Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 641

Thread: Network for photographers' assistants

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon
    I thought assistants usually carry lightings, stands, light meter and reflectors one????

    Jus kidding...
    yes, assistants have to do all that, and much more.

    i mean, if you are just there to hold stuff, i think anyone can do it, as long you are physically capable. there won't be any skill involved and i don't think one can derive much satisfication from that.

    assistants' job scopes differ from photographer to photographer, company to company..but things in common, we are there to assist the photographer, facilitate the shooting process, do the dirty jobs behind the scene if needed. photographers only have 1 pair of eyes, ears, legs and arms. we are their 2nd set of limbs.

    other tasks differ from place to place. e.g. i do get to shoot sometimes, albeit with some form of creative control from the photographer. like setting up the next angle (subject to approval from the photographer) to clicking the shutter etc. it all depends on how much the photographer expect from you.

    one advice remains the same.. enjoy your work, and learn from the right people.

    hope others more experienced can add in their thoughts?

  2. #102
    Delson
    Guests

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aeronautisis
    U may want to consider looking for Azure as he's often on the lookout for good PAs.
    He doesn't mind inexperienced people, just people with good attitude and mentality. In fact, at times, he prefer people without any experience as they will not have any preset biases or working mindset from their previous experiences.
    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=139264
    Thanks for the intro. And why did Stereobox cough? lol anything wrong?

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delson
    Thanks for the intro. And why did Stereobox cough? lol anything wrong?
    no..nothing wrong..

    i went for one of his 'interviews' you see..

  4. #104
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    assistants' job scopes differ from photographer to photographer, company to company..but things in common, we are there to assist the photographer, facilitate the shooting process, do the dirty jobs behind the scene if needed. photographers only have 1 pair of eyes, ears, legs and arms. we are their 2nd set of limbs.

    other tasks differ from place to place. e.g. i do get to shoot sometimes, albeit with some form of creative control from the photographer. like setting up the next angle (subject to approval from the photographer) to clicking the shutter etc. it all depends on how much the photographer expect from you.
    Actually, I wish I have a chance to work as a PA too....... It does sound like a secretary job to some extend....... helping the boss out, be the right hand man..... though some become SEX-retary......

    But I guess one does need some strength to cope with all the labour..... usually, what is the estimate wage of a PA????
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  5. #105

    Default

    Interesting thread. Anyway guys, I do have a question. What does PA do? In my mind, I always think that a PA is only to do carry load. Carry the things which the photographer need it.
    The best reward in life is laughter

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji
    Interesting thread. Anyway guys, I do have a question. What does PA do? In my mind, I always think that a PA is only to do carry load. Carry the things which the photographer need it.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=101 ?


  7. #107

    Default

    Steorobox, mainly this thread is about grouping up those who like photography together as a PA? And it will be a free lance?
    The best reward in life is laughter

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji
    Steorobox, mainly this thread is about grouping up those who like photography together as a PA? And it will be a free lance?
    no la.. originally the idea was this http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....91&postcount=1 but it expanded to include anyone who's willing to take that first step into commercial/professional photography to join here for support and encouragement.

    if there's lobang or whatever, i try to post here too..but don't expect much from it hehe..

  9. #109
    Member kijer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    shifted to bt merah
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    no..nothing wrong..

    i went for one of his 'interviews' you see..
    i also did went for one in apr. he is looking 4 ppl he can clik wif. nice gentleman to talk wif and work 4. but if u r the arrongant or rude type.....
    i din get to work 4 him btw

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kijer
    i also did went for one in apr. he is looking 4 ppl he can clik wif. nice gentleman to talk wif and work 4. but if u r the arrongant or rude type.....
    i din get to work 4 him btw
    so are you the arrogant or rude type?

    well, he did emphasis that he's more interested in hiring 'inexperienced' people he can 'train'.. guess i'm abit over-qualifed (in terms of working experience, not skill la haha)

  11. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    so are you the arrogant or rude type?

    well, he did emphasis that he's more interested in hiring 'inexperienced' people he can 'train'.. guess i'm abit over-qualifed (in terms of working experience, not skill la haha)
    kijer definitely fits the bill, with the exception of his availability, sadly.
    there's no such thing as over-qualified, only under-qualified in terms of character and attitude.
    inexperience people are prefered because there's a lower chance of hiring some smart aleck who wants to do things as he wish just because he has some prior experience. There is also a higher chance of inexperienced people being more eager to learn. (note: i stated lower/higher chance)

    For your info, i've been to his interviews and is happily working with him now, though on a part-time basis.
    Personal take: he's very willing to share and to teach, as long as u're willing to learn. I've learnt a lot under his wing, not just in terms of photography. For your info, one of his current staff has worked for a top-notch studio before joining him.
    He has even formed a private network for all his good ex-PAs as well as current PAs to share and to interact. This network is not just restricted to his staff. He'll invite any good people he happen to come across or good candidates(but unsuitable with regards to the time factor) from his interviews to join as well.

  12. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    mm..seems like he has had some run-ins with smart alecks assistants in the past, for him to think that way.

    but true, good assistants will always try to understand and adapt to different photographers' working style and workflow, instead of the other way around. then, perhaps if the assistant feels if he/she has something new to contribute, he might be able to share it with the photographer.

  13. #113
    Delson
    Guests

    Default

    So you guys think if i should be a full time PA and study at night? Alot of my question is not answer, dont mind me asking again.

    1) what is the job scope apart from carry stuff?
    2) How is the pay
    3) Does it require you to work until very late? (cos im taking part time at night)

  14. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    85

    Default

    i've heard geoff ang is looking for a second assistant

  15. #115
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    85

    Default

    "You can try find Lance Lee at www.offstone.com. Experience is never a problem and he is always looking for assistants who can work for free." from- yezrah

    im sorry, even if you have no experience nothing at all... never ever NEVER work for free...
    this is a matter of self respect... dont listen to the BS abt gaining experience and learning... you can learn from reading a book... but never work for free... respect yourself.

  16. #116
    Member kijer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    shifted to bt merah
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    mm..seems like he has had some run-ins with smart alecks assistants in the past, for him to think that way.

    but true, good assistants will always try to understand and adapt to different photographers' working style and workflow, instead of the other way around. then, perhaps if the assistant feels if he/she has something new to contribute, he might be able to share it with the photographer.
    i not surprised. when i went down i discover he is a family fren. and he still bother to invite me to join his pool of ex-PA when they get 2gether. he also share his knowledge other than photog with us like meeting us up with other good people in design (i m in dmd/nyp).
    were u 1 of the smarty aleks?

  17. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kijer
    i not surprised. when i went down i discover he is a family fren. and he still bother to invite me to join his pool of ex-PA when they get 2gether. he also share his knowledge other than photog with us like meeting us up with other good people in design (i m in dmd/nyp).
    were u 1 of the smarty aleks?
    i don't know what is his or your interpretation of a smarty aleks, but nah, i'm not experienced enough.

    i sense that you are unconsciously defending him, though no one has made any remarks against him. (if that's not the case, i'm sorry i assumed wrongly)

    we are trying to promote a positive, sharing and learning experience here, hope you can join us, too.

    welcome, by the way!

  18. #118

    Default Re: network for photographers' assistants

    Count me in!

  19. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: network for photographers' assistants

    Quote Originally Posted by Delson
    So you guys think if i should be a full time PA and study at night? Alot of my question is not answer, dont mind me asking again.

    1) what is the job scope apart from carry stuff?
    2) How is the pay
    3) Does it require you to work until very late? (cos im taking part time at night)
    job scope varies from photographer to photographer, company to company. some photographers DO just limit your scope to carrying stuff around. please refer to some of our earlier posts regarding your first question.

    pay varies from photographer to photographer, company to company ... general advice, take it as being paid for learning.

    some jobs might stretch overtime, some jobs might start very early in the morning, some might end very late. if you have prior commitments, better let the photographer know beforehand, or make arrangements on your side. generally, commercial photographers work within normal working hours (+/-)

    hope i have answered your questions satisfactorily. feel free to clarify..

  20. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands,Singapore
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: network for photographers' assistants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    Anyone with extensive studio experience? I have a lobang for a full time assistant job with a very famous fashion photographer.

    Need to be passionate and humble.

    I have no particular experience,but willing to learn...

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •