Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to cs... Qn on WB

Default New to cs... Qn on WB

Hi, I shoot in RAW and set the white balance as Daylight. However when I opened it on Photoshop elements v8 the color temp came out as 5100 (as shot). Shouldn't it be 5500 (daylight)?

Did I set something wrongly?

Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11
    Hi, I shoot in RAW and set the white balance as Daylight. However when I opened it on Photoshop elements v8 the color temp came out as 5100 (as shot). Shouldn't it be 5500 (daylight)?

Where did you get 5500K from?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Where did you get 5500K from?
    I read somewhere that daylight is 5500k. And also ps elements sets daylight as 5500. But why oh why are my shots coming out as 5100 even when I set wb as daylight??

Default Re: New to cs... Qn on WB

Quote Originally Posted by mengwei11 View Post
    I read somewhere that daylight is 5500k. And also ps elements sets daylight as 5500. But why oh why are my shots coming out as 5100 even when I set wb as daylight??
    so based on the source of information that you read, daylight at say... 730 in the morning is the same colour temperature as daylight at 12noon? What if the sky is slightly cloudy? Hazy perhaps?

(Am not trying to be sarcastic. Trying to get you thinking here. To question the information that is given to you)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    so based on the source of information that you read, daylight at say... 730 in the morning is the same colour temperature as daylight at 12noon?

(Am not trying to be sarcastic. Trying to get you thinking here. To question the information that is given to you)
    Hmmm, I donno. When u set daylight as ur wb on your camera, I thought it's a constant 5500k, you mean it changes? Man, I think I'm missing something major here

Hmmm, I donno. When u set daylight as ur wb on your camera, I thought it's a constant 5500k, you mean it changes? Man, I think I'm missing something major here
    Let me try to explain this with my limited knowledge. When u set daylight wb, you are sort of compensating for the wb with references to the scene. Diff light conditions in different time of the day will result in diff value.
    Alpha and Omega

Lesson learned: There is no magic formula.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas

Let me try to explain this with my limited knowledge. When u set daylight wb, you are sort of compensating for the wb with references to the scene. Diff light conditions in different time of the day will result in diff value.
    I see! Thanks!

Rather than giving cryptic, mystical questions that point you on a road to nowhere, here's a quick answer to try to find out what is going on, because what you post here is not exactly quite clear.

From what I can read, you set WB as Daylight in your camera, but somehow your Photoshop Elements V8 is telling you that the color temperature in Kelvin was 5100.

Are you trying to say here that what you see in Elements (I haven't used Elements before, so I took the liberty of trying to find out what RAW development in Elements looks like); i.e. something like this:

(taken from Adobe website)

Under the "White Balance", it is selected as "As shot" and the Kelvin below is stated as 5100? It could be that your camera presets Daylight WB as 5100. The "Daylight WB" is usually a preset that does not shift based on different scenes, I think you have been confused by some of the previous replies, which were not quite as clear as they should have been. Kelvin will only shift when you're using Auto WB, because there the camera tries to decide what is right for the scene. Preset WB is fixed, however. I'm quite sure it doesn't shift around - every scene taken with "Daylight" WB preset should come out with 5100 K on your camera then.

As stated earlier, the "real" WB in daylight can range from 5000K to 6500K in clear skies (quoted from Cambridge in Color once again).

You might want to read up a bit more on WB, link provided below. Cheers, and hope this helped.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm
    Last edited by edutilos-; 16th February 2011 at 11:35 PM.

The CCT (correlated color temperature) for daylight ranges from about 5000 to 6000k, from direct sunlight to overcast sky. When u set your cam to daylight, it probably assumed that you were shooting in direct sunlight condition. At 5500k and thereabout, it would be the WB setting for flash photography or well lit scene. In any case, you got to take test shots at different settings to find the one rendering the actual scene. BTW, setting it to Auto does not work all the time.
    Last edited by kkgoxplore; 16th February 2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Wrong word used.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

Rather than giving cryptic, mystical questions that point you on a road to nowhere, here's a quick answer to try to find out what is going on, because what you post here is not exactly quite clear.

From what I can read, you set WB as Daylight in your camera, but somehow your Photoshop Elements V8 is telling you that the color temperature in Kelvin was 5100.

Are you trying to say here that what you see in Elements (I haven't used Elements before, so I took the liberty of trying to find out what RAW development in Elements looks like); i.e. something like this:

(taken from Adobe website)

Under the "White Balance", it is selected as "As shot" and the Kelvin below is stated as 5100? It could be that your camera presets Daylight WB as 5100. The "Daylight WB" is usually a preset that does not shift based on different scenes, I think you have been confused by some of the previous replies, which were not quite as clear as they should have been. Kelvin will only shift when you're using Auto WB.

As stated earlier, the "real" WB in daylight can range from 5000K to 6500K in clear skies (quoted from Cambridge in Color once again).

You might want to read up a bit more on WB, link provided below. Cheers, and hope this helped.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...te-balance.htm

Mo
    Can I just say that today is my first day on cs and your answer is just super solid. U have understood my problem perfectly. And u were right, some previous answers did confuse me. Is there anyway to change your camera preset of daylight into a different k?

Can I just say that today is my first day on cs and your answer is just super solid. U have understood my problem perfectly. And u were right, some previous answers did confuse me. Is there anyway to change your camera preset of daylight into a different k?
    It depends on your model. Some models (like my Pentax K-r), you can tend to shift a bit of the balance between Green/Magenta and Blue/Amber. That isn't a true shift of K though.

I can't remember if my ol' K20D could change the Kelvin presets for Daylight, Shade, etc; but more advanced DSLR models will have memory settings for WB, e.g. an additional setting called say, C1, where you can set Kelvin, if I'm not wrong. For these models, you can usually just set the K directly as well.

What model are you using? You could read through your manual to see if there is such an option, it'd be covered under the White Balance section, I'm sure.

It depends on your model. Some models (like my Pentax K-r), you can tend to shift a bit of the balance between Green/Magenta and Blue/Amber. That isn't a true shift of K though.

I can't remember if my ol' K20D could change the Kelvin presets for Daylight, Shade, etc; but more advanced DSLR models will have memory settings for WB, e.g. an additional setting called say, C1, where you can set Kelvin, if I'm not wrong. For these models, you can usually just set the K directly as well.

What model are you using? You could read through your manual to see if there is such an option, it'd be covered under the White Balance section, I'm sure.
    Canon 50d. Hmmm, not even sure where my manual is. Ha ha

On my 450D, the camera states that Daylight is approximately 5200K, but in ACR it's read consistenly as 4950K ("As Shot") vs 5500K ("Daylight").

You may want to watch this little video on WB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_78rLzrOEI&feature=fvw

Canon 50d. Hmmm, not even sure where my manual is. Ha ha
    50D allows you to set WB Kelvin manually.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2
    On my 450D, the camera states that Daylight is approximately 5200K, but in ACR it's read consistenly as 4950K ("As Shot") vs 5500K ("Daylight").
    Exactly!
    My as shot is 5100k

50D allows you to set WB Kelvin manually.
    It does. But what I was wondering was whether it can change the daylight to 5500 as opposed to 5100.

It does. But what I was wondering was whether it can change the daylight to 5500 as opposed to 5100.
    Online manual - next time, if you lose the manual, can always search, latest models always got people post one.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com...50D-Manual.pdf

Online manual - next time, if you lose the manual, can always search, latest models always got people post one.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com...50D-Manual.pdf
    Wooow tks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast