Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: My first DSLR

  1. #41

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    but TS at first wanted something larger than a 550D

    not good for Canon sales if TS buys a 550D
    Something larger? I hear the 7D calling

  2. #42
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    but TS at first wanted something larger than a 550D

    not good for Canon sales if TS buys a 550D
    Maybe he'll have to start pumping iron

  3. #43

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Maybe he'll have to start pumping iron
    just recommend TS to get a 7D with 70-200 L

    and carry it everyday

    no tripod? no problem!

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewhitefox View Post
    hmm in that case, coupled together with the 60D, it would be like 1kg?
    now i'm considering if i should switch to the 550D..
    TS.. buy cam body that u comfortable with..
    18-135mm is more versatile than kit lens..

    the price for cam at IT show is RRP (it give useless? extra gifts tho), u can get better price buying at cam store.

    good luck
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  5. #45

    Default

    I will not advice 18-135 but instead 18-55.

    Likely will ended up f2.8 lens & sell away 18-135.

    Why not start with 18-55 & save for near future upgrade.

    I am quite sure this day will arrival soon.

    My 2 cents.

  6. #46

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    woah... 7D is out for me haha.. comparing only those 2 models -> 60D and 550D.

  7. #47

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    TS.. buy cam body that u comfortable with..
    18-135mm is more versatile than kit lens..

    the price for cam at IT show is RRP (it give useless? extra gifts tho), u can get better price buying at cam store.

    good luck
    Sorry for asking, but isn't the 18-135 a kit lens?

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewhitefox

    Sorry for asking, but isn't the 18-135 a kit lens?
    Dependcon the model you are getting. Some models do not offer the 18-135 as a kit lens

  9. #49

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Dependcon the model you are getting. Some models do not offer the 18-135 as a kit lens
    yup, the 60D offers that as one of the kit lens

  10. #50

    Cool Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewhitefox View Post
    Sorry for asking, but isn't the 18-135 a kit lens?
    Hi ts just go with Wat u find is comfortable. If Ur friends are using canon then go with canon for the convenient. As u guys can share lens if they are using the same type of cam.

    Kit Len 18-135 shld be good for a start. Then slowly go for better Len. Haha like me now.. Start with kit Len very happy. Bought a prime 35mmf1.8..
    Olympus OMD E-M5 kit len. Letting nikkor 35mm dx f1.8g

  11. #51
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Terry, suggest you start off with a 18-55mm so that you don't have to put up with the 1.2kg. It's no joke hanging that weight around your neck for hours.

    You can later invest in a 55-200mm if the need arise

  12. #52

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Terry, suggest you start off with a 18-55mm so that you don't have to put up with the 1.2kg. It's no joke hanging that weight around your neck for hours.

    You can later invest in a 55-200mm if the need arise
    Thanks. Seems my choice is clear by now. 60D with 18-55mm

    I can probably borrow or get a 2nd hand 18-135 from my friends. There are at least 2 or 3 of them who have them.

    The difference between the kit 1 (18-55) and kit 2 (18-135) is about $300 which I can save up for future upgrades.

  13. #53

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    You'll be able to do a lot more with a 18-135 than your Samsung.

    You can just snap on a Raynox 250 on your 18-135 and start shooting macro. Cost $120.
    Another qn. If i get the 18-55mm, can the lens work with this? Will there be any difference with this on the 18-55 and 18-135?

  14. #54

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by fishermen21 View Post
    Hi ts just go with Wat u find is comfortable. If Ur friends are using canon then go with canon for the convenient. As u guys can share lens if they are using the same type of cam.

    Kit Len 18-135 shld be good for a start. Then slowly go for better Len. Haha like me now.. Start with kit Len very happy. Bought a prime 35mmf1.8..
    it's Lens for singular and Lenses for plural. spell it correctly.

    and don't buy a brand just because your friends are using it. it's extremely rare for people to say "hey! take my lens. i don't mind" especially if it's pricey.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewhitefox View Post
    Another qn. If i get the 18-55mm, can the lens work with this? Will there be any difference with this on the 18-55 and 18-135?
    You will get lower magnification with the 18-55mm.

    Picture of 18-55mm with Raynox 250

    Last edited by Diavonex; 15th February 2011 at 02:14 PM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Terry, you can also simply screw a +10 HOYA Macro filter onto your 18-55mm. You'll need the following:

    1. Step down ring (58mm to 55mm) $10

    2. HOYA Macro filter 55mm (2 element) $86

    Picture shows a 18-55mm with a HOYA +10 Macro filter

    Last edited by Diavonex; 15th February 2011 at 02:51 PM.

  17. #57

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Welcome to CS
    7D | 17-50 f2.8 | 30 f1.4 | 70-200L | flickr

  18. #58
    Senior Member Diavonex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Admiralty
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    This shot is taken with a 18-55 + Diopter 10 HOYA Macro filter. No cropping and straight from the camera (resized).


  19. #59

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Hi all, thanks for the valuable input. Am now a 60D + 18-55mm owner

  20. #60

    Default Re: My first DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewhitefox View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the valuable input. Am now a 60D + 18-55mm owner
    congrats!

    you're still a better buyer and clearer about what you want than the s**t-stirrer in the other forum. enjoy your new camera! oh btw,

    we have many threads and outings. do join in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •