Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: What Camera to get

  1. #1

    Default What Camera to get

    Hi guys. I'm new to this so hope you all can help me. I hope I can get some advice on what DSLR Camera to get with a budget of roughly $1500. I new to all this so please help me out. Thanks alot guys.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    I think its best to research on the brands, models, specs you like... go down to reputable stores, feel and touch them and ask questions... If there's one you like and it meets your budget, go for it. Remember to also read thru the forums to find out where not to shop for DSLRs.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Current model in the market are D7000 and 60D and their prices are around K2.2. Cheaper models are D3100 and 550D. You can shop at Funan to check prices and availability.

  4. #4

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Cool. Thanks. should be going down to funan to take a look.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Current model in the market are D7000 and 60D and their prices are around K2.2. Cheaper models are D3100 and 550D. You can shop at Funan to check prices and availability.
    Why limit to Nikon and Canon?
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by andyleeyh View Post
    Cool. Thanks. should be going down to funan to take a look.
    We have a sticky at the top of the Newbies corner called "FAQ: What DSLR to get?"

    Read it.
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    FYI, top image quality belongs to the Pentax K-5 now. Most features for the $$$ is with Sony.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

    We have a sticky at the top of the Newbies corner called "FAQ: What DSLR to get?"

    Read it.
    Thanks.
    Nikon 550D | EFS 18-55IS | EFS 55-250IS |

  9. #9

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    BTW, buy a DSLR based on your needs, not the pressure from others and heavy marketing activities.

    don't limit yourself to one or two brands. look at everything that'll suit your needs.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    keep in mind that there are also newer models launching so prices of the current models may drop

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by virtualme78
    keep in mind that there are also newer models launching so prices of the current models may drop
    Yah I know. So gonna go to funan to take a look 1st before buying anything.
    Nikon 550D | EFS 18-55IS | EFS 55-250IS |

  12. #12

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Best to get the camera u really love when u try it @ the stores and its within yr budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    We have a sticky at the top of the Newbies corner called "FAQ: What DSLR to get?"

    Read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    BTW, buy a DSLR based on your needs, not the pressure from others and heavy marketing activities.

    don't limit yourself to one or two brands. look at everything that'll suit your needs.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by altantic View Post
    Best to get the camera u really love when u try it @ the stores and its within yr budget.
    Thanks. Will do that really soon. Cant wait to get my 1st DSLR!

  14. #14

    Default

    Get a decent body & save for better lens.

    My 2 cents.

  15. #15

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Consider the whole system and not only the lens. I shall not state the brand (in case I influence you with the name) but I got a camera in 1979 and today I am very happy that I can still use both the lenses that I acquired then ( I had a very limited budget then), and they are still most loved pieces though manual ones. The old camera is no longer in use although fully functional because it is for film. I am keeping this camera to show my grandchildren who would probably be very curious as to how a film camera look like. Very old fashion thinking..... from old man. Happy choosing.

  16. #16
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by andyleeyh View Post
    Hi guys. I'm new to this so hope you all can help me. I hope I can get some advice on what DSLR Camera to get with a budget of roughly $1500. I new to all this so please help me out. Thanks alot guys.
    If you want to start out with kit lens, and entry level cameras, this is a list that you could look at:

    Canon 550/600D (not sure if 600D is out yet, it's just been announced, not many changes from 550D though)
    Nikon D3100/D90 (former has no AF motor on camera)
    Pentax K-x/K-r (former has no AF indicator on viewfinder)
    Sony A33/A55 (not exactly a DSLR, but quite close, more compact)
    Olympus entry level DSLRs (whatever they have these days, I don't really follow)
    Ditto for Sony, which also offers quite a range of entry level DSLRs, I understand

    All of these cameras can be used to take great pictures. It boils down to your personal preferences for handling/menu layouts. Perhaps you could take a quick look at DPReview and Imaging Resource to read up, and then head down to the shops, test out the cameras, see how they feel. You can even try asking some of the user groups when they have outings to cop a feel of their cameras and use it a bit more extensively.

    Hope this helps, cheers.

  17. #17
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by andyleeyh View Post
    Hi guys. I'm new to this so hope you all can help me. I hope I can get some advice on what DSLR Camera to get with a budget of roughly $1500. I new to all this so please help me out. Thanks alot guys.
    well there is a handful of entry levels dslr to choose from. Is there any particular model that you're looking at?

  18. #18

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    If you want to start out with kit lens, and entry level cameras, this is a list that you could look at:

    Canon 550/600D (not sure if 600D is out yet, it's just been announced, not many changes from 550D though)
    Nikon D3100/D90 (former has no AF motor on camera)
    Pentax K-x/K-r (former has no AF indicator on viewfinder)
    Sony A33/A55 (not exactly a DSLR, but quite close, more compact)
    Olympus entry level DSLRs (whatever they have these days, I don't really follow)
    Ditto for Sony, which also offers quite a range of entry level DSLRs, I understand

    All of these cameras can be used to take great pictures. It boils down to your personal preferences for handling/menu layouts. Perhaps you could take a quick look at DPReview and Imaging Resource to read up, and then head down to the shops, test out the cameras, see how they feel. You can even try asking some of the user groups when they have outings to cop a feel of their cameras and use it a bit more extensively.

    Hope this helps, cheers.
    Sound advice. Read up in the Dpreview first. Do not rush. Think of what interest you since there are so many areas and topics. Then try to look at some pictures taken by different cameras. Each brand has it's special color scheme for example some are more green/yellow etc but all these can now be PP. If still not sure, talk to people then go to the shop to see what fits your hands. Each of the guys who own certain brand will tell you 10 reasons why their choice is correct and best.

  19. #19
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Quote Originally Posted by KYFoong View Post
    Each of the guys who own certain brand will tell you 10 reasons why their choice is correct and best.
    ..And paint their own personal reasons as logical ones.

    I mean, frankly speaking, "Nikon's handling is good" is a subjective statement.

    As opposed to "Canon's entry level cameras tend to be quite a bit small for the typical male hand" - at least in the past.

  20. #20

    Default Re: What Camera to get

    Welcome to CS
    7D | 17-50 f2.8 | 30 f1.4 | 70-200L | flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •