Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast

Thread: Network for photographers' assistants

Default Re: network for photographers' assistants

great news. plan more activity so we can share experiences.
    Looking forwards for the next meeting.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Default Re: very good news

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    hi everyone!

i have received a very kind PM from a fellow CS-er, CTKG, who has offered a very special arrangement for our group.

what exactly it is, i shall keep it a secret (to protect his business interest) until something more concrete is established.

just too excited to share this piece of news with you guys
    Sounds cool. Cant wait till then.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    hi everyone!

i have received a very kind PM from a fellow CS-er, CTKG, who has offered a very special arrangement for our group.

what exactly it is, i shall keep it a secret (to protect his business interest) until something more concrete is established.

just too excited to share this piece of news with you guys
    too bad the last time I had to leave earlier in order to catch the last public transport back.
    keep me informed about new developments.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    too bad the last time I had to leave earlier in order to catch the last public transport back.
    keep me informed about new developments.
    thanks.
    thanks for letting me noe bro... too bad got exam.

Wow cant wait for the next meeting.Pls do let us know asap

I have been a Assistants Photographer for 5 years,been assist 4 photographer since,well to me that most things i learn is not to shoot photo,but the process that you have to assist and at the same time learn from them,is a very tough job,but hey i have learn from diff things from diff photographer,each photographer have their own style.Now i am assist Ruth Soh,been assist her for the past 1 and the half years,i have learn a lot of things from her.All these i guess money cant buy experience.

She is one of my fav Photographer who i want to work with,so i am lucky to be her assistants .I just started out my own company,doing more of outdoor shoot,Like events,Dinner n Dance etc.Buiness have been slow,not easy when u are doing on your own.well i hope that slowly my business will come in.

I hope that the next meeting,i can meet more ppl so that i can share with you guys the experience that i have go through.If u have any question,pls do PM me and let me know.

ling is a very experienced assistant, so don't feel shy to approach her for advice

i started my working career in photography as a wedding photographer. my two years in the field was very beneficial, as i am a very shy person by nature. during the course of my work, i have learnt to open up and have met people from all walks of life.

after 2 years in the field, i felt i wasn't making any progress photographically. whenever friends introduce me as a 'photographer'...somehow i felt inadequate. also, at the time, there seem to be a sudden influx of wedding 'photojournalists' in the market offering all kinds of 'styles'. all these made wonder, is this all that professional photography can offer me? what can i do to go the extra distance?

i decided to quit doing weddings full-time and go into assisting. instantly it made a difference in the way i view professional photography. horizons started opening up and i realise i have a long way to go if i want to stay in the field. i realise commercial photography is something that really interest me. for the past year i have been assisting a photographer who is very strong in the field of architectural interiors, food and lifestyle photography. since then, i have joined my present company as a fulltime assistant photographer. i have more responsibilities now and i can say i'm learning much more than before and have the chance to reinforce the lessons and theories i've learn so far.

as for the future, i hope to be able to learn abit of fashion photography. so ling...got any lobang, do remember me :P
    Last edited by Stereobox; 15th September 2005 at 08:49 PM.

Assistant Photographer's pay is very low anywhere. Enough to survive with parental help but never enough to buy the kind of photography equipments required in the commercial field. When it comes to building portfolio and spending on photography opportunities, the pay is again never enough to cover unless there are contacts and free resources to tap into.

Start off young as a AP still got hope. After a certain age, it will be too late to gain the experience needed and the source of income can be just a way to delay your own untimely death in this field.

exactly, and that's why nobody ever said there is a shortcut.

and that's the reason why this thread was started. whatever little support or help we can get, it is appreciated. this is also why i invited (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....6&postcount=39) people from other related trades to join in as well. to colloborate, share, discuss and so forth. it may not mean much or worth much to anybody, but at least the chance n opportunity is there.

as for the good news, i think it is time to share it with you guys cktg has offered his studio space (for FREE!) for those experienced assistants among us, to try out things and shoots (subject to availability and his discretion of course). this is indeed a good chance for people like us to build on our portfolio.

fortunately, i work with a very, VERY good boss who supports the development of his assistants. without his equipment, i would not have pulled this test shoot off (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=150975)

so, the chances are there. it's up to us to grab it and make things work. some of us might fail, some of us might make it..but important thing is, if you think u can, .. just do it! if we fail, at least we don't regret not ever trying.

so..the special project i was talking about ... would anybody like to contribute any project themes? i could discuss it with cktg about usage of his studio space

I agree with Yezrah,some month u will earn more ,some month u will earn less ,and some more no CPF ,that is why is good if u start young.I have to depend on my photographer support,so the more she have shoot,the more she call me.Then have to save and buget a lot of your money if u want to buy the equiment.At times the money is just enough to live on,unless you work as a full time assistant,then at least have a full time pay and got CPF.

But then again,freelnace or full time assistant,we still get to learn a lot of things from the photographer.so from assistant to photographer,you will know that it is not easy to come out of your own.Like me,i just started out,i cant even afford a assistant on my own .sometime i just ask my friend to help me cos she wants to know how assistant work .

Perhaps it is a good time to sign up now. Though everything is not confirmed yet, we can start off a list by indicating our name and proposed theme first.

1. Yezrah (Wedding,food)-Photographer
    Last edited by Yezrah; 17th September 2005 at 12:12 AM.

Perhaps it is a good time to sign up now. Though everything is not confirmed yet, we can start off a list by indicating our name and proposed theme first.

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    2.ling13 (Fashion)

yea! let's get this thing going! perhaps it would be good to add in what 'role' you will be contributing to the project as well (photographer, stylist, makeup, designer etc)

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    2. Ling13 (fashion)
    3. Stereobox (fashion/conceptual portraiture) - photographer/assistant

yea! let's get this thing going! perhaps it would be good to add in what 'role' you will be contributing to the project as well (photographer, stylist, makeup, designer etc)

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    2. Ling13 (fashion)
    4. damian77 (portrait/Architecture) - photographer/assistant

Hey Guys,
    Good effort, go on and shoot more, try to learn from your mistake. Need advice call me yah!
    btw, I'm looking for a full time assistant to work with me, know of any one pls pm me. I'll be busy the next few days so if u call me, I may not b free to answer your call so it is better to pm or sms me.
    meanwhile... have fun with your project.

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    2. Ling13 (fashion)
    5. user12343 (portraiture/landscape) - photographer/assistant/runner/BSBH

Quote Originally Posted by user12343

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    2. Ling13 (fashion)
    bao sua bao hai

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    2. Ling13 (fashion) -photographer/assistant

Quote Originally Posted by ling13

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    6. Firestone - Retoucher

1. Yezrah (Wedding)
    6. Firestone - Retoucher
    7. AngelZhou ( narrative / conceptual photography and abstract still life ) - photographer

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 51013141516172025 ... LastLast