Thread: virgin post and qn on Image Size :)

Default virgin post and qn on Image Size :)

Hihi CS~

alright i am quite a newbie to snapping and certainly hope to go further into this wonderful hobby

i am having great moments doing self learning from guides in my phone and informative posts from the seniors here.

so... thank you thank you~!

ok so now a simple question.. i shoot in raw and my camera has the choice of choosing 3 diff image size L, M & S.

thinking bigger should be better, (noob or not XD) i set it on L.

but the thing is, when i reach home and do resizing, since i cant possibly upload 4288x2848 size pictures to the internet, i am always dissapointed by the outcome. the quality seems to drop.

will there be a quality diff if i set it to smaller size like 2144 x 1424?
    mochi~ mochi~ mochi~
    D300 noob.. :3

Default Re: virgin post and qn on Image Size :)

what do you use to resize your pictures?
    you can use programs like gimp to do so.
    also if you "save for web", the quality will drop as it will compress the image to a smaller file.
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

Are you disappointed by the image after resizing or after uploading? If it's after uploading, then it could be that the website that you upload to compresses the image hence degrading the image quality. Normally, resizing should not degrade the image quality of your photos. It could also be that when you saved the file after resizing, you set the JPEG quality (usually a slider from 1 to 10) to a small number. That will also degrade the image quality.

Use software like gimp or Photoshop, then remember to sharpen after resizing. Makes a world of difference.

If you are uploading to facebook, then you have no choice - Facebook re-compresses your image. So don't upload to there. :P
    Alpha

thanks for the replies!

i used photoshop to do abit of postprocessing (adjust exp, add frame watermark)

but the image quality differs when i save in png of large image size and smaller web friendly sizes.. (interms of sharpness and the color abit diff)
    mochi~ mochi~ mochi~

Quote Originally Posted by ricoreload View Post
    thanks for the replies!

i used photoshop to do abit of postprocessing (adjust exp, add frame watermark)

but the image quality differs when i save in png of large image size and smaller web friendly sizes.. (interms of sharpness and the color abit diff)
    That's the effect of JPEG compression
    Alpha

Where are you uploading your photos to? Flickr? Facebook?

When I think for 'for web', I'm usually thinking email-friendly sizes, either about 600-800px (longest edge). Resizing photos smaller for web generally results in some blurring, softening of details, so a little Unsharp Mask usually helps after resizing.

In any case, if you're using photoshop, you can preview your images before saving if you use the [Save for Web & Devices] option. Toggle the different options to see how they affect the quality of your image.

Welcome to CS...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

roger on all the replies...

thanks guys..
    mochi~ mochi~ mochi~

Welcome to CS
    7D | 17-50 f2.8 | 30 f1.4 | 70-200L | flickr