Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

  1. #1

    Default Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    hi guys,

    not too sure if this should be posted on wedding section or here but hope to seek some insights from main wedding PG.

    I will be assisting a fren in his actual day and he already has a main PG. Hence my greatest worry is affecting the main PG. The main PG is there to shoot professionally hence the last thing i wan to do is to affect him or spoil the couple's shoot.

    As much as most things should be based on observation and own EQ on actual day, hard to know when I might hv affected the main PG.

    1) definitely will wanna make fren with the main PG. is it safe for me to highlight that at any stage should he find my presence annoying (unfortunately) let me know?
    2) typically actual days are very dynamic and moments fleeting. for the most part he will be running over taking shots. will typically be behind him or away from him and take my own shots. concern is

    (a) he line up one shot and from a slightly different angle i take a shot. will it be perceived as picking up scraps?
    (b) perhaps i take quiet moments or some simple shots (eg bride's shoe in shadows and sun) will be it offensive?

    perhaps i worry too much. as much I am keen to learn i definitely wanna put the couple's interest first. more or less prepared to pack up should the vibe not feel right le.
    A99/77, Sig DG2 1224, Sig 35f1.4, SAL2470Z, SAL50F14Z, Tam 90F2.8Macro, Min 70210 F4, RX100M3

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    1) They rarely have time to make friends.

    a) nope. Anyone who shoots weddings usually has to deal with 10-20 "friends" all shooting away left right centre.
    b) why would it be?

    Most importantly, DO NOT get in his way. If he's posing the bride, don't disturb.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javabeans
    hi guys,

    not too sure if this should be posted on wedding section or here but hope to seek some insights from main wedding PG.

    I will be assisting a fren in his actual day and he already has a main PG. Hence my greatest worry is affecting the main PG. The main PG is there to shoot professionally hence the last thing i wan to do is to affect him or spoil the couple's shoot.

    As much as most things should be based on observation and own EQ on actual day, hard to know when I might hv affected the main PG.

    1) definitely will wanna make fren with the main PG. is it safe for me to highlight that at any stage should he find my presence annoying (unfortunately) let me know?
    2) typically actual days are very dynamic and moments fleeting. for the most part he will be running over taking shots. will typically be behind him or away from him and take my own shots. concern is

    (a) he line up one shot and from a slightly different angle i take a shot. will it be perceived as picking up scraps?
    (b) perhaps i take quiet moments or some simple shots (eg bride's shoe in shadows and sun) will be it offensive?

    perhaps i worry too much. as much I am keen to learn i definitely wanna put the couple's interest first. more or less prepared to pack up should the vibe not feel right le.
    Why not u focus on candid shots, close up shots or other shots that main PG is not shooting? I'm sure u will get your own shots. Why would u wan to take the same shots as main PG? Isn't it repetitive and no value add?

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
    hi guys,

    not too sure if this should be posted on wedding section or here but hope to seek some insights from main wedding PG.

    I will be assisting a fren in his actual day and he already has a main PG. Hence my greatest worry is affecting the main PG. The main PG is there to shoot professionally hence the last thing i wan to do is to affect him or spoil the couple's shoot.

    As much as most things should be based on observation and own EQ on actual day, hard to know when I might hv affected the main PG.

    1) definitely will wanna make fren with the main PG. is it safe for me to highlight that at any stage should he find my presence annoying (unfortunately) let me know?
    2) typically actual days are very dynamic and moments fleeting. for the most part he will be running over taking shots. will typically be behind him or away from him and take my own shots. concern is

    (a) he line up one shot and from a slightly different angle i take a shot. will it be perceived as picking up scraps?
    (b) perhaps i take quiet moments or some simple shots (eg bride's shoe in shadows and sun) will be it offensive?

    perhaps i worry too much. as much I am keen to learn i definitely wanna put the couple's interest first. more or less prepared to pack up should the vibe not feel right le.
    there is no wedding section per se, the wedding portfolio is for showcasing wedding works, not for discussion of how to shoot weddings.

    and your questions is asking how to shoot wedding, not about using what gears to shoot wedding, hence it is not belong to Equipment Discussions and has noting related to Sony/Konica-Minolta.

    Thread move to General Tech Talk (Share tips & tricks, techniques, general photography chat.)

    btw, the main key things on how to conduct yourself well during the wedding shoot is communication, communication and more communication.

    talk to the main photographer, talk to the couple, talk to the couple's parents, so everyone know what others people is doing, everyone understand each others, everyone get what they want, and nobody stepping each other toes.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Don't get into his way . . . don't think so much . . . just go and enjoy shooting . . .

    Oh, most importantly, don't get yourself in his framing . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    from personal experience of both my sis's wedding (no i not a photographer for those days), i know something which might cause inconvenience to him..

    during the time where he taking group photos of the guests, especially in large groups, try not to point your camera at the group where they can see you doing that too.. cause some auntie or uncle might end up smiling at your lens thinking you are the main PG...
    mochi~ mochi~ mochi~
    D300 noob.. :3

  7. #7
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    1) most of them is there for the job not to make frends, dun even think of befriending photogs in the middle of the shoot, if u kepo maybe can do it on his break time which i think he would prefer to review his shoots or rest

    2) wedding is BIG, shoot what is not being focused by the main PG(friends, guests, candid moments)
    a) no it won't be picking up scraps, it'll only mean ur friend will get shoots in different prespective which is more value add than 2 rather same composition
    b)don't see anything offensive infact most wedding shoot i've seen include those lol
    Last edited by willdoang; 16th February 2011 at 02:43 PM.
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

  8. #8

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    It's all subjected to the character of different professional photographers. You have to test water, some are really and also some who are really nice PG and willing to talk when there is a small break in between. If they are happy to talk, no harm making small talks, because I have ever encountered some who shares his plans in advance, so that we (secondary photographers and brothers/sis) will be assist and avoid getting into the wrong place at those inappropriate time.



    ...oh yeah,...there is always one of those shots where the photographer cannot get, but you can!

    .......Candid shot of him photographing and the action of him posing the bride and groom! You'll be amazed at how well it will fit into the album for the process....
    Last edited by MacroMarlin; 16th February 2011 at 03:53 PM.
    What I really missed most, is my first SLR. An Olympus OM2 with the Zuiko 35mm f/1.4, back in 1982!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    I've had a similar experience. was at my cousin's church wedding ceremony and was keen to try out shooting wedding for fun. had no prior experience with regards to wedding at that time. I got my cousin's permission and he was actually very pleased. shouldn't be a problem so long your friend agrees.

    what's really important, like what you said, don't get in the way of the main photographer they hired. after all he's paid to do the job so you shouldn't mess up his shoot.

    generally, I stayed a distance away from the wedding photographer i.e. didn't shoot at the same spot where he was, so as to not limit his movement where he was composing. usually I tried not to be near him. idea is to not get in his frame or restrict him.

    when he was using a wide angle lens, I was more cautious as it's more likely that I'll get in his frame. anticipate his actions/movements, and act appropriately. when I wanted to get a shot close-up, I would wait for him to shoot, then get his eye contact and approval, before moving forward to get my shots, then move back quickly again.

    like others have mentioned, I don't think the main photographer will have time to actually "make friends". but I think it's important you act appropriately and be courteous.

    end of the day,
    you happy + your friend happy + the main photographer happy =
    Canon 6D | 24-105L | 17-40L | 50 1.4

  10. #10

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Don't even try to be friendly with him, he will see you as the "competitor" because he's expected to deliver better shots than you.

    If I were you, i will stay far far away from him

  11. #11

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    you may think that you will not be in the way, but sometimes when you get too engrossed in getting the shots, you may subconciously get in the way

    for the good of your friend, i suggest that you don't do it. The couple paid good money to the photographer and you will not want to mess it up for the sake of learning

  12. #12
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    oh cmon... wedding photographers don't have time to be friendly?

    please don't:

    a) mislead the general public that wedding pgs are unfriendly
    b) exert your working style of not being friendly while shooting on others
    c) think that all wedding pgs fear "competition" from casual shooters

    i don't think it's complicated. saying hi, wassup and being nice is always good. if the pg is as friendly then fine, if he is not, so be it, leave it alone. there's never a reason to not be friendly, especially at a wedding.

    other than that, whether pg is nice or not, it's the same, u shoot ur stuff, get out of his way. the bonus if he's nice is that u can chat with him about photography or watever, if you wish.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    you may think that you will not be in the way, but sometimes when you get too engrossed in getting the shots, you may subconciously get in the way

    for the good of your friend, i suggest that you don't do it. The couple paid good money to the photographer and you will not want to mess it up for the sake of learning
    it is true many photographers have some problems with casual shooters at any wedding, but i've never been to a wedding where there has been zero casual shooters, even with a phone. so even if he doesn't do it, there will be others who do. the point isn't to not do it, is to do it such that the pg isn't inconvenienced.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    there's only one thing to remember....

    "stay out of the way of the main PG, and don't disturb his shots."

    that's it!

    happy shooting!

    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  15. #15
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,393

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    Don't even try to be friendly with him, he will see you as the "competitor" because he's expected to deliver better shots than you.
    What a closed mind ...
    I had a few occasions where I took pictures during a wedding. In all cases I had a good chat with the main PG, no issues at all. The younger ones were a bit more reserved, the older ones are relaxed and shared some tips and tricks.
    It's the way you approach them.
    EOS

  16. #16

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    there no way to stay 100% out of the main photographer's way. how to stay out of the way when TS(thread starter) need to shoot the couple and the wedding?

    if the couple is on the stage, then the main PG will need to be near the stage, than TS will need to be near the stage. Unless TS goes far far away and use a tele lens

    what makes TS thinks that he's helping the couple? they will already get photos of the wedding, and they are paying the main PG to do the job. Where's the "help" part? Unless the couple don't have a PG, then TS is helping

    If lucly, TS will manage to get out of the way of every single shot. If unlucky, he may get in the way of some shots.

    The couple definitly wants the best shots of themselves. What do other casual shooters want to achieve?

    if the photos they took are not nice, they just need to delete it.

    If the photos TS took are not nice, he just say "oh i am just trying to learn"

    if the main PG don't have the best shots(coz everyone's in the way), the couple is the only people to lose out

  17. #17

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by photoart View Post
    there no way to stay 100% out of the main photographer's way. how to stay out of the way when TS(thread starter) need to shoot the couple and the wedding?

    if the couple is on the stage, then the main PG will need to be near the stage, than TS will need to be near the stage. Unless TS goes far far away and use a tele lens

    what makes TS thinks that he's helping the couple? they will already get photos of the wedding, and they are paying the main PG to do the job. Where's the "help" part? Unless the couple don't have a PG, then TS is helping

    If lucly, TS will manage to get out of the way of every single shot. If unlucky, he may get in the way of some shots.

    The couple definitly wants the best shots of themselves. What do other casual shooters want to achieve?

    if the photos they took are not nice, they just need to delete it.

    If the photos TS took are not nice, he just say "oh i am just trying to learn"

    if the main PG don't have the best shots(coz everyone's in the way), the couple is the only people to lose out

    Main PG can't cover everything at the wedding. TS can shoot what the main PG is not shooting.

    Why duplicate the efforts of the Main PG?

    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  18. #18

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Quote Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
    (a) he line up one shot and from a slightly different angle i take a shot. will it be perceived as picking up scraps?
    (b) perhaps i take quiet moments or some simple shots (eg bride's shoe in shadows and sun) will be it offensive?
    "no" to both ur questions.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  19. #19

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    Think the TS "help" mean he the "brother" of the groom on that day and he wanted to take some moment of his friend big day.
    I had "help" my friends too during wedding as a "brother", just try to stay bit distance away from PG and take some other shots when the PG is posing the couple or other stuffs/people, eg that time I took photos of cute kids (华童) playing etc. The PG will be taking shot of the main event, so once a while will just snap a shot at different angle. If time allow then will asked the couple and the guest (mostly are our common friends) to look into my camera, if not it ok as the PG will have the photos taken already.
    I always try to avoid using flash on my camera if possible.

    I had attended wedding with the PG wanted to take moment of the couples (eg during ring exchange etc), their friend with "pro" looking camera just cut in front of the PG or block his way to take the shot, the poor PG had limited space to move around. After a while, can see the the face of PG bit annoyed. I think that friend should tell the couple, "hey save the $, I will be ur PG on the day"

  20. #20
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Any "things to avoid" as non primary wedding photographer?

    commonsense tells u to not be zhor teng.

    shoot is fine. most pg are fine. the worst thing is when u decide that to not block him u stand opposite him, u will appear in all of his shots.

    stand on his side. behind him. sideways. dun irritate, use ur judgement and put urself in his shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •