Thread: End of a Day

Default End of a Day

Hi All,

Photo was shot late in the afternoon as the sun was setting. The field was filled with kite fliers and as the wind was dying down, with the sun dipping into the hills, the couple was spotted packing up and walking away.

The whole idea behind the photo is to invoke the emotions one feels when the day ends, in this instance, an example of the end of the day for the kite fliers. Not limited to just kite flying, the aim is to reach to all viewers of this photo, who will somehow be able to relate to the photo.....End of a Day.

What I would like to know is, has it managed to invoke the emotions of those who see this photo? Also, anything else can be done to improve the photo, so as to achieve it's desired effect.

Thanking all in advance.

From,
    Diveraz

Default Re: End of a Day

Simple, nice and certainly brings out the idea suggested by your title.

Is this at woodlands? haha...

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84
    Simple, nice and certainly brings out the idea suggested by your title.

Is this at woodlands? haha...
    Thanx for the input.

Yep, it was shot at the field next to the Sports School.

wow. haha first reaction. amazing picture, however to be honest, it dsnt seem to invoke that 'end-of-day' theme in me haha imho, i feel that this would make an excellent valentines day picture or carry the theme of 'love' instead as most of the attention in the picture seems to be centered ard the 'couple' in the pic haha

otherwise, excellent shot
    canon fan boy ;D

End of Day. I got 2 feelings. First is a ball of flaming death rolling downhill mowing down a clueless couple. Second is a mini-nuke setting off and soon to vapourise a clueless couple.

I feel it's an awkward composition. Your idea is there but the subject placement is questionable. Due to the lack of foreground depth the image is essentially 2-D, sometimes it is a smart play but here both sun & couple are at equal height to each other. The sun is actually distracting as a hotspot, and the couple are too small, static and too low in the frame to be prominent subjects.

If you're open to unconventional compositions (some people treat the 1/3 rule as an actual rule) I would suggest extending the bottom so the couple are dead middle in the frame to get more attention and brighten the sky for greater silhouette contrast. Splitting the frame in half is much more interesting and an example in usage of negative space.

Even if I missed out typing an 'a', doesn't make what I think of the picture any different. I don't care about titles when it's the picture that matters. Eh, I hope people can give constructive C&C rather than saying a simple "I like this shot". This is C&C corner afterall.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 17th February 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    End of Day. I got 2 feelings. First is a ball of flaming death rolling downhill mowing down a clueless couple. Second is a mini-nuke setting off and soon to vapourise a clueless couple.
    LOL
    canon fan boy ;D

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    If you're open to unconventional compositions (some people treat the 1/3 rule as an actual rule) I would suggest extending the bottom so the couple are dead middle in the frame to get more attention and brighten the sky for greater silhouette contrast. Splitting the frame in half is much more interesting and an example in usage of negative space.
    Thanx for the feedback and inputs. Will try to see if your suggestion is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateking123 View Post
    wow. haha first reaction. amazing picture, however to be honest, it dsnt seem to invoke that 'end-of-day' theme in me haha imho, i feel that this would make an excellent valentines day picture or carry the theme of 'love' instead as most of the attention in the picture seems to be centered ard the 'couple' in the pic haha

otherwise, excellent shot
    Thanx for your feedback.

actually TS is right about the tittle, "end of a day" is totally different from "end of day"...

btw, i like this shot...

Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    actually TS is right about the tittle, "end of a day" is totally different from "end of day"...

btw, i like this shot...
    Thanx for the compliment.

The choice between End of A Day and End of The Day makes a big difference, IMO.

IMO, there's beauty in the simplicity of the pic.

Sometimes, we tends to read too much into a picture by dissecting it excessively. Imagine if this scene is right before your very eyes (and not in a photo), you will hardly go about saying things like:"Ooh, look how small the couple compared to the setting sun; or the sun and the couple are forming a co-tangent angle of xx degree to the horizon..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lekech
    IMO, there's beauty in the simplicity of the pic.

Sometimes, we tends to read too much into a picture by dissecting it excessively. Imagine if this scene is right before your very eyes (and not in a photo), you will hardly go about saying things like:"Ooh, look how small the couple compared to the setting sun; or the sun and the couple are forming a co-tangent angle of xx degree to the horizon..."
    Would you believe me if I said I do think about it? It's not enough to just catch a scene, but to make it unique. And to train yourself to make judgments on the spot vs editing in photoshop. Can everything be so good there is nothing to improve on?

Any image posted in CC is up for disection. I wouldn't be giving respect to TS if all I said was good job.

True...but I guess we have to consider the constraint on the grounds itself, say if he is far away, and maybe he hasn't got a telephoto lens or it's weird to run up to them to take close up shot.

Not forgetting the couple are not posing and they would disappear from the scene within seconds or a min.

Of course if I am on the ground, given my medicore skills I might not be able to think of anyway to make it better. But again, I have medicore skills that's why. So I guess we are complimenting this picture not just on the photo but how he managed to capture this scene which exists only for that very short period of time and with all the physical limitations.

As for the interpretation of V'day I think it's abit off to me, a boy and girl walking tog (not even holding hands etc) must mean they are a couple? Just a random thought.

I was at the location to just take random shots of kite fliers, kids cycling, people having picnics and such. It was on the way back, with the sun setting, did I notice the above and decided to capture the moment (numerous frames in various settings). Out of the many shots, I managed to single out this particular frame and did some cropping.

Although you guys can say that not much thought was put into actually capturing the photo, it was a "fleeting" moment, with the sun dipping ever so quickly, and the couple walking away..........not exactly the best situation.

I appreciate all the feedbacks, inputs, compliments and critics. It's meant to be a learning, and humbling journey into photography for me, so, I take all comments, good and bad, to help improve and sharpen my skills.

Again, thank you all and keep "criticising"

on a funny side, i look in a way that the 2 people machiam kena followed by the patch of dark cloud on top of them. haha. the direction of them walking and the direction of the cloud moving (based on the trail of the cloud).

anyway, i like this picture. the warm feeling to the picture and it depicts the title. good job ts.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
    on a funny side, i look in a way that the 2 people machiam kena followed by the patch of dark cloud on top of them. haha. the direction of them walking and the direction of the cloud moving (based on the trail of the cloud).

anyway, i like this picture. the warm feeling to the picture and it depicts the title. good job ts.
    I know what you mean, like in cartoons where a black cloud follows the character.......

i like it..
    would have it exactly the same way.
    cheers!

Wow..nice!!

Would have liked it without the clouds somehow, but that's not something you can control. The absence of the clouds would give it a minimalistic feel, which I would prefer in this pic. But nice shot nevertheless