same school of thought.

today's world is corrupt no doubt, but it's better not to impose your views. you can be a shining example. it's up to people to follow. but forcing others to take your viewpoint will only anger most.

You are entitled to your opinion but I try to be a decent person, with a fear of God, without exploiting my fellow human beings, without exploiting women.
    Static? An ever changing world means changing for the better.
    Would you like to live in a hut with the drain as your toilet? No, you have moved forward.
    But does that mean in today's context, women CAN be exploited?
    Because I am NOt living in a static world, I have managed to get an education, think deeper, become more aware of society . . .

"Glass Eye" does not mean that, so you are quoting out of context.

But if you are one of those who dont mind if your mothers/wives/daughters/sisters are being sexually exploited, I respect your stand.
    Lol... you sounds like you're from the Taliban.

This thread is getting personal. Happy seller happy buyer. Can't stop it, live with it

Whoa, this debate is interesting, and I have not yet even expressed my views. Looks like it is quite clear from here the 2 divided opinions.

Honestly, I wouldn't have thought twice about the ad until I hear for myself how men actually ogle at them. Maybe I have been so attuned to such ads coz I'm a lady myself and to me, its just selling a brand name. Maybe this time, the board of censorship for advertisements gave them the green light as it does not depict nudity, though it definitely is very suggestive.

Have you guys ever watched "American's Next Top Model"? Do you know that although such girls appear to be shallow and bimbotic, there were so many shoots that got many of them breaking down, being awkward, the level you go thru just to sell a product... That's your sexual exploitation there. The pain behind the pictures one wouldn't know of.

But everyone here has a point. Glasseye refuses to support any products marketed through sexual exploitation, whereas kei has a more liberal opinion that Sg should be more open to such provocative ads that are everywhere in the world. The problem here, is the product itself. How do you promote lingerie without provoking any sexual innuendo when lingerie itself is sthg related to sex/sexuality empowerment? Pls be reminded that women do not necessarily wear lingerie for men but for comfort as well. Maybe what the ad shd sell is comfort? No?

But guys, chill pls!!! I will close this nonetheless interesting thread if it gets out of hand!
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Quote Originally Posted by SnagIt View Post
    This thread is getting personal. Happy seller happy buyer. Can't stop it, live with it
    lol this isn't really about selling/buying, it's about the ad.

Personally, as long as the ad doesn't show the model in a provocative pose (which is sometimes subjective), there is nothing wrong with putting it anywhere. If the ad shows a model in a non-provocative pose, while showing some skin, it shows the beauty of the model which is used to promote the product. That is fine. However, if the ad shows the model in a provocative pose, then the ad is depicting the model as a sex object, and has a different meaning and target audience.

For this, I have to agree. Women buy mags in general, thus will appeal to the target audience. Though it seems that this ad is asking the men to buy it for their gfs/wives/mistresses?
    Canon EOS 500D | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc
    and the Kop sings, "You'll never walk alone"

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    But everyone here has a point. Glasseye refuses to support any products marketed through sexual exploitation, whereas kei has a more liberal opinion that Sg should be more open to such provocative ads that are everywhere in the world. The problem here, is the product itself. How do you promote lingerie without provoking any sexual innuendo when lingerie itself is sthg related to sex/sexuality empowerment? Pls be reminded that women do not necessarily wear lingerie for men but for comfort as well. Maybe what the ad shd sell is comfort? No?
    LOL i'm not liberal to the point where there should be lingerie ads all over the place. looking at the triumph ads vs agent provocateur ads, you'll see a difference.

not trying to impose any view. (by the way i am a Christian) and against sexual exploitation, but i'm also practical in the sense that it's a business.

btw: the ads are actually mainly targeting men to buy it for their wives/girlfriends

LOL i'm not liberal to the point where there should be lingerie ads all over the place. looking at the triumph ads vs agent provocateur ads, you'll see a difference.

not trying to impose any view. (by the way i am a Christian) and against sexual exploitation, but i'm also practical in the sense that it's a business.

btw: the ads are actually mainly targeting men to buy it for their wives/girlfriends
    I am a Catholic but have not been to church for more than 20 years. I'm more like an agnostic ... Lol

it's good to keep an open mind de

Unless the men know what sizes their wives/girlfriends wear, otherwise it will be quite embarrassing for them ... LOL

Usually it is the wives/girlfriends who will mostly buy themselves becoz they will know whether they are comfortable in them or not, and to surprise their guys to "brighten" up their days
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 17th February 2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Lol... you sounds like you're from the Taliban.

Wrong, over there they stone the women!

It was not something new and it won't be the last, so I guess the ads was probably posted at the wrong place at the wrong time...imagin if this is posted in a shopping mall or in Orchard road...then it won't be drawing such a big reaction

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast