Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

Default Re: Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

of cos i believe.

singapore is also the 10th most expensive city in the world.
    http://www.worldinterestingfacts.com...the-world.html

to give u an idea of the crazy rate of inflation in singapore, just 7 years ago in 2004, singapore was ranked the 46th most expensive city in the world.

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Default Re: Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    of cos i believe.

thanks for sharing :

moscow\russia:

glass coffee from US $ 9 ( most expensive cup of coffee compare to other countries)

btw, there is no mentioning of cigarette prices?
    Last edited by ninelives; 16th February 2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    thanks for sharing :

moscow\russia:

glass coffee from US $ 9 ( most expensive cup of coffee compare to other countries)

btw, there is no mentioning of cigarette prices?
    if they mention car prices, singapore would probably go up a few notches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    That's good for Singaporeans as those who own their own homes are sitting on gold mines.
    You don't own a public housing apartment in Singapore, it is lease to you as a tenant for a maximum of 99 years.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 16th February 2011 at 09:47 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    You don't own a public housing apartment in Singapore, it is lease to you as a tenant for a maximum of 99 years.
    but b4 the lease runs out, u can earn plenty of $$$$ by renting it out and selling it for profit.

but b4 the lease runs out, u can earn plenty of $$$$ by renting it out and selling it for profit.
    well, you still got to put back what u take out of ur cpf.. lol..
    if they don't keep changing the minimun sum higher and higher

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes View Post
    well, you still got to put back what u take out of ur cpf.. lol..
    if they don't keep changing the minimun sum higher and higher
    and u can keep on reinvesting that cpf money into other properties to make even more money!

singapore is truly the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Yes absolutely. The rental for a 3+1 HDB flat in Punggol will get you a 4-bedroom house with attic, basement and large garden in Germany - and still have a lot left!!!
    yeah...but do u for one think that you will have ENOUGH to start off with?!

unless you're a super scaled employee in Germany, else you'll be struggling to pay 40% income tax or more!!!! and Germans here are well known to scringe at almost everything......

y? because the costs for everything else here is exceptionally high.

so it take YEARS just to save enough to afford a house in germany...that means eating the same old sh*t for every meal.........simple sandwich and veges...day in day out, night in night out.....or, just one bowl of soup for dinner and some bread......

can u tahan this in Singapore?

think about it.......if you can do this in Singapore, simple sandwich with a slice of cheese and some "almost no fibre lettuce... salad....etc..." day in day out, then you should be able to buy a private property in Singapore too.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post

So... you prefer to rent....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by koplady11 View Post
    It is virtually impossible to have a decent meal for $2 nowadays unless one is working at places with internal/heavily subsidised food canteens.
    It is $0.71 cents for the lowest bus fare since 2010, compared to $0.25 20 years ago. Thats 284% inflation rate in 20 years, average 14% every year.
    It cost $160,000 to get an executive flat in 1990s, yet costing above $500,000 currently (depends on location).
    It costs $20,000 to enrol kids in places like Etonhouse now when thats around the price of my BSc degree...

HOW CAN SINGAPORE NOT BE AN EXPENSIVE PLACE???
    the bus fare thingy...

is only true if u're using the EZ Link card.

if u're paying by cash... HA!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    yeah...but do u for one think that you will have ENOUGH to start off with?!

unless you're a super scaled employee in Germany, else you'll be struggling to pay 40% income tax or more!!!! and Germans here are well known to scringe at almost everything......

y? because the costs for everything else here is exceptionally high.

so it take YEARS just to save enough to afford a house in germany...that means eating the same old sh*t for every meal.........simple sandwich and veges...day in day out, night in night out.....or, just one bowl of soup for dinner and some bread......

can u tahan this in Singapore?

think about it.......if you can do this in Singapore, simple sandwich with a slice of cheese and some "almost no fibre lettuce... salad....etc..." day in day out, then you should be able to buy a private property in Singapore too.

yoooo!!! u're now in Germany?

and the house the Germans bought, are theirs, right? meaning after all the years it took them to save enough, they do OWN the house, don't they?

of cos i believe.

to give u an idea of the crazy rate of inflation in singapore, just 7 years ago in 2004, singapore was ranked the 46th most expensive city in the world.

aren't i proud! we should strive for number 1 like our airport etc. etc. etc.!

com'on folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    yoooo!!! u're now in Germany?

and the house the Germans bought, are theirs, right? meaning after all the years it took them to save enough, they do OWN the house, don't they?

been in Germany for 3 years liao...still trying to finish tak chek lah....

Technically yes, after they save until si kiao kiao, its theirs..... but most of the time they don't own the house as much or as long as they want....because of the pressure of scringing. most of them also rent out a bedroom or something just to ease the payments.....and after they si kiao kiao, the house goes to other people (agencies can take back) also or best will be their kids.

it may sound ridiculous...but in Hamburg, when i first touched down, i could hardly find ANY rental apartment/room in a rather "safe" area coz basically 1) I'm a NON GERMAN...so there's already prejudice, 2) most of the apartments will only be available WHEN the students go for summer vacations, holidays, graduate whatnots........ so i asked my supervisor for help to temporarily put me up for a couple of months somewhere (under the departments name...etc)....

40sqm fully furnished....including toilet, hotstove.....

€1000 per month......and that was when the € to SGD was 1:2.34

and you'd think that the department would pay? heck NO! I'm taxed 40% till now....and thats exclusive of MANDATORY income tax (what income?!?!?!) at 8% or more (depending on age) because I'm married and both of us on so called "scholarship"...... look at NUS scholarship, its not taxed (at least the last time i wasn't.... ) even if you're 30 years old or 800000 years old....as long as u are on "SCHOLARSHIP" u were not taxed.

and shortly after the entire lab moved to now Göttingen where its a student town with NOTHING, absolutely nothing..... the owners of that house kept sending emails to check if my sup has anymore guests who will rent .......

Even though the € is doing crazy these days, the tax here is just not letting up and while the west looks greener (or whiter), the earning power/standard is really miserable..... imagine paying for highly inflated BANANAs...... or even things like Celery...... if u think Cold Storage is expensive......wait till u go to places like Penny Mart/Aldi/Lidl (these are the much cheaper supermarkets already).... per piece, it is more expensive than Cold storage....

so yes, Singapore is definitely rather expensive when we base it on our society terms...but the amount of convenience, the relatively much lower income tax, and non ridiculous MANDATORY insurance, the safety and most importantly, generally racially tolerant public.............people just need to be rather disciplined and be money savvy. Its definitely easier to earn more $$$ in Singapore than here in Germany. and Yes Germany is RIDICULOUSLY expensive too...especially in cities.....MUCH MUCH MORE expensive than in Singapore......not that the quality of life here is any better.....but because of high govt tax and inflation and a generally poorer public. when u based it against the society pressures and standards, i'd say both countries are just as expensive.....one is expensive if you are not disciplined and want to enjoy every single convenience ....the other is expensive because once your €€€ comes in, straight away ketok until half gone liao......then go supermarket, need to have €10-15 budget.....which can buy things like bread, cheese, sliced ham/sausage some veges and maybe a packet of fruit juice.....(for the entire week)
    Last edited by plsoong; 17th February 2011 at 08:43 AM.

haiz....unfortunately i still do not understand y our society still believe/accomodate the bai she pi fu.

I'm generalizing here, but i think I've met enough to have a general concurring statistic/theme. Most of them are 1) extremely PROUD of their own country (except of course our citizens)....NOTHING short of mentioning the atrocities of WWII (which they will brush it away and not like to talk about it) will ever bring them down..because they products are the BEST! ... thats the typical mentality here...... ..thats acceptable i guess... but what really pisses me off is that 2) they have this distorted mental picture that Asia is generally not as developed and SHOULD BE cheaper. So once awhile, some dude will try to show off his stuff as German made and kinda suggest if we even have this kinda quality back home.......blah blah blah...... and i mean...its great to be proud of the country's produce..... but its ridiculous to just blindly buy into the stuff just because its a German brand.
    Once i brought up the comparisons of INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS as a benchmark and that some stuff produced here are SO FAR DOWN the rabbit hole that its an embarrassment, they're very quick to brush it away as ".... not that important...."

Its kinda wierd, but i do wished our own citizens could have some small slice of this mentality at times....

When they hear about the number of BMs, Merc, Audis, Volvos and VWs that we're importing, i guess it stoked their pride even more...of course i had to throw in the cold towel that should we fail to have a good economy, it'll be very likely that there will be excess autos in their factories...which can hurt their economy as much as what GE did so in US.....

and only then did they kinda wake up a little into reality.
    Last edited by plsoong; 17th February 2011 at 09:03 AM.

Bro plsoong, well basically in SG I guess its slightly better than where you are now. But the conditions of generally available food also deteriorated, Vivocity Kopitiam I am not sure if there are any stalls which I can stomach the food. I just know the bak chor mee, chicken rice/noodles, mini wok stalls are expensive (mini wok $4.50), the portions small which is barely sufficient for a 1.75m male, and taste really bad as in Cup noodles taste better. A cup of Teh Si in Ya Kun is S$1.70 now. Regular uncle's kopitiam Indian Roti-prata with telor is $1.50. A plate of bee-hoon + egg in regular coffeeshop is $1.90.

My HDB 90sqm, the agents have ready queues waiting to rent at $3800-$4100 (multiple flyers slot through the gate per day). Tg Pagar area, high-floor.

And I think a Golf GTi is like 200k now, just to give you an idea. So generally most would have to take the train/bus to work. Luckily Cabs are still "pretty ok".

If your MBA opens doors into the big companies, you can do pretty good. But btw, my sis, still is getting 4k plus, 7 over years exp and MBA. Cannot get good paying job, though jobs are aplenty here. Hope what you are studying will differentiate yourself from the masses.

Luckily you are married. The VG/PG and wedding banquets are extremely costly, approx 2 times compared to say 2004 just 7 years ago. Though one could argue that standards have gone up.

SG and Taiwan baby/birth statistics do not lie. Taiwan big cities is what...latest 0.x something, just came back.
    Just for your kind update.

The moral of the story is - Live Within Your Means

Food at Kopitaim too expensive... bring Home Cook food.

Golf GTi too expensive... take public transport like the rest of S'pore.

HDB could get good rent... consider it a blessing should you need to rent it out.

Can't find a 'good' job... at least still got a job.

Can't afford to get marry... welcome to the club

Such transactions over the competitive open market are always subjected to supply and demand as influenced by many economic factors. In the aftermath of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis, many home owners who have just purchased HDB apartments at a record price are forced to sell away their unit at a huge loss within the upcoming years as they are unable to afford the monthly loan instalment.

As the property bubble burst wide open, it is not difficult from approximately 1998 to 2004 to find an executive apartment selling for only S$300,000/S$350,000.00 which is way below the evaluation price at that time.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 17th February 2011 at 01:31 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

anyone else feeling depressed after reading this thread?

Property have been kind to many Singaporeans ... people who are in their 40s and above are most likely sitting pretty. Those who have taken on risks to buy property for rental yield have also been rewarded.

It is the younger generation, people below 30 who are scratching their head. Sure property prices are more expensive now, but also bear in mind that everyone was young once and many who are sitting pretty now have sacrificed "present" consumption to plonk a downpayment on a property to put a roof over their heads. In those days, you still had to beg borrow steal or skimped like crazy to put a down payment on your house.

Exotic honeymoon, elaborate weddings, designer renovation, 42 inch TV .. ya . all that can wait. House ownership more important In the old days, unless you were rich, traveling for holidays was almost non existent. Camera and gadgets were most likely a luxury item. Eating out in restaurants was a treat reserved for month end after payday.

I am not saying that it is easy to buy a house now but rather if the house is important, than that should be a priority and you need to do what it takes in terms of cutting down other expenses to take care of number 1 priority

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Property have been kind to many Singaporeans ... people who are in their 40s and above are most likely sitting pretty. Those who have taken on risks to buy property for rental yield have also been rewarded.

It is the younger generation, people below 30 who are scratching their head. Sure property prices are more expensive now, but also bear in mind that everyone was young once and many who are sitting pretty now have sacrificed "present" consumption to plonk a downpayment on a property to put a roof over their heads. In those days, you still had to beg borrow steal or skimped like crazy to put a down payment on your house.

Exotic honeymoon, elaborate weddings, designer renovation, 42 inch TV .. ya . all that can wait. House ownership more important In the old days, unless you were rich, traveling for holidays was almost non existent. Camera and gadgets were most likely a luxury item. Eating out in restaurants was a treat reserved for month end after payday.

I am not saying that it is easy to buy a house now but rather if the house is important, than that should be a priority and you need to do what it takes in terms of cutting down other expenses to take care of number 1 priority

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast