Thread: Powershot G2 manual focus doesnt work?

Unhappy Powershot G2 manual focus doesnt work?

I'm having a very hard time prefocusing the camera on a wall or something at night.

So i'm trying to use the manual focus. But it doesnt work? I've read the manual and it says hold down the MF button, then adjust the indicator to the aproximate distance, then shoot.

So what i do is hold down the MF button, move the indicator to the aproximate distance of the subject, let go of the mf button, then shoot. But the image still comes out not focused properly!

Am i doing soemthing wrong? i've tried to shoot while holding down the MF button also but it's still the same results. I set the manual focus to 5 metres and i shoot seomthing 5 metres away and it's still blur. what gives? i'm out of ideas. help!

Quote Originally Posted by airmj
    I'm having a very hard time prefocusing the camera on a wall or something at night.

So i'm trying to use the manual focus. But it doesnt work? I've read the manual and it says hold down the MF button, then adjust the indicator to the aproximate distance, then shoot.

So what i do is hold down the MF button, move the indicator to the aproximate distance of the subject, let go of the mf button, then shoot. But the image still comes out not focused properly!

Am i doing soemthing wrong? i've tried to shoot while holding down the MF button also but it's still the same results. I set the manual focus to 5 metres and i shoot seomthing 5 metres away and it's still blur. what gives? i'm out of ideas. help!

when you press the MF button and focus using the 4-way control pad, does the centre lcd area magnify?

its very hard to MF on the G2 (i'm sure the other G series as well looking at reviews)

one way is to get an external speedlite to throw a near infra red pattern for the camera to focus on auto. the other way is reply on auto with the lamp on your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    when you press the MF button and focus using the 4-way control pad, does the centre lcd area magnify?

its very hard to MF on the G2 (i'm sure the other G series as well looking at reviews)

one way is to get an external speedlite to throw a near infra red pattern for the camera to focus on auto. the other way is reply on auto with the lamp on your camera.
    yes the centre lcd area does magnify.

i don't have any other accessories so i can't do the other thing u suggested. About the lamp on my camera it's too dim to focus on something say 4-5 metres away.