Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is a Senior Member in CS?

Default Re: What is a Senior Member in CS?

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Nope, he told admin to degre him, then he start a new account.
    Why is there a need to do this?

Anyway, just in case TS thinks this is degen into OT. I think it is also interesting to know what has been happening to "senior members" being forced to change nick.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Why is there a need to do this?

Anyway, just in case TS thinks this is degen into OT. I think it is also interesting to know what has been happening to "senior members" being forced to change nick.
    Someone is writing a novel base on this true account, it will hit all major bookstore in the near future.

Someone is writing a novel base on this true account, it will hit all major bookstore in the near future.
    Titled: SM: a lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Titled: SM: a lifestyle
    How you know the title?????

There will be a photo and autograph session during the book launch at punggol beach.

How you know the title?????

There will be a photo and autograph session during the book launch at punggol beach.
    a pre-requisite for admittance is to carry any Pentax system in. won't need to have any lens mounted

Quote Originally Posted by emlee View Post
    )

My question: what does it take to be a senior member in CS; or what is a senior member? I used to think senior member means members with certain level of photography skills or maturity in discerning good and bad photographs. But of late, I have seen senior members complimenting seemingly bad pictures.
    are you guys new to the internet and forums? do you guys know how this status thingy works? this apply not only to clubsnap but all forums... depend on the admins, they can give them names like "monkey, donkey, idiot, snake..etc..".

this status thingy means nothing at all.....

Welcome to the Internet....duh........
    Last edited by ninelives; 14th February 2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Objection !!!

Objection !!!

Smile Re: What is a Senior Member in CS?

(Hope I don't get slammed for this thread. CS members posting discussion here should exercise caution and maturity.)

My question: what does it take to be a senior member in CS; or what is a senior member? I used to think senior member means members with certain level of photography skills or maturity in discerning good and bad photographs. But of late, I have seen senior members complimenting seemingly bad pictures. e.g. pictures with bad keystone distortion that does not add to the composition, and without any other merits; pictures with horrible white balance, CA and no other compositional merits; pictures with over saturation, bad/ blown highlights, over the edge contrasts and haloing. the list goes on.

Then I realised that perhaps members are senior because they contribute a lot to the forums. By contribute I mean number of posts. Then again, whether these posts contributed to the forum is another matter altogether.

The reason I post this question: I have learned a lot from CS. Back in 2008, CS members seems to be of a different breed, senior or not. I benefited from their truthful (though sometimes harsh and insensitive) comments. It helped me learned what is right/ better (some may argue there is no right or wrong in photography. Granted. But some mistakes, be it technical or compositional, are so obvious, it has to be wrong). Some are subjective, but I took them in nonetheless.

Today in CS, I see many budding photographers (probably due to proliferation of DSLR). I have seen posts that in the past would get slammed (some members more harsh than others), but today, they get a pat on their backs and even the thumbs up. How are they going to learn if they are always encouraged to produce bad pictures? What makes it worse, these comments come from senior members. The TS would think: senior member, must be correct, I should be happy that I am a genuis, just started already got compliments. (pun intended).

So I ask the question: what is a senior member? Someone who made 4,000 posts; or someone with discerning taste. (Note I said discerning taste, not necessarily a good photographer. A good critique need not be a good photographer. A good photographer may not be a good critique.)
    hi emlee,

good topic.

1. senior member does not mean an expert photographer. there are many top photographers in CS who do not post much. e.g. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=7398

2. senior member also does not mean an expert photography critic, as i have seen excellent critiques given by both members and senior members alike. ditto for the less helpful critiques.

3. if TS gets compliments for their photos, it matters not whether the compliments are from senior members or not. however, i would imagine that compliments or critique from a truly respected figure in the world of photography (who also happens to be a CS member), would carry a bit more weight.

4. members being encouraging to other members is not altogether bad, as it motivates the photographer to take more photos and enjoy his hobby. true improvement in one's photography skills however takes much more than harsh and constructive critique on CS. the photographer must put in the commensurate amount of effort (usually huge!) to improve his knowledge, practice and better his skills, before he can see discernible improvement in his standard of photography.

5. a senior member is only a title given to acknowledge the longevity and activity of members in CS. discerning taste is not a prerequisite. however, if you come across senior members who are helpful, skillful and also tastefully discerning, then that's a happy coincidence for you.

cheers,
    z.
    Last edited by zaren; 14th February 2011 at 04:29 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    are you guys new to the internet and forums? do you guys know how this status thingy works? this apply not only to clubsnap but all forums... depend on the admins, they can give them names like "monkey, donkey, idiot, snake..etc..".

this status thingy means nothing at all.....

Welcome to the Internet....duh........
    Not they, just me. I have no idea KPT threads gets so much attention. If these energies are channeled to developing skills, there will be so many masters.

Thank you all who left they comments. It was educational, entertaining, and eye-opening. To respond to some of the post: no, I am not vying for senior member title. What bothers me is the lack of genuine critiques in gallery posts, hence I am less and less motivated to participate in this forum. It is sad as I learned a lot from the members here, most of them not active anymore, save a handful.

I will try to contribute but as this thread demonstrates, I am not half as active as many of you young and energetic members.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post

1. senior member does not mean an expert photographer. there are many top photographers in CS who do not post much. e.g. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=7398
    our Big Shot, Mr Liew!

Arrow Re: What is a Senior Member in CS?

Maybe change to Clubsnap Expert 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, CE1, like the new military rank.

Interesting topic... I have been in this forum for 5 years... Havet even hit 1000 post count yet.... Sob sob... Will take at least 5/6 more years to reach SM... Lol

Anyway... IMHO... There is more life outside than been in a forum... So just go out and shoot more...
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I have seen countless Critique Corner threads that degenerated into a bunch of inane, senseless questions, with the apparent key message behind those questions one of imagined superiority.

I have seen mysterious information being spread about imaginary concepts such as rythem of odds and making the whole scene the subject. Maybe I have much to learn, but I have never in my life, in any book, website or forum (other than here) come across such deep thoughts about photography.

Am I respecting your point of view? Right now, still. The moment I choose to ignore, you will know that I can't be bothered.

I think one point that is worth highlighting here is that I was speaking generally, including people who nosebleed in XMM threads, as well, not just any group in particular. I find it highly interesting (just like how you seemed to enjoy PMing me to tell me that my work was substandard without giving any reasons - guess you didn't enjoy the dressing down subsequently about such actions) that you seem to take it all upon yourself and address this as an attack on you/your group/anyone associated with you.

To me, a lot of the "helping" and "paying it forward" here had taken a turn somewhere along the road. You may want to take a page from feedback given in dribs and drabs (e.g. Moving Chair's statements about how lining up people on the shore of the Esplanade and making them compose a few scenes the same way doesn't really help anyone) and start reflecting upon why people feel that way, instead of suddenly proclaiming people as being immune to attack and painting victims all the time.

I had never made personal attack on anyone - all my criticism on actions/thoughts here were just that - on the thought/actions of people in question; I can't speak for everyone, can I? There is one person I had made exception for at one point in time - perhaps you might want to sit down and take a look at the history and judge for yourself whether such a character (who probably feigns innocence) warrants your defense.
    silver tongue strikes again

Blog Entries

senior member is nothing but a title. i'm getting my promotion soon. am i a very good photographer? hardly. i just got no life, but spend here to tcss and play guitar...

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Hi edutilos (pka N86M ). Thanks for your comments. What is kb?

Thanks for the clarification. I did not realise it was so transparent.

Indeed. Though it begs the question: why did we volunteer? Is it not because we are passionate about photography? Hence the desire to see it blossom? For me, I had enjoyed the interaction I've had with forum members. You are certainly 1 of them I have the joy of interacting. Thank you.

Hi SnagIt, on the contrary, it is meaningless to be a senior manager/ director/ VP of a company where you spend time in it only to support your livelihood. It is more satisfying pursuing one's interest, if one can afford, even without monetary rewards.
    My question has little to do with the members' status, if you had understood it. And I certainly do not vie for a senior status.

Anw, who cares whether one is senior or not?
    indie

Quote Originally Posted by leowyien View Post

Anw, who cares whether one is senior or not?
    You.

Because you are still a non-Senior.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    senior member is nothing but a title. i'm getting my promotion soon. am i a very good photographer? hardly. i just got no life, but spend here to tcss and play guitar...
    you play the guitar? you never mentioned that during out outing!

but !

anyways, a title is a title. i'm a senior member on an unmentionable forum, but it's because i'm a legend there. and old dinosaur from years past

right now it's of no matter to me whether i'm a senior there or not. most of my kind there are just idiot guys out to pick up the girls in the forum. kinda spoils the image.

likewise in here. being a senior member doesn't mean that that person is a good photographer. however, that person might have the theoretical knowledge for photography and his comments shouldn't be taken lightly. likewise, a senior member might know the hardware well, but can't take a good shot for nuts.

but in the end, they're able to help the newbies because of their knowledge. like it or not, they're here. you might not respect the person, but respect the rank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    you play the guitar? you never mentioned that during out outing!

but !

anyways, a title is a title. i'm a senior member on an unmentionable forum, but it's because i'm a legend there. and old dinosaur from years past

right now it's of no matter to me whether i'm a senior there or not. most of my kind there are just idiot guys out to pick up the girls in the forum. kinda spoils the image.

likewise in here. being a senior member doesn't mean that that person is a good photographer. however, that person might have the theoretical knowledge for photography and his comments shouldn't be taken lightly. likewise, a senior member might know the hardware well, but can't take a good shot for nuts.

but in the end, they're able to help the newbies because of their knowledge. like it or not, they're here. you might not respect the person, but respect the rank.
    hahaha! i was some super duper rich member at animerenders.net. used to participate in the GFX wars and signature design. left there for a long time already

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    hahaha! i was some super duper rich member at animerenders.net. used to participate in the GFX wars and signature design. left there for a long time already
    well from our thread you know which forum i'm referring to

As mentioned I guess that there has been a phenomenon of poor photography being encouraged with

And at times, it could be from members who wear the Senior Member tag... but I guess after a while if the newbies are discerning enough to look at threads with exemplary photos, they MIGHT learn what is right or wrong with their own basics.

for myself having had a go with APAD 2010, and followed a number of threads there, it becomes apparent that there are experienced members with good portfolio to show who are nevertheless ... still members.

it's up to the individual how much he or she wishes to learn and be critically aware of honest feedback or tasteless patronization.

having said that, the cultures between the different subforums vary quite a bit. for example i think the macro thread is both encouraging and yet gently critical should the need arise to pinpoint ways to improve.

...while on the other hand, the P&P subforum is quickly becoming a byword around here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast