Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 520252829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Network for photographers' assistants

Default Re: network for photographers' assistants

Quote Originally Posted by LucidaM
    This is really a good thread because at times I really need good PA for commercial jobs.I would prefer those that are experience in studio equipment and Mac. Best if I can get to know someone who is familiar with HMI and grip. Must be technically inclined and strong. Most of all, someone who is available when I need them. At times, I have shoot that stretch 4-7 days and occasionally overseas shoot.
    the original intent of the network is to be a support group for aspiring photographers and industry-related personnel to learn and grow together.

but i'm sure this can also be a convenient source for readily available and enthusiastic assistants, especially for those on a freelance basis.

assistants are hard to come by nowadays?

upz for you!=)

Stereo, when you start contacting your dear assistants?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    the original intent of the network is to be a support group for aspiring photographers and industry-related personnel to learn and grow together.

but i'm sure this can also be a convenient source for readily available and enthusiastic assistants, especially for those on a freelance basis.

assistants are hard to come by nowadays?

upz for you!=)
    So sorry, didn't realised this is your network and not what I initially thought, a PA network to link them with jobs. I was DEAD wronged!

Quote Originally Posted by LucidaM
    So sorry, didn't realised this is your network and not what I initially thought, a PA network to link them with jobs. I was DEAD wronged!
    no worries!

we don't actually mind 'lobangs' like this. it's really a good opportunity for some of us to work with commercial professionals.

i'm sorry if my post earlier made it sound like we don't welcome posts like that.

afterall..

looking for people having the same vocation as mentioned above...hope to establish some kind of network to exchange ideas, ideals, job opportunities and so on. can pm or post replies here, as long can keep in touch. hear from you soon!

upz for you! =)
    Last edited by Stereobox; 8th March 2006 at 12:58 AM.

Re: network for photographers' assistants
    1. stereobox (photographer's girlfriend's boyfriend, also friend to photographer's girlfriend's friends)
    2. angelzhou ( not photograpahers' assistant but photographer's girlfriend, can also rite? =p )
    3. yezrah (photographer's girlfriend's friend cum photographer's friend, whom happened also to be a photographer)
    4. littledigitalartist
    5. unseen (photographer's girlfriend's friend cum photographer's friend, but more of a kaypoh than anything else)
    6. p.k (freelancer: photographer, photographer's assistant, graphic designer)[
    7.b&s (friend of photog assistant & his gf and the photog)
    8. vince123123 (friend of the kaypoh!)
    9. redstone (photographer's girlfriend's friend n amateur who loves documenting the cityscape and abstract and architecture photography and looking to improve his skills )
    10.ling13 (Freelance Assistant photographer/ Freelance Photographer)

I am keen to be an assistant from .. Late May to Early August (2mths) after my exams

time from as early as 8am to 2pm ONLY as I am working from 3pm onwards

can drop me a mail to discuss at soey1401@gmail.com

tks for reading

i'm sorry if my post earlier made it sound like we don't welcome posts like that.

afterall..
    Please don't say that, I think its me who sound unfriendly. Million of apologies. Anyway, nice chatting with you. If you happens to know any experience FREELANCE PA, please PM me. Gracies. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by simon80
    I am keen to be an assistant from .. Late May to Early August (2mths) after my exams

time from as early as 8am to 2pm ONLY as I am working from 3pm onwards

can drop me a mail to discuss at soey1401@gmail.com

tks for reading
    Dear Simon80, if I ever need a PA (Photographer assistant) or SA (Studio assistant) I would prefer someone who can work long hours for one even though it could be a few hours shoot. I don't need someone who help load up those equipment, help a bit on the set and go for another appointment and leave me to wrap up the set. How would the client look at me or the photographer that hired you? Worst, if any photographer hired you for say 9am-1pm and the shoot has to be extended, you would leave the photographer with NO option at all. Two, being a PA is not necessary holding reflector that simple. A c-stand will do just that job. A good PA must know what the photographer need and all the terms when he or she asked for especially in Advertising Photography. I don't know how much you know, since you have to work from 3pm I assume you are not experience in my field. Perhaps, someone here might need your help someday if your timing is fine with them. Cheers

yah .. i know quite hard
    no harm trying

don want to slack off the mornings during holiday
    better to do something then to sleep away
    Last edited by simon80; 8th March 2006 at 02:05 PM.

i guess there are a lot of type of PA just like photographer.

Got cameraman pretend to be photographer, got barang carriers pretend to be PA too.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    i guess there are a lot of type of PA just like photographer.

Got cameraman pretend to be photographer, got barang carriers pretend to be PA too.
    Then if I join I confirm become 'trainee' liao lo...
    Need to learn from a shifu!

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Then if I join I confirm become 'trainee' liao lo...
    Need to learn from a shifu!
    sometimes i just so worked up lah.

of course anyone can name themselves, but just hope that the standard is THERE. Not trying to be elitist but somehow feel seeing a lot of word being misused.

I am looking for some freelance assisting work. I have alot of experience.

Familiar with large format, medium format and 35mm. Experience with hot lights and stobes.

Hit me up if you guys need an experienced assistant.

upz again =)

i have had people asking me for advice on assisting since the creation of this thread...

this is going to be the best advice i can give.

Know who you are assisting.

ultimately, just whom is it you are really assisting?
    are you assisting the photographer (and go home at the end of the day), or are you assisting the most important person of all .... YOURSELF.

end of the day, don't take anyone's word for it. be sure of what you are doing and where you are going. nobody's going to be your 'assistant' for that.

never forget that. if you decide to start in photography by assisting, make it the most "worth it" experience you ever get in your career.

Good advised.

Adding to that, I think a 100% commitment to the job is important especially if you are new because you may be spending a a lot of time with the photographer or learning from the seniors. In the past, I remember me and another 4-5 assistants would stay back and exchanged notes till 10 or 11pm on the day's shoot. Tired but fun indeed if you are desperate to learn.
    A friend of mine went for an interview with this top photographer in sg and he was told by the photographer that he is looking for 'someone he could married and lived together with'.
    For that I totally agree, to an assistant it might just be a sojourn, an academy to learn what they have never been taught in schools but to a photographer - it is business. They don't need someone who just carry stuffs - a donkey would be efficient.
    They need someone who knows their styles, pro-actives and learn fast to be an assistant. Not someone who will snatch away their clients in future but it happens all the time.
    In Thailand, I've seen the best and worked with the best crews.
    I'm not sure about sg now but in Bkk, as long as the tripod is moved all assistants would be running like red ants. Their first thing is to make sure that the photographer is comfortable, if the photographer has to shoot from a high angle under the sun. It would be done in mere 2 mins with ladder, umbrella and shades all setup without speaking a word. Or if the photographer has to shoot from a low angle, crusions would be laid on the floor or boxes stand by waiting for the confirmed angle.
    These are people who never even step into high school or wanted to be a photographer. They are just workers with the right attitudes or perhaps living to make ends meet but professional. I know one that drives a Toyota Wish - same as my client in Bkk.

O.T.:
    Anyway, things are in bigger scales in Bkk. A Studio could be a building of 2 storeys or 4 buildings of 4 storeys that I've seen. So, can one imagine the scales in China?

Just my 2 baht worth.

I don't see the point of comparing the local scene with overseas shooting experience. It is a totally different market and working with people from a totally different culture. Imagine our school teachers were to teach our students to behave like ants in school, it is a totally different growing up environment. Indeed, local assistants are so much more educated and it is only natural to have higher expectations. Though we may respect others for their professionalism, we should also respect ourselves for we came in as educated people working as assistants.

Everything is bigger and better overseas, no doubt. Who gets aroused sitting at home? I am also interested in sticking one foot into the overseas market. However, mere size does not suggest anything for competition may be ten fold as well. At the end of the day, nothing matters so long it makes money.

From my point of view, don't even consider becoming an assistant in the first place unless you need money to buy food. Don't be a donkey or force yourself into marrying a photographer if there is no love at all. Get a formal education, join clubs and societies and practise like hell. If you cork up the show and die, die as a photographer. If you die many times and still can be a photographer, then you are fated to be one.

Im interested in this PA thing. i finished my school allredy and now waiting for ns to call me up. Cant really find a job now so im free on weekdays and weekends.
    feel free to drop by an email sg_me31@hotmail.com.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    If you die many times and still can be a photographer, then you are fated to be one.
    woah! so its all down to fate ah!

nothing to do, i upz again!

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 520252829303132 ... LastLast