Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

Default Re: Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Property have been kind to many Singaporeans ... people who are in their 40s and above are most likely sitting pretty. Those who have taken on risks to buy property for rental yield have also been rewarded.

It is the younger generation, people below 30 who are scratching their head. Sure property prices are more expensive now, but also bear in mind that everyone was young once and many who are sitting pretty now have sacrificed "present" consumption to plonk a downpayment on a property to put a roof over their heads. In those days, you still had to beg borrow steal or skimped like crazy to put a down payment on your house.

Exotic honeymoon, elaborate weddings, designer renovation, 42 inch TV .. ya . all that can wait. House ownership more important In the old days, unless you were rich, traveling for holidays was almost non existent. Camera and gadgets were most likely a luxury item. Eating out in restaurants was a treat reserved for month end after payday.

I am not saying that it is easy to buy a house now but rather if the house is important, than that should be a priority and you need to do what it takes in terms of cutting down other expenses to take care of number 1 priority
    I think can see it in cameras, since this is a photography forum. Take for eg, if you have to scrimp and save a couple for months for that new D800, something could be wrong.

That is very different from having 30k in your immediate a/c, and 300k in another backup one (for opportunistic investments like what happened in 2009 Mar, emergency use etc), and then you shell out for a D800 + FX lens for eg. I have 2 colleagues who are still playing shares, they have been in the market for the past 1+ years, and if they had enough to play during 2009 they could have just made the same amount what they have earned the past year in just a couple of weeks in 2009, maybe even just days (I still remember my FRE/FNM/AIG)
    Last edited by 2100; 17th February 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Default Re: Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

Looks like very recently there is also a round of childcare price increase (quite significant). Lets see what the govt has installed in the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by zero o
    I am not saying that it is easy to buy a house now but rather if the house is important, than that should be a priority and you need to do what it takes in terms of cutting down other expenses to take care of number 1 priority
    Good thought on that. People are not making things easier on themselves either

Ryan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123