Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 111619202122232631 ... LastLast

Thread: Network for photographers' assistants

Default Re: network for photographers' assistants

seng > I live in hougang too and as far as i know they selling some sushi in hougang mall ( but v limited type ) in NTUC. Take a look there.

okay, anyone wanna meet up at MRT?

and anyone kind enough to share the DSLR? lol otherwise no point i'm coming... =p

yezrah > my cousin also single hor? u interested or not? *kick choo to yezrah*

still can make space for me to poke my head in to shoot?
    what lens should i bring?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    seng > I live in hougang too and as far as i know they selling some sushi in hougang mall ( but v limited type ) in NTUC. Take a look there.
    I know, but as far as i know, they stopped making new one after 8. So by the time i go down after 9plus, don't think that's alot choices left. So don't think wanna risk it, if not only can shoot at the props without sushi.

okay, anyone wanna meet up at MRT?

and anyone kind enough to share the DSLR? lol otherwise no point i'm coming... =p

yezrah > my cousin also single hor? u interested or not? *kick choo to yezrah*
    No lah. After you post my picture up on clubsnap, I should be getting better offers. I am getting all excited already. Looking forward to be your model.

Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    No lah. After you post my picture up on clubsnap, I should be getting better offers. I am getting all excited already. Looking forward to be your model.
    really ah? i only shoot nude u know =p how how how how how? *wink wink*

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    still can make space for me to poke my head in to shoot?
    what lens should i bring?
    NO, u cannot come. because you are unseen. later we bum to you accidentally how?

really ah? i only shoot nude u know =p how how how how how? *wink wink*
    you mean when you are photographing people, you don't wear anything??

or you mean you only shoot nude subjects

or both?

behave yourself, cousin!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    you mean when you are photographing people, you don't wear anything??

or you mean you only shoot nude subjects

or both?

behave yourself, cousin!
    lol lol lol lol lol

i shoot NUDE SUBJECTS *sweat drops*

no wonder my subjects all still-life =p but anyway, if good people volunteer i dont mind trying my nokia *upz* for portraiture

Hi Guys,i think you should read about Our Local Photographer John Clang with an interview PDN Online Mag.

http://pdngallery.com/global/en/prof...4/index2.jhtml

You should read about the Q&A section.This is part of the interview.

PDN: And so did that become your first assisting job in Singapore?

CLANG: Yes, I was first assistant to a fine-art photographer who owns a well-known gallery featuring contemporary Chinese artists. Working for this particular man was a great learning experience because I had to set everything out for him and he would just tell me "That's wrong" or "That's right." My first day working with him was on a yacht and I was very eager to please him. I grabbed all of the clothes involved in the shoot and tried to carry everything in one hand; I didn't know that it had all been ironed out and that there were no irons on the yacht. Everything got rumpled and wrinkled. He just gave me a stern look. It was the most terrifying day of my life. But I learned a lot assisting him: from the lenses that he chose to the focusing he used to the models he selected, I did it all. I learned more about my craft from assisting than I ever did from school.

PDN: What, if any, differences are there for a photographer working here as compared to working in Asia?

CLANG: I always tell my friends that New York is heaven for photographers because as a photographer here you have more pride and are more respected. In New York, you are chosen to do a job based on your visual sense, based on your style. You don't feel like you are being compromised. In New York you can rent anything on a shoot, you hire a producer, you hire an assistant, you get three or four assistants, all the equipment. . .it's all paid for by the client. On top of that, you can set your own fee. But in Singapore there's a huge overhead involved: There I had to have a studio and I had to hire three or four assistants, full time, on payroll and I had to have all the equipment myself. Over there, I had to keep working, keep taking jobs, even if I wasn't crazy about them, so I would have money to live on.

Wow i did not know in New York,The client pay for the assistant Photograpger,not the photographer pay the assistant

If that is the case that mean the photographer will get pay more just to shoot,the rest i wonder is it the client pay for all the expense

JOHN CLANG,
    Photographer

1. Assist, Assist and Assist!
    The best start for a young photographer is to be an assistant to a photographer you really like. Even the biggest stars of today were someone's assistants yesterday.

2. Put a real effort into every job you take, even the ones you're not that excited about. Each and every job adds that much more experience to your resume.

3. Take charge on a shoot. You don't need to be a jerk but you shouldn't be a pushover either. You want people to listen to you, to hear your ideas and respect them.

4. Get your work out there, whether it is a single image in a sourcebook or an ad in a photo magazine or a piece in a gallery show. Do whatever it takes to have your work be seen by the people you want to see it; that's the most important thing.

5. Go one step further and create a small promo booklet and have it printed overseas, perhaps in Asia, where the cost is much cheaper than in the U.S. Ship it over to the U.S and have it distributed it to everyone you want to work with.

The Wisdom of Experience

Successful photographers recall the best advice they ever received, and share some lessons they learned on their own.

Advice from The Pro

Lois Greenfield
    "What proved to be the best advice was being inspired by Duane Michals. He was giving a lecture at MIT to a crowd of Minor White/Zone system enthusiasts and provocatively asked the audience, 'If all your life means to you is water running over rocks, then photograph it. But as for me, I want to photograph something that would not have existed without me.' I advise young photographers to cultivate their own unique vision, whatever that may be, after they go through the sometimes necessary evolutionary stages of emulating others. First of all, the world doesn't need more imagery that traffics in overused visual cliches. Secondly, from a commercial point of view, a photographer with a unique style gives a client a convincing reason to hire them or publish their image."

Chris Rainier
    "One of the best experiences for me was working with Ansel Adams and having his great friends passing through at the famous cocktail hours. Even more influential than things they said were the lives they led. The clear message I received was, 'Be in for the long haul. Put off short-term gains for long-term gains.' I saw people that had vision and knew that they were going to be doing this as a lifetime's passion. I think people, especially in our instantaneous culture, are looking for instantaneous results. Art is a way of life. You set your goals in creating a body of work that speaks about who you are and what you believe in, a unique voice. That is the only way one can withstand the challenges, the pitfalls, the insecurities of our field."

Sean Kernan
    "I was drawn to the art, the exploration of photography, to what it could clarify about the world. I now feel that I didn't follow that impulse with as much ferocity as I should have. While commercial work fed me, I think it cost me something, too. So what I'd say is that no matter what else you have to do to live, keep the artistic impulse primary, stay awake and do the work of discovery. Everything else will follow. Do your work!"

Jay Maisel
    "The advice I'd offer to younger photographers used to be, 'Someday you'll take a terrific picture and to avoid having it scratched, lost, etc. Learn to make a good dupe.' Nowadays, however, my advice is 'Don't be seduced by equipment, think of content, not just form.'"

Arnold Newman
    "I had been an art student and a manager of this little chain studio," recalls Arnold Newman. "The owner turned to me and said, 'Arnold, do you want to do just what you have to do or do you really want to learn?' From that day on I've taken that advice. You can't learn unless you work your tail off."

Howard Schatz
    "My closest friend in the world was a photographer and he said to me 'I've made every mistake that can be made and therein lies the truth about learning.'"
    Kurt Markus
    "If I'm doing a picture with a person or if I'm going to a place to do some pictures, I try to spend more time being open to it instead of being fixed in my own point of view. When you do pictures long enough, you see yourself in every single shot. You know where you stand, how far from your subject, how you frame. That gets boring. I want to be more surprised, more interested in what's outside, not what's in me."

Jim Brandenburg
    "I don't think my success is based on money or talent. It came from having strong, deep passions for my subject matter. If you have a strong voice and a strong feeling, you can overcome a weaker talent."

Chip Simons
    "If you take pictures of things that get you excited, then other people will probably get excited too."

The Emerging Artist Series!

http://pdngallery.com/global/en/prof...4/index2.jhtml

This is some of teh Video clips of interview John Clang.

*UPDATE*

i have recce-ed the location...met up the very COOL and generous owner (Tong)...and i'm very, very sure you guys will like the studio!

got a bit lost (bad sense of direction) but found it in the end. details on how to get there later.

here is the plan...

Advance party (angel and me) will collect the equip in the morning (9am), then proceed to the studio on our own. Main body will meet up at KALLANG MRT at 0930hrs and proceed to the studio from there. Can i appoint an IC to take charge? (any volunteer?)

we will try to gather by 0945 - 1000hrs.

Directions:
    From KALLANG MRT, take any bus from the bus stop outside Macdonald's. alight ONE stop away. then cross the road to 26,28,30 Kallang Place (see map http://www.printzone.com.sg/contact/contact.htm) once you guys reach there, IC please give me a call and i will give u more detailed directions.

All participants please PM me again your contacts so i can pass them to the IC.

See you guys Sunday!
    Last edited by Stereobox; 7th October 2005 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ling13
    CLANG: I always tell my friends that New York is heaven for photographers because as a photographer here you have more pride and are more respected. In New York, you are chosen to do a job based on your visual sense, based on your style. You don't feel like you are being compromised. In New York you can rent anything on a shoot, you hire a producer, you hire an assistant, you get three or four assistants, all the equipment. . .it's all paid for by the client. On top of that, you can set your own fee. But in Singapore there's a huge overhead involved: There I had to have a studio and I had to hire three or four assistants, full time, on payroll and I had to have all the equipment myself. Over there, I had to keep working, keep taking jobs, even if I wasn't crazy about them, so I would have money to live on.
    Although i'm not a pro, in Singapore, i think it is going to be hard to convince clients to pay for all your photographic expenses ON TOP of the photographer's own fees. ("what do you mean? i thought everything is included in the price?")

("so you are a photographer..where is your studio? huh? what do you mean you don't have a studio?") etc etc

i think it is a very very different mindset of the client towards photography in singapore.

just an opinion from an assistant's point-of-view.

*point upward* provided i wake up hor =p

Will do. Pass me our friends' contacts.

yezrah > i supposed u agree be my model tomolo... hmmm... *evil grinn*

yezrah > i supposed u agree be my model tomolo... hmmm... *evil grinn*
    Please be gentle with me.

dun worry i take excellent care of my model...

ok, great..Yezrah has volunteered to be the IC for Sunday and also our nude model

guys, please don't eat the sushi and drink the sake along the way.

stereo > in this case we might as well experience wif the 'sushi concept' yezrah said last time... mmmmm... v exciting photoshoot. not everyday can get a nude model =p

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 111619202122232631 ... LastLast