Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    What a closed mind ...
    I had a few occasions where I took pictures during a wedding. In all cases I had a good chat with the main PG, no issues at all. The younger ones were a bit more reserved, the older ones are relaxed and shared some tips and tricks.
    It's the way you approach them.
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Quote Originally Posted by zaren

Main PG can't cover everything at the wedding. TS can shoot what the main PG is not shooting.

Why duplicate the efforts of the Main PG?

That's what I said also.

Why must duplicate shots? If the person thinks his shots can be better than main PG, then he is so wrong.

Main PG can focus on the married couple, TS can focus on different guests, food, emcee, drinks, kids, parents, event, etc etc. There is so much to shoot. Must die die follow main PG meh?

The married couple will appreciate more when they get shots that complete the entire wedding, not just photos of themselves.

Be more creative is the key.

Most people who "volunteer to help" most likely have an agenda,They want to practice wedding photography, so I don't think they will be contented with taking shots not related to the bridal couple, so somehow or rather they will be where the action is, there no avoiding the main photographer

Just been in the situation that TS is asking last Sunday.

was ask by the groom (my friend) to be one of his brother and 2nd PG. talk to the main PG and told not to be shy to tell me to move if i got in his way. most of the time i also stand to the side and behind when shooting so as to give him room to move about.

dont stand near him during grp shooting and snap as you will grab the attention of some of the ppl accidentally, shot from the side, if anyone look at you be polite and get them to focus on the main PG and not you.

during wedding dinner time I shot with tele for candid and with tele i can shot from range behind the main PG. also shooting from alternate angle or position away from the main PG either to his left or right, never infront of him.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

If I'm not the main PG, is it all right to use flash? I'm worried the flash will interfere with his exposure. Not shooting the couple but causal shots of people. Any tips to avoid such incident?

1) always know where's the main phtgr, make sure u dun block him.

2) if shooting the same subject, let the phtgr shoot 1st. as illuminator and flash may spoil his shoot.

If there are 2 or more casuals shooters, then prob the main PG would just snap them as they are also part of the wedding. There is no need to be afraid. This good coz (1) they are the friends/relatives so when the couple and familes go through the pix they can have a good laugh. (2) When couples tell you WTH your grp pix are "uncontrolled" meaning why is one of the guys in there not looking at your camera. You show them the > 2 casual photo pictures as proof why this is so. Put in the FAQ section that you would try to control but nothing is 100%. (3) Nowadays I just let them shoot, the more the merrier. I shoot them guests taking pictures of their guests together with the bride + groom, say I use a WA and poke in between them. (hence I'd also be disturbing their shots, everything is fair and square). During saying goodbye time if the flow is frequently interrupted by group shots by guests, the usual 2300h timing is exceeded significantly, its chargeable. Exceed 2330h, additional late surcharge on top of time is applicable. This is FAQed also and also quoted in the Options section. Again, I reiterate, everything is fair and square, I still provide top notch courteous service, absolutely nothing is hidden and we have families/lifestyles to maintain.

So no issue lah.... TS, just shoot. If the main PG is pro + experienced, there is 0% issue. Many times we'd let the casual shooters shoot first, and then we organise a more tokong pose etc. So the issue would then be the casual shooters shoot, we orgainse nice nice, and the casual shooters shoot again hence the risk of disturbing the shot. That's when the above-mentioned point (2) is presented as the reason.
    So it may be interested to know that equipment can be backed up, camera man can be backed up, the shots themselves can also be backed up.

What I am REALLY afraid is demanding sisters etc...... "That time my photographer gave me additional time FOC leh..... also 2 outdoor location shoots during AD no issue". "Why you soot in such a way and hide behind pillar one, my own PG posed me". "Hey cameraman, my potografer hor....never collected payment on the actual day". Etc.... now that's scary if they are the nasty type and your PR fails. I have met quite a lot out there who will be out to drain the absolute max value from you, though there are many very nice people that I have come across too. But 1 or 2 extremely bad experience(s) would really make you change your protocol in handling some situations.
    Last edited by 2100; 17th February 2011 at 01:55 AM.

Shoot more candid photos and visualise photos that are does not involve the bride or bridegroom, because the focus of the PG will be on two of them. you can help by turning your attentions to other details, i am sure the newly wed couple will thank you for that.
    Visit me on Flickr!

Quote Originally Posted by donut88 View Post
    That's what I said also.

Why must duplicate shots? If the person thinks his shots can be better than main PG, then he is so wrong.

Main PG can focus on the married couple, TS can focus on different guests, food, emcee, drinks, kids, parents, event, etc etc. There is so much to shoot. Must die die follow main PG meh?

The married couple will appreciate more when they get shots that complete the entire wedding, not just photos of themselves.

Be more creative is the key.
    duplicate shoots cos come there to study ma not realy help, must steal pro PG composition lol

yea that's what i dun get why many people must get the pic with same composition when u can cover other things not covered by the main PG, wedding is not just about the couple, i myself dun want my wedding pic contains only me & my bride shoots ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by nedy77 View Post
    Most people who "volunteer to help" most likely have an agenda,They want to practice wedding photography, so I don't think they will be contented with taking shots not related to the bridal couple, so somehow or rather they will be where the action is, there no avoiding the main photographer
    then that's not called helping already but a nuisance lol
    Last edited by willdoang; 17th February 2011 at 09:32 AM.
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

Quote Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
    hi guys,

not too sure if this should be posted on wedding section or here but hope to seek some insights from main wedding PG.

I will be assisting a fren in his actual day and he already has a main PG. Hence my greatest worry is affecting the main PG. The main PG is there to shoot professionally hence the last thing i wan to do is to affect him or spoil the couple's shoot.

As much as most things should be based on observation and own EQ on actual day, hard to know when I might hv affected the main PG.

1) definitely will wanna make fren with the main PG. is it safe for me to highlight that at any stage should he find my presence annoying (unfortunately) let me know?
    2) typically actual days are very dynamic and moments fleeting. for the most part he will be running over taking shots. will typically be behind him or away from him and take my own shots. concern is

(a) he line up one shot and from a slightly different angle i take a shot. will it be perceived as picking up scraps?
    (b) perhaps i take quiet moments or some simple shots (eg bride's shoe in shadows and sun) will be it offensive?

perhaps i worry too much. as much I am keen to learn i definitely wanna put the couple's interest first. more or less prepared to pack up should the vibe not feel right le.
    Hey good of you to bring this up. I'll speak from experience. If your friend has agreed for you to help out (and not just be like one of the many camera-totting guests), let the photographer know.

I never object when they inform me. I'll just want to touch base in the beginning just to agree on certain things. What peeves me is not knowing there's another photog and he's always jumping into my shot.

The things we agree on is usually not to rush for angles, not to block me, etc. If he wants to take group shots too, take turns to shoot after me coz I need the eye contact.

I'm glad to say that most of the time, it works well and we end up as friends, keeping in touch after the wedding. What I find challenging is working with another photographer from say, a bridal studio. In this case, I'll tell the couple to decide clearly who takes the group shots, etc. And even then I make sure I won't cover the same angle.

I think that's what you should do too. Cover a different angle and give your friends variety, or focus on other things.

Have fun at the wedding!

I came across a very good example of how PGs can work together in an event.

I attended a company event in hotel. I noticed there is a main PG and 1 other PG. The main PG will focus mainly on the stage, VIPs, events.

The other PG will focus on candid shots, close up, portrait shots, guests, food, decor. And he merely using a simple prime lens for his shots. This is what i called synergy working together.

The 2 PGs are making sure that they don't clash each other while working on the same event.

So, please don't act too smart by following the main PG whatever he does. Do your own thing.

hey thx all for the insights. think hv to let fate decide. for me i jus hv to "get out of the way"
    i like candid/portraits so i guess for the most part tat's my key focus.

po pi wedding shun shun and car plate open 4D hee hee
    A99/77, Sig DG2 1224, Sig 35f1.4, SAL2470Z, SAL50F14Z, Tam 90F2.8Macro, Min 70210 F4, RX100M3

most important thing: communication

talk to him/her and ask the DOs and DONTs, he/she wont bite.

I've encountered some very friendly wedding photographers that even share what he/she was doing and even their settings, just not when its in the middle of shooting.
    Nikon D700| 70-200mm f/2.8G VR2| 28-70mm f/2.8D| 85mm f/1.8G| 50mm f/1.8G| SB900/SB28| MB-D10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12