Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first DSLR

Default Re: My first DSLR

If you are very sure you want to shoot landscapes, animals and insects, you'll GENERALLY want:

-A UWA zoom (Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Tokina 12-24 f4)
    -A tele macro prime (Tamron 90mm Macro, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro)

Depending on the types of animals you shoot, you might want to get a 70-200 also. If you are very sure of what you want to shoot, you should jump straight to the better lenses and not play with the kit lens.

A good way to judge what lenses you need are to look at the focal lengths you shoot the most on your point and shoot (look at your "picks" and see the focal length). If you are shooting a lot at the wide end, you need a UWA. If you shoot at the tele end, you need a tele zoom/prime. If you don't shoot at say, 50mm, then you don't need 50mm. Just stating an example here, everyone is different in terms of their style, so get the equipment that suits your style. Don't just blindly get the lenses people recommend, if the lens does not fit your style, you'll end up wasting money. That's why take my recommendations with a pinch of salt, look at your current photos and see the kinds of focal lengths you like to shoot at.

Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    ..............A good way to judge what lenses you need are to look at the focal lengths you shoot the most on your point and shoot (look at your "picks" and see the focal length). If you are shooting a lot at the wide end, you need a UWA. If you shoot at the tele end, you need a tele zoom/prime. If you don't shoot at say, 50mm, then you don't need 50mm. Just stating an example here, everyone is different in terms of their style, so get the equipment that suits your style. Don't just blindly get the lenses people recommend, if the lens does not fit your style, you'll end up wasting money. That's why take my recommendations with a pinch of salt, look at your current photos and see the kinds of focal lengths you like to shoot at.
    Point and Shoot have tiny sensor; the focal length shown is not equal to that of a DSLR.

Point and shoot: 5.2mm to 78mm is 31mm to 465mm (35mm equivalent)
    Last edited by Diavonex; 14th February 2011 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Point and Shoot have tiny sensor; the focal length shown is not equal to that of a DSLR.

Point and shoot: 5.2mm to 78mm is 31mm to 465mm (35mm equivalent)
    Yup, but computers do show 35mm equivalent focal length

Yup, but computers do show 35mm equivalent focal length
    The EXIF file will not show the 35mm equivalent.

ok i took a look at a small sample of the photos i took. The focal length states 6mm. What does that imply? Are there lenses that are less than 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by littlewhitefox View Post
    ok i took a look at a small sample of the photos i took. The focal length states 6mm. What does that imply? Are there lenses that are less than 10mm?
    On point and shoots, yes.

To see the 35mm equivalent focal length, you must go to the folder where your photos are in, then click group by>more, then select 35mm focal length.

On point and shoots, yes.

To see the 35mm equivalent focal length, you must go to the folder where your photos are in, then click group by>more, then select 35mm focal length.
    This only groups them according to the focal length. But how does it relate finding the lens suitable for me?

I a few photos to share that were taken using my compact camera and handphone. Maybe you can advise me after looking at them?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-am-te...7625859896215/

you like landscapes. but before you take another breath:

any lens can take a landscape shot. it just depends how far away you're standing to frame the shot.

what i would suggest for you first: you like landscapes. many people like landscapes. but how you would separate your landscape shot from the others is your technical/theoretical knowledge of exposure and exposure techniques.

therefore, before you ask what lens to get, i would suggest a camera with a kit lens and practice first. there's no point in getting a Wide Angle lens for your DSLR then just shooting on Auto. it defeats the purpose of getting one, and you would be better off with a compact in this case.

so before you plonk down your moolah on the counter, think about this. a kit lens comes with the camera, and the 18mm at the widest for most kit lens is enough for your shots.

so practice first, before you make your lens purchase

This only groups them according to the focal length. But how does it relate finding the lens suitable for me?

I a few photos to share that were taken using my compact camera and handphone. Maybe you can advise me after looking at them?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-am-te...7625859896215/
    It appears the exif data is gone, so I don't know the focal length of the shots you have taken.

littlewhitefox, I believe you're using a Samsung Digimax S500

It zoom from 35mm to 105mm (35mm equivalent).

If you always shoot with your zoom at the minimum position, you're shooting at 35mm (35mm equivalent).

Thanks all for your feedback. As I am just starting on photography using a DSLR, I'll go with the kit lens (probably 18-135) first as I can see that I am still able to capture landscape photos like last time. I will venture into macro and better lenses once I am a little more comfortable with the camera. As for now, it's just the kit lens.

Thanks all for your feedback. As I am just starting on photography using a DSLR, I'll go with the kit lens (probably 18-135) first as I can see that I am still able to capture landscape photos like last time. I will venture into macro and better lenses once I am a little more comfortable with the camera. As for now, it's just the kit lens.
    You'll be able to do a lot more with a 18-135 than your Samsung.

You can just snap on a Raynox 250 on your 18-135 and start shooting macro. Cost $120.
    Last edited by Diavonex; 14th February 2011 at 09:45 PM.

You'll be able to do a lot more with a 18-135 than your Samsung.

You can just snap on a Raynox 250 on your 18-135 and start shooting macro. Cost $120.
    Sounds good. But i heard that it might cause vignetting on the 18-135?

Sounds good. But i heard that it might cause vignetting on the 18-135?
    You can give Jim Mcgill a call to verify the vignetting problem; I think the vignetting problem can be overcome once you zoom pass 50mm.

Jim Mcgill Tel: 63891734

Pse. also take note the 18-135 is 255gram heavier than the 18-55.

You can give Jim Mcgill a call to verify the vignetting problem; I think the vignetting problem can be overcome once you zoom pass 50mm.

Jim Mcgill Tel: 63891734

Pse. also take note the 18-135 is 255gram heavier than the 18-55.
    hmm in that case, coupled together with the 60D, it would be like 1kg?
    now i'm considering if i should switch to the 550D..

Canon 60D+18-135=1210grams

Canon 550D+18-135=985grams

hmm in that case, coupled together with the 60D, it would be like 1kg?
    now i'm considering if i should switch to the 550D..
    Nope, balance of weight is more important than total weight. Front heavy setups (lens heavier than camera body) will cause much more strain to the wrists than balanced and heavy setups. For instance, a D700 with a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII will cause less strain than a D40 + 70-200mm f2.8 VRII.

The 18-135 isn't that heavy of course, but in the future as you expand your lens collection and get a f2.8 zoom, you will not regret buying the 60D for a much more substantial grip and better balance of weight.

chottomatte kudasai! you guys are making the TS indecisive

TS: if you want something chunky go for the 7D

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    chottomatte kudasai! you guys are making the TS indecisive

TS: if you want something chunky go for the 7D
    My friend bought a Canon 550D with the 18-135 kit lens. He is now looking for a 18-55 because he find the 18-135 chunky and weighty.

Suggest TS goes down to Cannon and try out the combination before buying.
    Last edited by Diavonex; 15th February 2011 at 12:39 AM.

My friend bought a Canon 550D with the 18-135 kit lens. He is now looking for a 18-55 because he find the 18-135 chunky and weighty.

Suggest TS goes down to Cannon and try out the combination before buying.
    but TS at first wanted something larger than a 550D

not good for Canon sales if TS buys a 550D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast