Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Singapore Budget statement out at 3.30pm on Friday

Default Re: Singapore Budget statement out at 3.30pm on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    More details to be out soon after their "Budget Debate".

Snice the economy is doing so well and they are able to put back the $4billion back to the reserve which they used in the past, can we just have some shares in GIC instead of $600-$800.
    dunno how much it was taken out in the first place

If we increase the productivity of our population from the current 1/3 to the target 2/3, does that means each and everyone of us has to work double hard to earn the same amount of money we get currently?

In fact, they mentioned so much aid for companies, yet our salary still the same... what gives?

$600-$800? Removal of TV licences? I believe all of these are done to aid us in the upcoming inflation, nothing close to being improvement to our lives...

Bah, all these nice words... -_-;;
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Haha look out for the GST jump after the elections and see your wallet getting lighter
    Yes, I think u will be right...

i thought this year budget is the best i have seen so far...not perfect but there is no perfect plan anyway. I will think it is really bad if they give out too much cash incentives or rebates....

the only thing i don't get it is the use of the statement : '' It will cost the Government $xxxx....'' when all they did is just take less from us. I thought they shld phrase it as '' The Governement will take $xxxx Lesser collectively as a nation.''

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    i thought this year budget is the best i have seen so far...not perfect but there is no perfect plan anyway. I will think it is really bad if they give out too much cash incentives or rebates....

the only thing i don't get it is the use of the statement : '' It will cost the Government $xxxx....'' when all they did is just take less from us. I thought they shld phrase it as '' The Governement will take $xxxx Lesser collectively as a nation.''
    That's politics, which would sound better? "I give something to you from me" or "I will take less things from you this time"? Given the coming elections, all the more they want to look as if they are doing something for us.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post

Because not all the revenue comes from individual's tax. A large part of the revenue comes from corporate tax.

Agree...a nice way of ''look good'' speech. This year budget will be perfect if they do not raise the GST after election....althought for now i already think it is quite good cause i can see ppl complaining incentives too little. Hopefully this can hold back the GST. Whatever incentives given will be used up within a month or two..but a GST up will be permanent and up till the next increment. In fact i thought if they don't even give and put more back to reserves will be better but that is if GST and other taxes do not go up and stay constant.

I had friends complaining abt only give 300-400 per child...i told them if you have no 'O' Level passes, i think the sterilization grant still holds...u get 10k...but if you do...remember to use condom next time

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    in my half sleep half awakeness yesterday night during the news , i thought i saw them interviewing a young couple who was lamenting about costs, that their second kid was going to be eligible for preschool soon when the older child was already enrolled into some $ 1200 / month preschool thing. They thumbs up on the budget for helping them defray some costs somewhat

anyone saw that ?
    1200/mth?!? what do they teach there? differential calculus ? quantum physics ?
    Really kiasu parents

is more exp than going to medical sch....hahaha......

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    Really kiasu parents
    Maybe they are training them to come up with the Grand Unification Theory??!

It's really crazy. And scary. Whatever happened to the good old days where kids were kids, played with sand, got dirty, fell, bleed, became stronger, and only went to $6/mth neighborhood kindergarten at 5-6 years old?

We still survived didn't we? And many of us also ended up as people with good characters and secured good jobs right?

Granted, times have changed, we have become more advanced, kids learn earlier, but $1200/mth is man.... jaw dropping? Even a uni education doesn't cost that much a month.

Where does it end? Would you not want the best for your child? If you learn of this $1200/mth school, and you can barely afford it, would you not want to do your best to send your child there? That's where the problem lies.

Parents get stressed up cos they are hard pressed financially (of course, for the rich, no problem), kids get stressed up cos at such a young age, they are already expected to perform well academically.

I dunno what will become of singapore.... So stressful... no wonder many couples don't want to give birth. You not only stress yourselves up, the child becomes stressed up also. And the whole family tumbles together into such stress for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    Really kiasu parents
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Maybe they are training them to come up with the Grand Unification Theory??!

It's really crazy. And scary. Whatever happened to the good old days where kids were kids, played with sand, got dirty, fell, bleed, became stronger, and only went to $6/mth neighborhood kindergarten at 5-6 years old?

We still survived didn't we? And many of us also ended up as people with good characters and secured good jobs right?

Granted, times have changed, we have become more advanced, kids learn earlier, but $1200/mth is man.... jaw dropping? Even a uni education doesn't cost that much a month.

Where does it end? Would you not want the best for your child? If you learn of this $1200/mth school, and you can barely afford it, would you not want to do your best to send your child there? That's where the problem lies.

Parents get stressed up cos they are hard pressed financially (of course, for the rich, no problem), kids get stressed up cos at such a young age, they are already expected to perform well academically.

I dunno what will become of singapore.... So stressful... no wonder many couples don't want to give birth. You not only stress yourselves up, the child becomes stressed up also. And the whole family tumbles together into such stress for many years to come.
    I've seen so many tuition assignments for KINDERGARTEN kids. Would you believe that?!
    I'm a PCW in newbie section. Hi. Welcome! :)

Don't be too happy with these budget bonuses.

These are just goodies and niceties given out before the GE.
    The gahmen is known to take back more than what they give you.

After the GE, an increase of the GST to perhaps 10% and ERP UP, will take back all and even more than what they gave you !

It is prudent for the gahmen to put back the money taken out previously from the reserve. But do they have to put back the full 4 billion dollars this year. Can't they put back 2 billion first and the rest later on ?

Use the extra money to create a more conducive environment for the citizens to marry, get a cheaper first home and have more kids and not incurring a huge financial burden.

The gahmen had done quite well in the economy. It is now time for them to focus on self-renewal and citizens' population growth.

For what use is it to gain a TON of money economically but have no descendents to pass it to.
    Do the gahmen really want to pass it on to the PRs and FTs ??? !!!

in the near future, we will be seeing FT or PR (i.e. diffenent country of birth) converted being brought into the cabinet. rest assured.

Disappointing budget to me.
    The handouts increased by a few hundred $$, that's all. One time painkiller treatment, what happens after the effect wear out and the pain returns, an the myriad of GST, ERP... hikes starts again.
    Nothing to address long-term cost of living, housing, medical fees, public transport fares, rising inflation, road congestion, FT and PR impact on job competition and quality of living.

Long speech ... very tiring watching it!

If you want to put a stop to this, you have the power to vote out these nonsense 10% gst (for the poor). The SDP gave a very good plan to remove GST from basic items. Like many others, there are great plans for the country but too radical for the current government.

Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    Disappointing budget to me.
    The handouts increased by a few hundred $$, that's all. One time painkiller treatment, what happens after the effect wear out and the pain returns, an the myriad of GST, ERP... hikes starts again.
    Nothing to address long-term cost of living, housing, medical fees, public transport fares, rising inflation, road congestion, FT and PR impact on job competition and quality of living.
    Spot on. A lot of emphasis on handouts to pacify Singaporeans, not surprising since we are known to have short term memories and tunnel vision once money is put in front of us.

Blog Entries

unfortunately politics has found its way into this discussion and thus violating the terms of use
    thread closed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123